Battery powered chainsaw DIY ebike

scotty94

Local time
12:51 AM
Has anyone build an ebike out of a battery powered chainsaw? I've come across a battery powered pole chainsaw for free and was thinking of making a DIY ebike since I don't have the funds to build a proper ebike :( Does anyone think this would work?

It probably wont work too well, ebike batteries have a much larger capacity than battery powered tools. A battery powered chainsaw motor might not have enough torque either.

It could be done and probably has been done but it might not be too effective. The biggest expense in an ebike build is the battery. Have a look around to see if you can recycle the cells out of second hand battery powered hand tools and put them all together to create a larger battery pack. It takes a lot of time and you need some knowledge and soldering skills but it can be an option for building a battery with limited funds.

How many Ah's is the Chainsaw battery? I've seen an electronic weed eater which was 2Ah and 48Volts which works out to about 96 Watts. Electric bicycle motors are usually around 250 Watts at the minimum. It might work but you won't get very far on a small battery pack of that size.

I have a brushless 'Remington' brand donor chainsaw. The motor is 24,000 rpm at 40 volts. 1200watts, There is a 4 to 1 gear reduction attached to the motor with a nice collection of mounting holes all over the unit. I am in the process of attaching the power output shaft to the worm gear reduction from a skill model 77 'skillsaw'.. that gives me another 5 to 1 reduction and a 90 degree change of rotation. I get to use the saw blade attachment system to mount the small sprocket (then the chain ..then to a bigger sprocket on the other side of the bike rear hub. Batteries are not a problem. It will take me a while to get it together but I am having fun with it now.

On gas chainsaws, removing the drive sprocket can be darn near impossible. You may have better luck.

Back