BBSHD 1000w mid drive/2019 fathom/52 or 48?

Mando

Local time
6:47 AM
I’ve converted a few bikes to mid drive 750s/48 volts. I just got my hands on a 2019 Giant fathom for a steal. I want to throw a mid drive 1000watt on her. I’ve come across a few post’s where guys were having issues running these 1000w motors with 52 volt batteries. I believe it was some sort of interface issue with the control screen? Was curious if these issues were still manifesting themselves with the 52 volt batteries? Also, if anyone has any suggestions or things to be aware of regarding this model bike and the conversion, please chime in. Thanks in advance!!! Derek.

Nope no issues with running a 52v 35ah battery and a 60v 45ah battery on a lunacycle BBSHD with the off road programming.
I got the eggrider V2 display which allows you to control quite alot of settings/parameters within the BBSHD controller.

So, if you get an older model BBSHD you might run into troubles.
Look around for US made mid drikve ebike kits there are a few out there besides Bafang/Lunacycle

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

Nope no issues with running a 52v 35ah battery and a 60v 45ah battery on a lunacycle BBSHD with the off road programming.
I got the eggrider V2 display which allows you to control quite alot of settings/parameters within the BBSHD controller.

So, if you get an older model BBSHD you might run into troubles.
Look around for US made mid drikve ebike kits there are a few out there besides Bafang/Lunacycle

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP
Thanks!!!

Did this kit fit? Just looking into doing this on the same bike but looks like the bottom bracket is 79mm wide? Will it work

Using anything more than a 58.8V battery will cook a standard BaFang controller.

Using anything more than a 58.8V battery will cook a standard BaFang controller.

Been in some bafang facebook s**t, and the eggrider s**t, now the bbshd can be paired with a 72v no problems.

They had some problems 2021 and earlier stock controllers. As far as i have read an am aware now, no worries with a 72v
but a 90v i heard messes with the display currently.

With the right controller.
exactly....anything below 2019 seems to fluster the the whole system.
some 2021 models will work with anything up to 72v but as far as i seem them talking about, still with issues.

So yeah, get the right controller for your BBSHD or enquire with the BBSHD, Bafang or eggrider people on facebook that tune these to
beat them up.

I got mine from luna with the hot rod programmed ludicris v2 controller.

exactly....anything below 2019 seems to fluster the the whole system.
When I replaced my BBS02 for an HD I swapped the motors, everything went perfectly. The next day I packed my trailer for a long ride, food, drink, toys, a recliner, about 100 lbs of gear with the front panniers. I charged the pack to 56.8V / 86% capacity (my standard charge), and the spare pack to 58V because I thought I would be doing a minimum of 100 miles loaded. The day was beautiful, I was enjoying it so much that I rode about 65 miles and still had voltage to work with. I don't deplete my packs past 45.4V / 20% and I was still above 50V. I knew I had a full pack and thought it might be nice to splurge on the way home... so I kept riding until I hit 20% capacity. I stopped, got out a small folding stool, a little pot, some grapes, opened up the trailer, and replaced the two packs. Put everything away smiling, basking in the glow of the perfect day, and then... nothing. There was no throttle, there was no assist, the display came on and showed my precious 58V sitting there begging to be used, and nothing. So where do you start troubleshooting first? I pulled the used pack out of the trailer, reconnected it and everything worked fine. Scratched my head and smoked another hit tried to think of anything else to test, and then started grinding home. The shortest route was 30+ miles with a massive incline and heavy traffic the whole way, so I saved those precious few last volts to get up the b**ch, stopped 4 times, had to stop 4 times. The whole way I was thinking about the full pack in the trailer, pissed off, wondering if I should stop and troubleshoot it again for the 4th time. The next day I called California ebikes where I bought the BBSHD and explained what was happening. BaFang had a full run of controllers that would lockout if the input voltage was at 58V. So, yeah. At least I knew what it was at that point. Doug shipped a new controller and gasket express, swapped it out with the brand new controller that came with the motor, and have been riding it since, over 25K miles, and hoping for another 6K this year.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G5bHVMQDH4wxP4rB7

Back