Best Bike Racks

vslimm

Local time
10:50 AM
We have a Aventon level and a Pace 500. Want to take our bikes with the car. Any suggestions what kind of trunk mounted bike rack to look for? I'm not sure if the most popular racks are set up for bikes that have a upper support bar running from seat post to the handle bars. We don't really want to mess with adaptors or similar.
Thanks...Victor

We have a Aventon level and a Pace 500. Want to take our bikes with the car. Any suggestions what kind of trunk mounted bike rack to look for? I'm not sure if the most popular racks are set up for bikes that have a upper support bar running from seat post to the handle bars. We don't really want to mess with adaptors or similar.
Thanks...Victor
I don’t think that you will find a trunk mounted rack that is up to the task. Typically, trunk mount racks can only handle 33-35 pounds per bike.

Racks have weight limits, so racks for heavy ebikes tend to cost more and require a hitch with a 2” receiver. Front fenders are an issue with many of the platform type racks as well. Capacity and whether or not it will function with your particular bike are the big questions. Getting heavy ebikes onto a rack is another consideration, (a ramp can be helpful).

I have a Hyperax that I really like. Since I have step thru bikes I need to get detachable cross bars.

The rack will support 200lbs. My bikes combined are about 140.

Thanks...Victor

I have an Aventon Pace 500 as well, Victor, and transport it with a Yakima OnRamp rack.

While I only use it for my one bike, it can carry up to two bikes at 66 lbs each. The Pace is under that….not sure what the Level weighs.

I have been very happy with this rack, and the loading ramp is a back saver. As Django said, you’ll want a good 2” hitch.

3BEA15FE-908B-4DEF-BC40-F25B20AA2F0B.jpeg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Any suggestions what kind of trunk mounted bike rack to look for?
vslimm is looking for a trunk mounted bike rack. Platform, hitch racks will do the job, but I doubt that there are any trunk mounted racks that would meet the need.

We could probably provide more help if we knew the vehicle that the rack will go on. Many vehicles don’t have the option of a 2” receiver. Carrying heavy bikes on a rack that is strapped to a trunk sounds like a recipe for disaster, (or at least damage to the vehicle and bikes).

So we have a Kia forte, does not have any kind of hitch mount currently. Kind of a small car. The other is a Mercedes convertible so that is kind of eliminated from the discussion. We are leasing the kia, planned on buying it next year since it is a great commuter car and my wife drives all over town like crazy. Not sure when the end of lease comes we won't change our minds and get something different mainly because it's fun to get a new car. Maybe a small SUV or something. Thing is we have 60+ miles of awesome paved bike trails about half a mile from our house, we ride that a lot. Still we both want to do a road trip and take our bikes. Thinking it would be like a once a year kind of thing so just trying to figure out a solution with an expense equal to the use. Do not want to get out on the highway only to find out I did not think this through before hand.
Thanks...Victor

So we have a Kia forte, does not have any kind of hitch mount currently. Kind of a small car. The other is a Mercedes convertible so that is kind of eliminated from the discussion. We are leasing the kia, planned on buying it next year since it is a great commuter car and my wife drives all over town like crazy. Not sure when the end of lease comes we won't change our minds and get something different mainly because it's fun to get a new car. Maybe a small SUV or something. Thing is we have 60+ miles of awesome paved bike trails about half a mile from our house, we ride that a lot. Still we both want to do a road trip and take our bikes. Thinking it would be like a once a year kind of thing so just trying to figure out a solution with an expense equal to the use. Do not want to get out on the highway only to find out I did not think this through before hand.
Thanks...Victor

Hi, Victor.

If you are leasing, my guess is your Kia is less than 3 years old. I punched the car in at etrailer.com for a 2020 model, and it looks like the Forte can accept a Class 1, 1 1/4” hitch. This will have a tongue weight of 200lbs, and you have to figure in both the weights of your bikes and the rack itself (and anything you have mounted on the bikes).

I think a hitch is your best option, but you will be limited with a Class 1.

While probably doable with the Forte, if transporting your bikes is important to you, you’ll have to consider that, as you mentioned, when it’s time to roll over to a new vehicle.

Or you can get a couple of those folding ebike thingies and chuck them in the back seat or trunk. :)

Another thing to keep in mind, Victor, before you install a hitch. You would also need a bike rack which is designed to support the weight of your bikes and also fits into a 1 1/4” hitch. You can buy a hitch adapter which will bump it up to a 2” receptacle, but use caution there as hitch adapters can reduce tongue weight capacity by as much as 50%.

Being in the same position of finding the perfect bike rack for every application, I have come to the conclusion that its inception has yet to be comprehended. So the next step is to apply that thought to the next level, stay tuned:)

A back mounted to a 2" hitch receiver can handle a wide variety of bike racks and support their weight with no risk of damage to the car or the bikes. I added a hitch receiver to our Toyota Rav4 plug-in hybrid and it works well with our 1Up bike rack. Advantage of the 1Up design is that the platforms are higher off the ground and the second one in the very back is higher off the ground than the first platform section.

Check as to whether a 2" hitch receiver can be mounted. With our Rav4 I mounted the $200 Curt hitch receiver myself but a local shop was willing to do it for $150.

Trunk mount is not going to do it for you.
Regardless of whether you buy the Forte after the lease is up, you'll find that the cost of the hitch and rack together are more than the bike. (and that assumes you install it yourself!)

How about buying a couple of nice Lectric XP Lites and a pair of big Rubbermaid totes. Fold them up, put the min the totes, then just load them into the back seats.? This costs you $1600 and change, and will work in any car with a back seat. You could put it in the passenger seat of the Mercedes when you're going solo...

Back