best ebike for someone in their 70's

we are in our late 60s and I selected an Ariel Rider X-52 because I wanted a performance bike, but my wife is somewhat limited in her condition and desires, so we selected a step-thru CO-OP E1.1 because it had some nice features (like hydraulic brakes, etc.) and the support thru REI seems worthwhile. Mine was $2300, wife's was $1400. Riding hers, it seems well built, and the performance is more than adequate.

Attachments

• coop1.jpg
    coop1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 71
  • x52.jpg
    x52.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 58
I’ve looked at a used Lectric 2.0. I liked everything about it except…
I am 6’6”, and I look like the circus clown on the tiny bike! It’s also very heavy, especially for a folder, since the frame is steel, not aluminum.
I live in a coastal area where anything steel will rust…quickly.
These are my observations. I’m not selling, or warning. Just some things to consider that you won’t find in a company brochure.
View attachment 5770
I don't think you look out of proportion on that bike. IMHO

I think beecool ebikes and senada ebikes can both meet your needs,they are both comperative with high configuration.Es[ecially beecool ebikes has rear suspension.

I'm 79 and ride an Aventon Pace 500 step over. I am seriously considering selling it and replacing with a Pace 500 Step through. Love the bike as is but a step through makes more sense as I age.
I'm 68, 5'-6", 150 lbs. I decided on a step thru as well. My choice was the Ocelot Pro. 750W rear hub motor, 96 nM torque. 20" fat tires. 52V/20A battery. The bike is reasonably fast, has good range, and is easy to handle. Mine is scheduled for delivery today. Unfortunately, I won't be riding it for a few days ... I just got out of the hospital for septicemia. After being stuck in bed staring at the four walls of my hospital room 24-7 for a week, my sensory responses feel deadened. I won't take the bike for a ride until I'm 100%.

I'm 68, 5'-6", 150 lbs. I decided on a step thru as well. My choice was the Ocelot Pro. 750W rear hub motor, 96 nM torque. 20" fat tires. 52V/20A battery. The bike is reasonably fast, has good range, and is easy to handle. Mine is scheduled for delivery today. Unfortunately, I won't be riding it for a few days ... I just got out of the hospital for septicemia. After being stuck in bed staring at the four walls of my hospital room 24-7 for a week, my sensory responses feel deadened. I won't take the bike for a ride until I'm 100%.
Congrats on the bike and wishing you well on your recovery.....be safe!

Congrats on the bike and wishing you well on your recovery.....be safe!

My husband and I are 74 and looking a comfortable, simple to use e-bike for around town with gentle hills. Like keep the price below $1500. Any recommendations?
I'm 84 and after reading lots and riding a few bikes, I decided that I only like mid drive/torque assist /geared hub systems. Bought an Electra 8i used. Rides like a bicycle (no jerky throttle assist for me) and is great for exercise at your level of comfort. Problem: price new is not below $1500. You might look at them however.

Best bang for the buck right now is the Magicycle Cruiser for $1399. Less another $100 if you use a discount code, that brings the price down to $1299. I'd use "Russ1" because I subscribe to his Russ is Right YouTube channel, but you can find your own. There are many sources for discount codes. Note: You may need to split up the order into two separate orders in order to apply the discount code twice. Also, to avoid fees, use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees (if you have one). I think the foreign exchange fee is something like 3%. I highly recommend this bike IF YOU'RE AT LEAST 5'10" TALL.

OTOH, if you happen to be short (like me), then you'll probably want to look into some open frame designs.

Aventon has several models to choose from that are reasonably close to your price range. Be sure to buy the smaller frame, some models come in multiple frame sizes. Their bikes have received generally favorable reviews by customers.

Magicycle also has the Ocelot that is in your price range after applying the Russ1 discount code. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of its more expensive cousin, the Ocelot Pro, but I think it would suit your needs.

The Ocelot Pro would be $378 over your budget for 2 bikes (after applying coupon CM300 and discount code Russ3). If I were you, I'd probably choose the Pro for its better value.
Differences between the Ocelot and the Ocelot Pro:
- 600W/70nM motor vs. 750W/96nM motor
- mechanical brakes vs. hydraulic brakes
- 15Ah battery vs. 20Ah battery
- mechanical front fork vs. hydraulic front fork
- B/W display vs. color display
- Currently, the Ocelot is available only in Pearl White and Space Gray. The Ocelot Pro is available in Army Green and Space Gray (Pearl White may be ordered, but is expected to ship in October).

