Bike won’t turn on after updating with Giant RideControl app

GazLeak53

Local time
7:50 AM
Hi, today i made an update on my wife’s ebike (Liv Amiti E+ 2020 ridecontrol Ergo) over the RideControl app. It took about 8 minutes to perform and the app stated 100% done on my phone screen. Then the ebike shot off like normally after updating but the problem is now it won’t turn on again. Battery is fully charged, pressing the battery button to enter diagnostic mode everything is ok, battery is correctly inserted……. It looks like the update failed and bricked the controller. Do anyone have a way to reset it or a trick to force the bike to turn on again

Hi and Welcome :)

This may sound odd but uninstall the app, then reinstall it but do not update it. If in fact the update failed along the line somewhere
check bluetooth and internet connections mate

Already done. But the main problem is that the bike won’t turn on. I press the power button on the controller and all lights stay off. So the bluetooth is also off. Normally after an update, the bike shut off and reboot. But in my case, after getting 100% message of update, the bike shut off, tried to reboot but turn off after 1 second and now is dead. No power at all. Power button do nothing.

Try disconnecting controller from battery for several hours. Press buttons while disconnected. Also disconnect all other connections to controller.

Reconnect, dance the hokey-pokey for 2.7 minutes, see what you get.

Next is Giant tech support.

@GazLeak53 Keep us posted and let us know how you're doin with this.

I think Nelson is right, it might be time to get ahold of Giant tech support...if they will even help..

Keep us posted mate.

Try disconnecting controller from battery for several hours. Press buttons while disconnected. Also disconnect all other connections to controller.

Reconnect, dance the hokey-pokey for 2.7 minutes, see what you get.

Next is Giant tech support.
I will try disconnecting the controller. The only bad thing about it is there is no connector up front. I have to open the motor case to disconnect it (ridecontrol ergo) .

But i really like the idea of dancing holey-pokey for 2.7 minutes, not less not more

@GazLeak53 Keep us posted and let us know how you're doin with this.

I think Nelson is right, it might be time to get ahold of Giant tech support...if they will even help..

Keep us posted mate.
For sure i will keep posted. For now I’m out for a week, but when i will be back home, i will try to solve the problem, or having it solved by a Giant tech.

I made some more tests. I took my own Giant controller and tried it onto my wife’s bike. Everything is working perfectly. I put my wife’s controller on my bike and nothing. So the f*@&$g update has bricked the controller. Giant app is so a nightmare. Now i have to buy a new controller (110$). So to everyone, don’t use the Giant app or if you do so, use it in airplane mode. That way, the app won’t be able to see that it needs an update. I’m not the first to have that kind of ploblem when updating the bike controller.

You appear to be confusing your controller, and display. either could update, either could be defective, but the one that you swapped from your wifes bike, that works on hers and not on yours, it is NOT that part it is the other one.

Overly complex systems are much more prone to problems. KISS formula, which is "Keep It Simple, Stupid."

Final diagnostic. After talking with my Giant reseller, he informed me that the warranty on these parts is 2 years from purchase (purchased mine on june 23 2020, so I’m 2 days before end). I brought the bike to the shop and the tech confirmed wath i had diagnosed. The update of the controller via the Giant App has bricked it. The tech also confirmed that this is not an isolated case. Many customers broke their controller updating them. So be aware.

Final diagnostic. After talking with my Giant reseller, he informed me that the warranty on these parts is 2 years from purchase (purchased mine on june 23 2020, so I’m 2 days before end). I brought the bike to the shop and the tech confirmed wath i had diagnosed. The update of the controller via the Giant App has bricked it. The tech also confirmed that this is not an isolated case. Many customers broke their controller updating them. So be aware.
Wow, that stinks. In that case, it shouldn't matter that your bike is out of warranty, since the MANUFACTURER APPROVED UPDATE is what caused the damage.

You should be able to just send the part into Giant and have them fix and return it to you. I bet they have a little assembly line set up just to do this.

By the way, it has been a few months; did you get any satisfaction?

Back