Battery Status on 860C Display

Vinz

Local time
1:22 PM
I've been running a Bafang BBS02 with an 860C display, and 48V 17.5AH battery on my bike for a year - works great.
I just upgraded to a BBSHD, using the same display and battery. Everything works great EXCEPT the graphical battery status on the display. It shows about 50% of normal. However, the numeric display is correct, a full charge shows 54.4 volts, and it decreases normally as I ride.
I don't understand how the graphical display shows only about 50% on a full charge, and gradually goes to 0 as I ride. Sure I can ignore it, but it's just bugging me. How can the graphical and numeric displays be so different?
I have a feeling that no one else has experienced this, but hopefully there's a simple answer for this.

You are not alone in this, my BBSHD configured for 52VDC with the 860C display, and a 48VDC battery has given me conflicting battery level readings since day 1. My first few rides were cut short as I thought I was really close to the Low voltage cutoff point, and I dialed down the power
level and headed for the truck. But I finally decided to test this and continued to ride knowing I could still power the bike manually. Needless to say, I ran out of enthusiasm before the battery ran out of power. I did reprogram the 860 to a 48 volt battery, but it did not appear to correct the issue.

You are not alone in this, my BBSHD configured for 52VDC with the 860C display, and a 48VDC battery has given me conflicting battery level readings since day 1. My first few rides were cut short as I thought I was really close to the Low voltage cutoff point, and I dialed down the power
level and headed for the truck. But I finally decided to test this and continued to ride knowing I could still power the bike manually. Needless to say, I ran out of enthusiasm before the battery ran out of power. I did reprogram the 860 to a 48 volt battery, but it did not appear to correct the issue.
Nice to know I'm not alone. I too tried changing the value the 860's voltage setting to all four values (36, 48, 52, OFF) - no change.
I managed to locate a DPC18 display - tried it - exact same thing! It must be something in the motor's controller.
I erroneously thought that a display that works on a 48V S02 would also work on a 48V SHD.
I should be getting a 850C soon, I post my results.

For what it's worth, I have an answer to why I have this issue.
My BBSHD's firmware is preset to 52 volts. This value cannot be changed by using the display OR EVEN with the configuration tool and programming cable. I think most HDs are also set like this.
There is special software to update/flash the firmware, which I downloaded - but I'm too much of a chicken - afraid I might brick the motor. But I did see a YouTube video about this. This software also uses the programming cable.
So being a chicken, I decided to buy a 52v battery, which was my plan for the future anyway - I'll just do it sooner than planned.
(BTW, I received the 850C display, but it had the exact same issue as the other two displays.)

Flashing is easy, and fairly safe. You just need to take a few precautions to make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the process is not interrupted once it begins. Pets, kids, power outages, use a laptop with a good battery or a PC on a battery backup. Make SURE all cables are firmly attached.

A replacement controller is fairly inexpensive, a bit of a hassle to install when internally mounted, but a LOT cheaper than a new battery and charger.

Flashing is easy, and fairly safe. You just need to take a few precautions to make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the process is not interrupted once it begins. Pets, kids, power outages, use a laptop with a good battery or a PC on a battery backup. Make SURE all cables are firmly attached.

A replacement controller is fairly inexpensive, a bit of a hassle to install when internally mounted, but a LOT cheaper than a new battery and charger.
Thanks for the encouragement!
I do have experience upgrading firmware on several of my cameras, and I know a clear head, good instructions and no interruptions are essential. I did connect to the controller with the flash software, and it connected fine, and successfully read the MPU (main processing unit, I think). My issue is that there's more than one version of the 48V upgrade file available, and I can't find any useful descriptions. Also I've read where several people have successfully made the 52V to 48V flash change, but now get errors when using the configuration tool....which can be overcome by flashing with another file. And there's no way to save the existing flash configuration to use as a restore file should you need to "downgrade".
So it's more research and price shopping for me. In the meantime, the bike runs great.

Multiple versions, no docs, various bugs - hey, if it was simple and easy, where is the fun in that?

There is a dedicated, solid dude making good firmware that is reliable, regularly improved, with few reported problems - unfortunately it is for the tsdz, or Tongsheng crank drive, the one with the torque sensor. Ain't life grand?

Nelson 37 I would love to talk to the dude you referenced in the above message about the Tongsheng firmware programming . Can you give us his name?

Back