BafangRear Hub Motor

Wac222000

Local time
12:57 PM
Hi I have a Bafang rear hub motor which is restricted to 15 mph and would like another 5 mph to help me get over the hills. Does anyone know how to derestrict it to get more speed. Someone said you can get a tuning cable but mine is a 9 pin and don’t seem to find any

you could try eggrider display which allows you to get into the controllers settings.

i'm not sure if it can be used for a bafang hub motor though :unsure:

Hi I have a Bafang rear hub motor which is restricted to 15 mph and would like another 5 mph to help me get over the hills. Does anyone know how to derestrict it to get more speed. Someone said you can get a tuning cable but mine is a 9 pin and don’t seem to find any
The hub motors' top speed is usually governed in the display itself. Everything you can do is done in the display settings. the programming cable thing is for mid drives and thats a different kettle of fish. So, you need to be able to get into your display's settings, which usually involves some kind of multiple-keypress-and-hold kind of thing to let it show its setup screen. What is your display? A picture might be enough to tell us what we need to know.

Unfortunately, additional speed is not going to do much other than to help get you a running start. You won't actually have any more oomph (torque) to make the motor spin harder. It'll just spin faster so you have a higher start speed at the bottom of that hill you just ran up to.

Also, its hard to say whether or not your bike has any more to give. Lets back up a bit to explain using more commonly understood automotive terms: Think of your battery voltage as horsepower. Think of your controller amperage as torque. Horsepower helps your top speed, but torque helps give you grunt off the line. There is an old saying: Horsepower helps sell cars, torque helps cars win races.

With that out of the way, what is your battery voltage? If it is 36v, you may be close to your peak speed already. Especially if you have smaller, 20" wheels on say a folding bike. A 26" fat bike with a 48v battery and an average weight rider can get up to maybe 23-25 mph. Thats with tall 4.5"+ tires.

To get up a hill though, with a hub motor, without losing that head of steam, you need more torque to keep that motor grunting up the hill. Thats where your real improvement will come going up a hill. Unfortunately upgrading your controller - and probably your battery voltage to get hold of a pack that can handle the bigger amp draw - is probably a little more DIY upgrading than you care to undertake to get a satisfying result.

The hub motors' top speed is usually governed in the display itself. Everything you can do is done in the display settings. the programming cable thing is for mid drives and thats a different kettle of fish. So, you need to be able to get into your display's settings, which usually involves some kind of multiple-keypress-and-hold kind of thing to let it show its setup screen. What is your display? A picture might be enough to tell us what we need to know.

Unfortunately, additional speed is not going to do much other than to help get you a running start. You won't actually have any more oomph (torque) to make the motor spin harder. It'll just spin faster so you have a higher start speed at the bottom of that hill you just ran up to.

Also, its hard to say whether or not your bike has any more to give. Lets back up a bit to explain using more commonly understood automotive terms: Think of your battery voltage as horsepower. Think of your controller amperage as torque. Horsepower helps your top speed, but torque helps give you grunt off the line. There is an old saying: Horsepower helps sell cars, torque helps cars win races.

With that out of the way, what is your battery voltage? If it is 36v, you may be close to your peak speed already. Especially if you have smaller, 20" wheels on say a folding bike. A 26" fat bike with a 48v battery and an average weight rider can get up to maybe 23-25 mph. Thats with tall 4.5"+ tires.

To get up a hill though, with a hub motor, without losing that head of steam, you need more torque to keep that motor grunting up the hill. Thats where your real improvement will come going up a hill. Unfortunately upgrading your controller - and probably your battery voltage to get hold of a pack that can handle the bigger amp draw - is probably a little more DIY upgrading than you care to undertake to get a satisfying result.

IMG_4536.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 87
You are going to have to learn what display model that is, and hunt down an instruction manual on the web somewhere. Its not something anyone is going to know who hasn't worked with that exact display before. If you have a 250w motor and a 36v battery, there may not be much room to grow whether the display is restricted or not. A low-wattage, low-voltage motor can only do so much.

Unfortunately, anytime hills are involved we highly recommend no less than a 750W motor to be able to make it up them without pedaling being required in addition to what the bike is capable of on its own when less than 750W.
r: Lishui 36V250W Controller
I know about those Bafang programming cables and there are two kinds of connectors - the round 5 pin (Julet) and the 9 pin (CAN).

