Bicycling apps

The problem with all these apps (currently, I use Komoot, but it's the same) do not really interface with the motor.

I was wondering how the connection among the display and the motor works with a Bosch motor: I haven't tried yet, but I guess it is is digital (yes, see link below), following some relatively simple proprietary protocol on a CAN bus. If this is the case, I was wondering if someone ever tried to reverse engineer it. Then, one could intercept it with a bypass and save all the values read over the phone.

Some info here: https://tritekbattery.com/introduction-to-e-bike-system-communication-types/

I use RideWithGPS app. I have recorded all my rides with it. It stores your route and details about it, as well as your health details (it interfaces with the Health app in the Apple ecosystem. It may also work for Android but don't know.) It does not collect motor/bike details. I'm not aware of any data collected from e-bikes as they don't provide it for app creators to make use of. Perhaps someday they will. It would be great to know how much time was spent in each PAS level at least. But I really like RideWithGPS and recommend it. There is an annual fee about $50 which isn't outrageous for any serious bikers. That's about $4/month or the price of a cheap latte.

I also use Bikemap app to help me find routes that are biking friendly. It charges about the same $50/yr to access non-OpenMaps maps which annoys me but at least they do let you view the bike friendly routes on their OpenMaps free map.

I'm like leehop71. I use the Apple Watch. It automatically send all the info to my iphone. I guess I'm a willing stooge of the Apple experience!! Ha! Ha! If I need to know where to go I just use the maps app that is already on my phone. I have used MapmyRide on my home computer to plan out different bike tours I have been on.

I got into cycling this summer, and the app the majority of the cyclists and runners seem to use is Strava. It pairs well with Garmin GPS and I think Yahoo also. You can run the app from your phone and don't even need a separate GPS.

When you sign up, it gives you a free trial of the full version, then tries to auto-subscribe you. If you turn that off, you revert to the free version, which is a bit handicapped in terms of analysis features. (which you may not want anyway, from an eBike) It is kind of a social network, and you can follow friends' rides, like them, comment on them, etc.

GarminConnect is trying to do this and is completely free, but Strava already has its meathooks well into the market.

RideWithGPS is another good one.

Try Strava though, and use it to track your rides, walks, runs, what-have-you. Feel free to Follow me, user Jeremy Zorns from Wisconsin.

Yes, I know very well Strava. I subscribed to it for yearsw while I was running marathon etc. Then one of my knee decided otherwise... :cautious: and here I am riding an ebike...

The problem is, once again, that the app does not interface to the bike control, and doesn't allow me to better understand how I ride, if I improve, etc. (I am a bit "data obsessed" :geek:).

Yes, I know very well Strava. I subscribed to it for years when I was a runner. Until two years ago I was running marathon etc., then one of my knee decided otherwise... :cautious: and here I am buing an ebike.

The problem is, once again, that the app does not interface to the bike control, and doesn't allow me to better understand how I ride, if I improve, etc. (I am a bit "data obsessed" :geek:).
It doesn't interface with the bike's control, (there are too many different ones) but it DOES interface with certain GPS units, which in turn can have power meters, RPM meters and heart rate monitors paired and show/analyze that data. I only have a heart rate monitor paired with my GPS, but that along with the GPS data is enough for me. It's enough, along with data I entered manually, to tell me how many calories I burned on a given ride.

You might consider trying Strava again with your eBike. It can supposedly pair directly with a heart rate monitor paired to your phone, but I haven't had luck with that approach so far. On my road bike, I didn't mind, because my phone's battery would not last long enough when it was running GPS; only an hour or two. The separate bicycle-specific GPS units will run all day on a charge and there are three selectable GPS modes, going from more accurate and quicker updating to less accurate (but still adequate) and slower updating and commensurately longer battery life.

OP, pagheca: Here is a typical Strava summary after a ride. This was my past Saturday's road ride. (mechanical)
2023-12-02 Ride Strava.jpg

i use ridewithgps.com app. It’s fantastic but it does have a subscription fee, but I think it’s worth it. Just use their free trial to determine if it’s for you.

Ride With Gps is a good one. Strava tracks everything and has route planning. They all are free but to get all the features you can subscribe. It's not real expensive if you use the yearly plan.

Ride With Gps is a good one. Strava tracks everything and has route planning. They all are free but to get all the features you can subscribe. It's not real expensive if you use the yearly plan.
I have Ride with GPS too, and it charges even for basic features like turn-by-turn directions. That's annoying when you're trying to follow a track.

I don't remember how Strava handles that on the unpaid version. I upgraded to the paid version so I could download GPX files from others' routes and use them in my GPS.

Mini Bike Computer. iOS app. Superb app that records your trip and saves them within the app. We use this for every ride to catalog our rides. Gives speed, distance, elevation, ride time. Coordinates seamlessly with Apple Maps. Free, but well worth a donation to the developer. Take a look!

Back