I own the Ocelot Pro and am very happy with the purchase. Customer Service has been very good (as good as one can expect from an overseas manufacturer). They have been very responsive to my emails, text messages and phone calls. On the minus side: deliveries are slow, language translation issues sometimes arise, and their preferred carrier (FedEx) has a terrible (if not well-deserved) reputation.

If you order from Magicycle, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you order only bikes/bike colors that they have in stock. They tend to make overly optimistic guesses as to when items out of stock will be ready for sale (like 1 to 2 months overly optimistic). While it may not be their fault that their parts subcontractor is backlogged, you're the one that ends up waiting. And unlike other companies, Magicycle will charge you for the bikes as soon as you place your order. It's not fun waiting for your bike that you paid for a while ago.

If you choose the Aventon bikes, please be sure to google "Aventon Customer Service" to apprise yourselves of what to expect from that company's customer service.

My husband and I are 74 and looking a comfortable, simple to use e-bike for around town with gentle hills. Like keep the price below $1500. Any recommendations?
So, almost 4 months later...what did you finally end up with?

I have ridden my son's Trek ebike with a mid drive, as well as Giant and Townie. All mid drives with torque sensors. Recently bought my wife a Velotric Discover 1. Very different riding experience as it is a hub drive with a cadence sensor. You will immediately accelerate to the pre- determined motor output.

Just a couple of days ago I got my Ride1Up 500. Very much closer to the mid-drives than the Discovery 1. Not sure how to describe it except if feels like the amount of assist is proportional to the speed. Unlike the Discover 1, the motor doesn't cutout at some pre-determined level. If you change the PAS level you can feel the boost, but that is true of the first three bikes I mentioned, as well.

Right now, you can get the bike for $1145 with free shipping. The bike with battery removed weighs less than 50#. The Discover 1 is a very pretty bikes with awesome paint, but I wish I had gotten my wife a 500, too.

I have ridden my son's Trek ebike with a mid drive, as well as Giant and Townie. All mid drives with torque sensors. Recently bought my wife a Velotric Discover 1. Very different riding experience as it is a hub drive with a cadence sensor. You will immediately accelerate to the pre- determined motor output.

Just a couple of days ago I got my Ride1Up 500. Very much closer to the mid-drives than the Discovery 1. Not sure how to describe it except if feels like the amount of assist is proportional to the speed. Unlike the Discover 1, the motor doesn't cutout at some pre-determined level. If you change the PAS level you can feel the boost, but that is true of the first three bikes I mentioned, as well.

Right now, you can get the bike for $1145 with free shipping. The bike with battery removed weighs less than 50#. The Discover 1 is a very pretty bikes with awesome paint, but I wish I had gotten my wife a 500, too.
The 500 looks like a nice bike. Well-positioned pricewise in the marketplace. The only red flag for me would be the relatively modest 13aH battery.

If I bought this bike, the first things that I would do would be to add an auxiliary headlight, add rear view mirrors, and upgrade to hydraulic brakes. Then I'd work on adding fenders and a luggage rack. I'd also consider upgrading to a 50T or 52T chainring.

It comes with a really nice headlight. Rode last night when it was very dark. Very bright headlight although the beam could have been a bit wider which would do a better job illuminating the road when trimming sharply. Wish it had a corresponding taillight but it has only a reflector. I bought a blinking taillight on eBay for $5.

I bought the rack and fender package for an extra hundred bucks. The rack is nice with a 55# capacity, the fenders are plastic. Probably not worth the money but they were made to fit the bike and I didn't have to mess around trying to find items that fit.

The brakes work really well. They are Tektro mechanical disk brakes. A mid grade in Tektro's line. I read a number of reviews that talk about the stopping distance of the 500, and how impressed some reviewers we're with it. My experience is I can lock up the wheels at 20mph with no problem.

I've heard that decent mechanical brakes are preferred over low end hydraulics. I guess I'll find out if that is true since my Velotric Discover 1 has low end hydraulics. Certainly I can tell the difference between the braking systems. The hydraulics are very responsive. I am concerned about maintenance, though. I like simple.

Back