The old 5 pin was UARt and allowed for reprogramming but as far as I know BAFANG changed to the New CANbus system to keep people from changing the limitations on their motors. LOCKED UP TIGHT.

As far as your current controller, you can't change anything their unless your Bafang motor is a dual voltage model (meaning it can use 36v and 48v, you won't be able to push it to produce more wattage.

As far as the display, on some Bafang setups the Speed limit is set thru the display which you can unlock by going into the ADVANCED MENU and entering a code (ie. 1919) to be able to access the hidden menu. Unfortunately this submenu is based on the display programming, and THAT programming is subject to the ebike manufacturers' wishes whether to allow it to exist or not, and the controller speed limit is also made to order so you may not be able to use the controller to bypass the speed limitations.

Could help with research on that but uncertain which bike. Could get more speed with a setting or maybe that's all the power the particular bike has.

My experience with Himiway Cruiser is that top speed is not limited by power but by controller speed limiting. I have mine set for 9 levels of peddle assist and maximum speed. I reach maximum speed with level 6 selected (60% boost) and cannot get much more mph by selecting more boost (my earnest peddling in a high derailleur gear can bring the speed up a bit).

But the hill climbing boost is something else. This bike has excess power and selecting a level near 100% allows some remarkable hill climbing. For example, in the dirt, there is a steep bank I have never been close to topping with my conventional MTB. Hit the bottom at max speed and come to a halt halfway up and in jeopardy of sliding back down or wheeling over backward. Stick the e-bike in level 9 and have an honest go at it. Won't get max speed but easily up and over. I feel like Superman.

ILLEGAL in the UK risk your CAR licence by doing it

If your bike or conversion kit was sold for use in the UK it is highly unlikely that you will be able to increase your max speed above 15 mph as that is the max legal speed there. Others from UK may be able to add more info.

We have nanny states and nanny state mentalities. There is a difference between being able to speed and speeding. They do not solve cars speeding with a governor device (but wait for it).
I would simply not speed (where there is risk to others or of discovery). The extra 5mph might be something you use as your choice within a given situation. Would it assist to climb hills? Perhaps but not necessarily at 15mph plus. Reading other responses here, it seems likely your bike manufacturer has set a hard ceiling. Probably frightened of Big Brother.

If your bike or conversion kit was sold for use in the UK it is highly unlikely that you will be able to increase your max speed above 15 mph as that is the max legal speed there. Others from UK may be able to add more info.

Actually it can be done as the supplier/installer of mine said but I refused the throttle (can be fitted when I go OFF road) and increased speed, but FACT, if you are caught with a bike that can motor alone do 15+ on the road it is points ON your car licence

We have nanny states and nanny state mentalities. There is a difference between being able to speed and speeding. They do not solve motors speeding with a governor device (but wait for it).
I would simply not speed (where there is risk to others or of discovery). The extra 5mph might be something you use as your choice within a given situation. Would it assist to climb hills? Perhaps but not necessarily at 15mph plus. Reading other responses here, it seems likely your bike manufacturer has set a hard ceiling. Probably frightened of Big Brother.

Stupid, as MOST WOULD speed the "state" is there to be for the ones, elderly, BLIND, infirm, disabled who would be hit by the morons

You want an extra 5, why not 6, 8, 15 where do YOU want it to end.

Google Pedestrians killed by cyclists UK, and now masses by e bikes in the US, I am glad I live here and not there

Stupid, as MOST WOULD speed the "state" is there to be for the ones, elderly, BLIND, infirm, disabled who would be hit by the morons

Google Pedestrians killed by cyclists UK, and now masses by e bikes in the US, I am glad I live here and not there
Be happy with your nanny. Google and research will show who and under what conditions electric-powered devices are involved with injury and death. If one parses it for their own ideology, there is enough there for scary articles and for Big Brother to get hooks into it. I prefer living free, with all of its risks and responsibilities. My solution for the killing of vulnerable ones? I Don't and I don't support taking my liberty to fix irresponsible actions by others. Punish them when they transgress. As to mph? Stick to speed limits, both legal and the laws of physics.

No. What's stupid is setting ridiculous limits on cyclists who are relatively little danger to other road users, while allowing motorists to own increasingly larger vehicles, with no limits on power or speed - they not only are proven killers, but their emissions mean they are silent killers too. But sure, let's have a go at cyclists who want more power to climb hills?

Back