BBS02 500C display issue

the_deuce

Local time
6:46 PM
My 500C display turned off mid ride and the bike died. I was able to charge the battery like normal to a full 57V. I see 57V using a multimeter at the cable going into the display. So seems the battery harness is fine. Thought for sure it was just a dead display but I ordered a new one, and that one won’t turn on at all either? Could it be something in the battery not allowing a current load to the controller display? Like a bad BMS?

My 500C display turned off mid ride and the bike died.
You did exactly what I would have done to start... replace the 500C, now you have a backup. If that didn't work I would swap batteries (if you had another) the next thing I would replace is the controller attached to the BaFang. If you do swap it just pull the old one and connect the new one to the spade connectors on the motor and test it before buttoning everything up. If you order a new controller get the gasket that goes with it, you may not need it but it's better to have it if you do.

Thanks BBassett. A new controller was my next guess. I believe the controller generates a +5V that passes up the cable harness whereas the battery voltage passes through. I don't see a 5V so definitely suspicious of the controller. Do you have a recommendation for new controller vendor? I see Luna Cycle has a 750W 48V controller upgrade for BBS02 as in link below. I have a 52V battery however. concerned it won't work with 48V controller.

A new controller was my next guess.
I lucked out and found Doug Snyder at California Ebike (https://california-ebike.com/) when I started building my ebike. He actually mounted my 1st motor, a BBS02, on a new Tout Terrain Panamericana frame for me. I replaced the 02 with an HD a few years later that I bought from him along with a full set of rebuild parts. The HD came with a glitchy controller that wouldn't...., oh, man, I think I know what your problem is. You said you charge to 57V right? When I mounted the HD I rode for a day with a pack charged to 56.8V, everything was fine. The next day I loaded the bike and trailer for a long ride and charged the 2nd pack to a full charge of 58.8V. After 60+ miles of easy riding I stopped and ate, relaxed knowing I had over 2000Wh in the 2nd battery, life was good. When I swapped the batteries the same thing happened to me, no power, no assist. It was an emotional moment for me. I swapped back to the 1st pack and the motor worked fine. I found out that the controller that came with the motor couldn't take the 58.8V input.... a bad batch. After talking it through with the rep for California Ebikes they sent a new controller and I was riding two days later.

Controller replacement: https://photos.app.goo.gl/G5bHVMQDH4wxP4rB7

I've been using btrpower 52v and 60v batteries on my bbshd with not a problem.
I have a BBS02 that uses a 52v 30ah battery with no problems, but the bbshd uses both the 52v 30ah and the 60v 45ah battery.

The newer eggrider display will allow up to 72v..early on they had problems with anything over 58.8v (a 52v battery) which have now (seemingly) been fixed.

Just have to be careful where ya get batteries from. Just my own experience.

Back