BBSHD not fitting on Giant Talon 2 2022

jthoni

Local time
3:45 AM
I have a new Giant Talon 2 (2022) and a BBSHD motor. I have seen many posts of people putting this motor on the Talon 2 (though pre-2022) and other similar Talons. I am finding it is only fitting when hanging straight down. Am I missing something? The diagonal tube extends slightly past the bottom bracket to allow for internal cable routing (and I think I see this in pictures of others who have installed this motor).

empty.png

This is blocking the motor from being able to rotate up.

contact.jpg

Did they maybe make a change in 2022 (though when I looked in the store, the 2021 seemed the same), or am I doing something wrong? I can't rotate it before putting through the bracket as the mounting tab would hit the frame.

You may have to carefully grind or file down the offending part on the frame. Hopefully the cables would not cause interference after that. I most often read about the internal diameter of the frame bottom bracket being the issue.

I was almost sold on griding this down, but I am worried that it is more than just the lip of the tube. I wonder if the fact that the entire down tube hangs lower than the bb will mean that I won't have clearance to rotate the motor. I don't want to grind this and then find it still won't work. I do see that there is clearance for the cables, but I can't quite get an accurate mental picture of where the motor will finally sit.

A couple more pictures to help illustrate:
CloseUpWithLine.png

The thin red line is where the bottom of the tube would be if it didn't bottom out right to the bb.

Here is another angle:
downTube.png

And another video just for giggles:

cut smooth spread.

Cut to reroute....smooth to stop nicks....spread to make sure BBSHD or whatever hugs nicely.

just cut that hood back a bit and go from there mate. a little at a time
ya dig wut ima sayin mate?

you are Not missing anything mate. just have to trim some of that shroud/housing abit...make sense? then spread those cables out and you'll be Golden

How much did the bike cost? The old rule 0f thumb for the shadetree mechanic was "modify the least expensive part". Could you shave a bit off the motor case and make it work? I probably would have already shaved down and deburred the frame.

How much did the bike cost? The old rule 0f thumb for the shadetree mechanic was "modify the least expensive part". Could you shave a bit off the motor case and make it work? I probably would have already shaved down and deburred the frame.
how much did my bike cost with the BBSHD ?

Mate I bought a BBSHD from lunacycle and paired it with a 60v 45ah battery. Start slow and work yur way up...that's what i did....hurts sometimes when we make mistakes.... but you can do it mate...Just take a bit off and spread those cables...make sense?

Heck no dont shave off the motor housing brother....or sister....

I have a new Giant Talon 2 (2022) and a BBSHD motor. I have seen many posts of people putting this motor on the Talon 2 (though pre-2022) and other similar Talons. I am finding it is only fitting when hanging straight down. Am I missing something? The diagonal tube extends slightly past the bottom bracket to allow for internal cable routing (and I think I see this in pictures of others who have installed this motor).

View attachment 3696

This is blocking the motor from being able to rotate up.

View attachment 3697
Did they maybe make a change in 2022 (though when I looked in the store, the 2021 seemed the same), or am I doing something wrong? I can't rotate it before putting through the bracket as the mounting tab would hit the frame.

What did you do about this Issue? Do you have any pictures of the completed job? I just bought a talon and intend on doing the same thing

I've been trying to fit a BBS02 motor on a Polygon Siskiu mountain bike for a friend. It's a fairly nice (read expensive) bike made in Indonesia. The front downtube extends a ways out from the bottom bracket before curving upwards. The bottom bracket measured 73mm but a 68/73mm motor encounters some interference from the heavy duty chainstay needed because it is a full suspension bike. So on the right side there is not enough of a stick out to fasten the motor properly to stop it from rotating under power. So I ordered a BBS02 with 100mm width for him. That will work but the issue now is due to the frame design the motor must hang straight down which really messes up ground clearance. Not a great outcome for a mountain bike that gets used on trails.
Long story short we will prob sell the 68/73mm motor locally, and install the 100mm motor on his Moose brand fat bike. Then I found a CYC mid motor. It's design allows the motor to be swiveled up even on a bike with a frame like his. The CYC motor has longish brackets that extend from the bottom bracket and it uses a second chain that runs to the slightly remote motor. It's expensive and the early reviews didn't give it great marks for reliability but it's in the 3rd generation now and the company claims all the bugs have been ironed out. I have no idea if the friend will want 2 e bikes but he and i are in our early 70's so you never know.

Back