Bike Lock & Security - Enthusiast & Soon-To-Be Riese & Muller E-Bike Owner

The ebike today is becoming the new Horse... in the past stealing a man's horse was a serious offense in a land where being left afoot could be fatal. Anti-horse theft associations worked through the legal system to prosecute horse thieves. But when the law did not bring a thief to justice, vigilantes often took charge and hanged thieves... I'm ok with that. Maybe just cutting a hand off for the 1st and 2nd offense, I doubt there would be a 3rd.

I find it ironic that Amazon lists bolt cutters on the same page as their locks.

Attachments

• E41DE3DE-501A-4677-A73D-4A2E9F00F092.jpeg
    E41DE3DE-501A-4677-A73D-4A2E9F00F092.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 124
Check this out…..I laughed when I found it last night.

You guys ever hear of a skunk lock?
Evidently it emits noxious vomit inducing chemicals if tampered with. :)

Attachments

• A68FA060-E7E5-40AA-B303-182FA579A9E9.jpeg
    A68FA060-E7E5-40AA-B303-182FA579A9E9.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 127
If this gains reputation amongst bike thieves, you might be well off just painting your U-lock black and white as a visual deterrent.

Nothing to be alarmed about as a bike owner.
Mopeds are getting stolen daily though, according to my nephew in the PD.
I hired a moped over there once. The hiring place gave me a huge chain and padlock to physically lock the moped to something solid. It never went missing!

I use an old rotor lock and I have alarm that will go off when someone or something shakes the bike puts out 120 decibels.
@aaronhamlin did you take delivery of your R&M?
@Black100 I would combine the rotor lock / alarm with another bike lock which attaches to something solid, unless of course you're always very close to the bike.

My security setup;

Decided to go with an 11” U-lock, which fits nicely under my cross tube, and swings out of the way so I can pop out my battery.

Also have a 36” folding steel lock. Due to its weight, and to keep it clear of the battery, I decided to top mount it over the tube rather than hanging it under.

Got a combination cable lock wrapped under my seat.

301569-D5-D13-E-41-A0-9-E29-66-FE731-F039-A.jpg

Don‘t mock the weeds in my lawn. Chemicals kill the Earth. :p

Another thing to consider about security is the keys which one accumulates. I’m glad at least my cable and folding locks have combinations. My ”bike keychain” is getting pretty full.

84925A5B-FC70-4BB4-A8B8-7B8F967EAF9E.jpeg

-MIK key tool for rear rack
-Key for bike battery
-Key for U-lock
-Key for hitch pin lock (another key for hitch extender pin lock in my glove compartment)
-Key for car bike rack cable lock

I‘ve got duplicates of all these on a different ring stored elsewhere in case of loss.

Back