Bike Lock & Security - Enthusiast & Soon-To-Be Riese & Muller E-Bike Owner

aaronhamlin

I just made my order for an e-bike after researching what seems to be forever. I got the R&M Superdelite for my travels in Chicago. This will be my only vehicle (other than the bus or train).
Riese-Muller-Superdelite-GT-Rohloff-51cm-Warm-Silver-Matte.jpg

As many are quick to point out, this bike is expensive—though a fraction of the cost of many cars and much cheaper over time. I got the belt drive and internal gear hub to avoid regular maintenance as well. I also don't like the idea of creating traffic, polluting, finding parking, and contributing to the many ills of a city caused by cars.

The other issue I've been thinking about has been bike security. In fact, I thought so much about it, I wrote a long-form essay. As someone who is into locksport and picks locks and thinks about destructive and nondestructive entry, this was a fun task (the community I'm in doesn't steal, and we use our own locks to practice on). If anyone is interested, you can see what I came up with here: https://www.aaronhamlin.com/articles/completists-guide-bike-security

Really looking forward to riding now that I've made my order at my local bike shop! I'm so jealous of all you with your e-bikes already. :)

Nelson37

Best advice I got is something many owners of stylish new bikes will not want to hear.

FUNK it UP! Make it look unique, different, and highly identifiable. Also ugly enough that even a crackhead would not want to be seen on it. Park next to the pretty bikes, so those will be targeted first.

ID'ing your bike may be a problem. I put my business card in the seat tube. In many cases, there is no way for law enforcement to verify that the bike actually belongs to you. No title.

Been to Chicago many times. Good luck to you with that bike in that city. Secured parking area or it stays in my sight would be my plan.

aaronhamlin

This just doesn't seem like very good advice.

"FUNK it UP! Make it look unique, different, and highly identifiable. Also ugly enough that even a crackhead would not want to be seen on it. Park next to the pretty bikes, so those will be targeted first."

Really, for a bike that costs over $10K? It's already identifiable with a hidden serial number. And I use a UV pen to mark it like I recommended in the article. I also have it registered with bikeindex.org, like I recommend in the article. There are locks that take a lot of time to angle grind. I have two U-locks from Hiplock that take 20min each to angle grind through. I got it on sale during their Kickstarter. I've done plenty of research on this. Again, I wrote an article on this that took me six months to write.

"ID'ing your bike may be a problem. In many cases, there is no way for law enforcement to verify that the bike actually belongs to you."

I have no idea how this would be the case. Also, R&M, hardcodes my information into the bike's software. Not only is this bike inoperable without my specific display, but if another display is used it won't work. And when you take it to the shop and plug it in the computer, my name comes up.

Lastly, I have full-cost reimbursement insurance on the bike through Veloinsurance if someone is so determined as to get through all my security precautions. And after all that, my bike is still cheaper than a 10-year-old Honda Civic and has way cheaper (and more comprehensive) insurance and maintenance and associated costs.

Please don't give this kind of advice to anyone else. It's really not helpful and even counterproductive to being able to fully enjoy owning and riding a bike. Have them read this instead: https://www.aaronhamlin.com/articles/completists-guide-bike-security

Nelson37

Most folks are not riding an expensive boutique bike in Chicago.

Ability to identify a stolen bike is often cited by police agencies as a major problem for recovery.

Few have insurance on their Ebike.

I fully understand how you would have no clue on any of this.

My statements are based on over a decade of research, and almost as long of ownership, of an ebike in an urban area. They come from suggestions of knowledgeable owners with far more experience than I, and certainly you, possess.

You are entitled to your opinion. Evaluating yours, as opposed to mine, is something I would advocate all readers endeavor to do. Insisting that yours is superior is how bad ideas propagate.

Good luck to you.

BBassett

I suggest multiple locks of different designs. I use 2 Altor Apex Ti locks and 2 Ottolock Hexband cinch locks. A disc brake lock isn't a bad idea either. Just remember that any lock can be cut with enough time. Cute bike, if my bike had a girlfriend it would be a SuperDelite. Hope you have taken battery charging in freezing temps into account. Those little packs R & M use are pretty pricey, baby them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADgC6oyPM2gyrCq27

Top Bottom