Battery Capacity or How much "gas" is in your "tank"

CloneWerks

Local time
8:43 AM
Excerpt from good article by the Electrify Bike Co.
Full article at this link

Lithium Ion batteries vary in voltage from full to empty. This is consistent across all batteries of the same nominal voltage. For example, if you have a 48v battery, 48 volts is the 'nominal' voltage or middle of the range of voltages for that battery. When you charge a 48v battery it actually charges to 54.6 volts and when it is empty it will be somewhere around 40-41 volts. Most ebike displays can show the actual voltage of the battery at any point in the discharge cycle. If you don't see the voltage on your display, go into the configuration menu and chances are you will see an option to enable having the voltage on your display. Sometimes you have a choice between voltage and percent. Choose voltage. Usually you already have a battery gauge that is roughly showing the percent of charge by graphically showing the battery with part of it lit. To know exactly how much battery you have left using the voltage reading, memorize the below voltage values for your battery and you will always know exactly how much charge you have left.

52 Volt Battery
58.8v – full tank
53v – half tank
46v – almost empty
42v – empty
48 Volt Battery
54.6v – full tank
49v – half tank
44v – almost empty
41v – empty
36 Volt Battery
42v – full tank
38v – half tank
33v – almost empty
30v – empty

For my 52v (58.8v) my shut off is at 39v at the BMS.
I have my batteries made at 58.8v and the LVC at 39v...so you can have your batteries made to do what ya need if you deal with
the battery makers.

Not everything is written in stone.

Just sayin....talk with the right people and your battery can be Made to suit personal needs.

Ride Safe :cool:

HP

For my 52v (58.8v) my shut off is at 39v at the BMS.
I have my batteries made at 58.8v and the LVC at 39v...so you can have your batteries made to do what ya need if you deal with
the battery makers.

Not everything is written in stone.

Just sayin....talk with the right people and your battery can be Made to suit personal needs.

Ride Safe :cool:

HP
And that's fine, but this isn't info for edge-cases, it's a general set of guidelines for the newly-arrived who have these kinds of questions and who know absolutely nothing about battery care.

And that's fine, but this isn't info for edge-cases, it's a general set of guidelines for the newly-arrived who have these kinds of questions and who know absolutely nothing about battery care.
Agreed.

What is an "edge-case" ?

Agreed.

What is an "edge-case" ?
If you know enough about battery-packs and performance to start requesting custom builds, you are an "edge case" (on the upper edge of the knowledge graph if you were to draw out a bell curve). The vast majority of folks, even experienced ones, have absolutely NO idea about batteries, capacity, and maintenance. Most folks think it's full and empty like a glass of water and don't understand that it's more like "Full in terms of practical use but not-quite-actually full to increase battery life" and "empty in terms of practical use but not actually quite void of charge".

If you know enough about battery-packs and performance to start requesting custom builds, you are an "edge case" (on the upper edge of the knowledge graph if you were to draw out a bell curve). The vast majority of folks, even experienced ones, have absolutely NO idea about batteries, capacity, and maintenance. Most folks think it's full and empty like a glass of water and don't understand that it's more like "Full in terms of practical use but not-quite-actually full to increase battery life" and "empty in terms of practical use but not actually quite void of charge".
Very good. Thank you for explaining that to me.

Good mornin by the way, good to see ya Clone :)

Excerpt from good article by the Electrify Bike Co.
Full article at this link

52 Volt Battery
58.8v – full tank
53v – half tank
46v – almost empty
42v – empty
48 Volt Battery
54.6v – full tank
49v – half tank
44v – almost empty
41v – empty
36 Volt Battery
42v – full tank
38v – half tank
33v – almost empty
30v – empty
This excellent information would you consider also posting it on our Resources Tab?

Back