Battery replacement question/issue - Bulls Cross Lite-E

ChuckP

Local time
11:24 AM
Hello - I have a 2017 Cross Lite-E with a Bosch PowerPack 500 battery. At purchase, I had a projected range of 94 miles in Eco mode. Now that battery has degraded (113.5 full cycle charges so that my projection is 53 miles. Logical enough! I recently purchased a new Bosch PowerPack 500, expecting that it would restore my 94 mile projected range. However, it shows me a projected range of 54 miles - same as my five-year-old battery. Has anyone else had a similar experience with replacement? The Bosch people have essentially told me that they are stumped. I'd love to hear from others in this situation, whether your original range (approximate) was restored or whether the range remains well below anticipated. Thanks!

You bought an expensive bike, with complex, custom, PROPRIETARY wiring and communication between the battery and controller. Only Bosch has specs and equipment and knowledge to fix this problem. You should have the same range as the first, new, battery provided, what the system is guessing is not relevant. I would say to do a total wipe and factory reset on the electronics, but this should only be done at a verified Bosch dealer with a written guarantee that a replacement bike will be available if the procedure results in your bike no longer working, AND such replacement bike is on hand and immediately available. Because such a result has happened before in similar situations.

Also, I do not think they are "stumped", rather that the system tracks battery state very closely to make the estimate, and they made no provision for more than one battery being available. If you do the reset as stated above, I would bet money that your original battery will no longer show the same estimated range. The Bosch people just do not want to admit this really silly error. Go to your dealer and ask them if these results would in fact occur if you do the reset. Look in the menus for any sort of Battery #1 or #2 selection, or any ID codes for your individual battery, bet there ain't any.

My replacement battery was inexpensive, and connected easily with red and black power wires ONLY, I do not need an expensive computer with no knowledge whatsoever of environmental and road conditions to make a GUESS at my projected range, I know from my state of charge, wind, weather, and hills on my route, and how much effort I feel like putting out, what my range will be pretty closely. Note that your bike knows ONLY the first of those data.

You bought an expensive bike, with complex, custom, PROPRIETARY wiring and communication between the battery and controller. Only Bosch has specs and equipment and knowledge to fix this problem. You should have the same range as the first, new, battery provided, what the system is guessing is not relevant. I would say to do a total wipe and factory reset on the electronics, but this should only be done at a verified Bosch dealer with a written guarantee that a replacement bike will be available if the procedure results in your bike no longer working, AND such replacement bike is on hand and immediately available. Because such a result has happened before in similar situations.

Also, I do not think they are "stumped", rather that the system tracks battery state very closely to make the estimate, and they made no provision for more than one battery being available. If you do the reset as stated above, I would bet money that your original battery will no longer show the same estimated range. The Bosch people just do not want to admit this really silly error. Go to your dealer and ask them if these results would in fact occur if you do the reset. Look in the menus for any sort of Battery #1 or #2 selection, or any ID codes for your individual battery, bet there ain't any.

My replacement battery was inexpensive, and connected easily with red and black power wires ONLY, I do not need an expensive computer with no knowledge whatsoever of environmental and road conditions to make a GUESS at my projected range, I know from my state of charge, wind, weather, and hills on my route, and how much effort I feel like putting out, what my range will be pretty closely. Note that your bike knows ONLY the first of those data.
Thank you so much for the thorough and helpful response! I appreciate all the information and suggestions, and I will be taking my bike to the dealer where I purchased it for further assistance. Your cautionary note about possible results is also valuable and I will proceed carefully, checking current inventory and being sure to protect the bike in writing.

I knew that I would not ever actually get 94 miles per charge - when the bike was new I could count on about 75-80 miles, which was more than adequate for me. When I first tried out the new battery and saw the projected (low) range, I thought that perhaps a "real-world" experience would produce more mileage than anticipated based on the projection. However, that does not seem to be borne out - it appears that the projection is pretty accurate (i.e., I get approximately 45-50 miles per charge rather than the original 75-80).

Once again, I'm very grateful for your input, and I will let you know when I have more information. Thank you!

Back