Best Value Folding eBikes

Frjeff

Local time
7:14 AM
Need two ebikes for self and wife. Both short (5’3” and 5’7”). Not overweight. Considering foldable as I have plenty of back seat room in my F150, and inside RV storage will be easier. All rides on paved or hard packed gravel. No mud or forest trails.
Have lots of questions but will start with just a few:
1) Are the folding hinges durable or is it a major weakness issue?
2) Rad seems to be the oldest of the manufacturers, but not sure of their customer service, etc. Seem to get good product reviews.
3) In addition to Rad, any other manufacturers I should look at (considering quality and value).

I will also keep reading here. Thanks in advance.

Need two ebikes for self and wife. Both short (5’3” and 5’7”). Not overweight. Considering foldable as I have plenty of back seat room in my F150, and inside RV storage will be easier. All rides on paved or hard packed gravel. No mud or forest trails.
2) Rad seems to be the oldest of the manufacturers, but not sure of their customer service, etc. Seem to get good product reviews.
3) In addition to Rad, any other manufacturers I should look at (considering quality and value).

I’d give serious consideration to the Lectric Lite

To your questions:

1. Folding mechanisms are plenty durable in many different ebike designs, if your rides do not involve mud or forest trails, it's not likely that you would come close to stressing out the fatigue strength of the folding mechanism. Unless you're riding down staircases, hopping on & off curbs while seated on the saddle.

2. Rad ebikes have premium pricing on them because of the customer service they offer. If you're handy yourself and don't live close to their service centers; you might just well consider other brands. Since Rad ebikes are likely made in the same factory in China anyway.

3. Value of ebikes depends on the budget you have and how you use your ebikes after the purchase.
Another vote for Lectric

and also Fiido.

To your questions:

1. Folding mechanisms are plenty durable in many different ebike designs, if your rides do not involve mud or forest trails, it's not likely that you would come close to stressing out the fatigue strength of the folding mechanism. Unless you're riding down staircases, hopping on & off curbs while seated on the saddle.

2. Rad ebikes have premium pricing on them because of the customer service they offer. If you're handy yourself and don't live close to their service centers; you might just well consider other brands. Since Rad ebikes are likely made in the same factory in China anyway.

3. Value of ebikes depends on the budget you have and how you use your ebikes after the purchase.
Another vote for Lectric

and also Fiido.
great info. Thanks

I have the Lectric XP 2.0......it's a folding bike and made very well. This model is 64 lbs with the battery installed....on the heavy side. I have no problem putting it in the bed of my pick up but some folks might. It's been a great bike ths far. Lectric does make a "light" bike as well.....structurally.....these folding bikes are very sound. You can't beat Lectric's prices.....good value for the money.

Durable.

Agree with "A" on this one.

I like Lectric. The XP Lite is light enough to actually lift into your truck without throwing your back out. The build quality and component quality is better than the other two eBikes I've had. (heybike and Sailnovo) Brakes don't screech, etc. Good price, too. This is the only one I've bought that I would buy again. Get a large Rubbermaid or other brand tote and it'll be easier to load and unload.

If you don't mind lifting a heavier one (~65 lbs.) the Lectric XP 2.0 has different mechanical speeds and a wider speed range as a result. Battery life will be higher, as you can be assisting at an efficient speed for you to pedal.

You can see review threads on all three of the eBikes I've experienced elsewhere in this subforum. I hope they're helpful.

Durable.

Agree with "A" on this one.

I like Lectric. The XP Lite is light enough to actually lift into your truck without throwing your back out. The build quality and component quality is better than the other two eBikes I've had. (heybike and Sailnovo) Brakes don't screech, etc. Good price, too. This is the only one I've bought that I would buy again. Get a large Rubbermaid or other brand tote and it'll be easier to load and unload.

If you don't mind lifting a heavier one (~65 lbs.) the Lectric XP 2.0 has different mechanical speeds and a wider speed range as a result. Battery life will be higher, as you can be assisting at an efficient speed for you to pedal.

You can see review threads on all three of the eBikes I've experienced elsewhere in this subforum. I hope they're helpful.
thanks!

I like Lectric. I did a lot of reading and researching before buying and finally decided on Lectric. They are less expensive than other comparable ebikes in the same class and their customer support is marginally better than you'll get from most off-brand Amazon ebikes.

Although, their "service network" is very misleading in my experience. I think they just list random shops in different areas and are not really affiliated with them at all. I had issues with one of my Lectrics and called the only shop in their service network that's close to me. The shop does not reply to emails or phone calls and is completely useless. Instead, Lectric recommended taking it to any bike shop and they would reimburse me up to a certain dollar amount.

Basically, Lectric's support is decent if you're handy and have some mechanical aptitude. If not, you're going to run into issues. For most hardware-related issues, they will usually just send you the part and expect you to install it yourself.

But aside from the problems I've had with one of the Lectrics I bought, the other one has been solid and they are a lot of fun to ride.

DO NOT BUY A RATTAN!!!! Also after riding both foldable and regular Ebikes of several models I like the stability and handling of the unfoldable alot better. I have a friend who has a Rad and customer support fixed an issue he had very quickly. Customer service is my number one consideration after cost & specs. It can be difficult dealing with companies in China even if they have warehouses in CA

I have 2 bikes. the older one is solid frame ranger. When I went looking for a folder that is what I compared to. I found most frames to be welded aluminium and very good design. Because I am not close to dealer support and I am able to accomplish my own service (with a little online help) I went with an on line buy. With most of these you can swap out components to customize your ride so you look at the frame and things like battery mounting. All that I looked at had excellent hinge arrangement and a solid lockup. So far the battery mount looks like the weak point and I may have to put on a rear carrier to make it better. The frame style limits the placement of a battery in a bar or hanging on a bar.

Check out fabulous bikes from Montreal, high quality and lots of features, I plan on getting the havoc step thru, 30 amp, torque sensor, hydraulic brakes, 52 tooth crank all under 2k american dollars.

Check out Fabulous ebikes from Montreal, full of features and well built, they are my top choice, plan on getting 2 later this year.

The wife and I own two Blix Vika+ bikes. They both easily fit in the back of our Jeep Cherokee with just the seat post removed, and when folded they easily fit into our Prius. We did replace the OEM seat with a larger gell seat and also added handle bar mirrors, and added a few Blix accessory bags. Otherwise these Vika+ bikes are great, especially if you're not wanting to go do any wild or super fast off trail riding.

Back