Bike Carrier

daveinct

Local time
10:03 PM
Greetings,

I have so many single use items that I want to avoid that in a e-bike carrier. I've look at many, from very cheap to very expensive. I can no longer use my four bike "hanging" carrier which was ideal with our regular bicycles. It worked well but I would overload it adding the e-bike. So here is what I am curious about. Has anyone used a cargo carrier to transport there e-bike along with a couple other bicycles. I've attached a picture of one that is 60" long and 24" in width. The tubular sides rise about 6". The total weight capacity is 500 lbs. I figured it would hold the e-bike and three regular bicycles. The cargo carrier also folds up when not in use. This gives me a multi use item. Does this make sense or am I way out to lunch with this idea?

Thank you, Dave
carrier.png

Greetings,

I have so many single use items that I want to avoid that in a e-bike carrier. I've look at many, from very cheap to very expensive. I can no longer use my four bike "hanging" carrier which was ideal with our regular bicycles. It worked well but I would overload it adding the e-bike. So here is what I am curious about. Has anyone used a cargo carrier to transport there e-bike along with a couple other bicycles. I've attached a picture of one that is 60" long and 24" in width. The tubular sides rise about 6". The total weight capacity is 500 lbs. I figured it would hold the e-bike and three regular bicycles. The cargo carrier also folds up when not in use. This gives me a multi use item. Does this make sense or am I way out to lunch with this idea?

Thank you, DaveView attachment 1621
Dave, I’ve seen people do it. The key is strapping the eBike down in such a way that it is stable. If you load more than one bike or a combo of gear it might be a bit challenging. I’m borrowing my buddies fat tire eBike carrier hitch mount which can be expanded from one eBike to two eBikes and is only $150 new. Definitely going to purchase the same unit but hadn’t considered the basket for multiple uses. How will you store it when not in use? Hang from the rafters of the garage?

If you can weld a socket to the center of the basket that could receive an upright to be the basis of a support system; it would be a great idea.

Greetings,

Thank you, DaveView attachment 1621
Dave, I’ve seen people do it. The key is strapping the eBike down in such a way that it is stable. If you load more than one bike or a combo of gear it might be a bit challenging. I’m borrowing my buddies fat tire eBike carrier hitch mount which can be expanded from one eBike to two eBikes and is only $150 new. Definitely going to purchase the same unit but hadn’t considered the basket for multiple uses. How will you store it when not in use? Hang from the rafters of the garage?

If you can weld a socket to the center of the basket that could receive an upright to be the basis of a support system; it would be a great idea.
True but then you may or may not be able to throw a cooler in the basket. Making a bottom bracket that would be flat and allow one to insert or remove a post would be ideal indeed. Like where you’re going with it.

What's the tongue weight load capacity on your receiver/car? You may want just look into a 4-bike tray, that supports the bikes from the wheels, and has a bar for each bike that just "clamps down" either the front wheel or frame.

Back