Bafang Programming Software - Buttons Greyed Out

dlfred1

Local time
5:48 AM
I recently installed a Bafang 750W system on a Catrike Expedition. I'm having difficulty with programming the controller. I have the required cable and followed the same instructions from various sites. Battery is on. Programming cable connected to display and PC. Installed the necessary driver and software. When I plug the cable into the PC, I get a red light. I checked the Device Manager and saw that it recognized the cable. Took note of the COM port and entered it in the application. When I click Connect in the software, the cable light remains red, but also begins to pulsate a blue light. I click Connect and i get the disclaimer and click accept. The 1st page of the software comes up, but all the buttons at the bottom are greyed-out. Thats my problem. Cable seems to work, seem to have the right driver with corresponding COM port. yet going nowhere. Seeking help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, welcome to the forum!

Are you connecting your programming cable IN PLACE of the display? So rather than connecting to the display, you unplug the display and connect the programming cable where the display used to be.

The controller is located in the motor rather than in the display, so you need to connect your programming cable to the motor through the plug that connects to the display.

Let us know if it works!

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes I am connecting to the cable that runs from the display to the harness. I’m beginning to think my problem is with Windows 10. Just don’t know

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad cable. Ordered a new one and it worked. Wrote to the company that they should test these cables but received no response. I read of others with the same problem and their next cable worked as well. I then checked the cable with my scope and found no receive signal coming from the controller. I assume that the chip is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response. Would you share where you ordered your second cable from.
Dan

Thanks for your response. Would you share where you ordered your second cable from.
Dan
I ordered it on eBay. I just put in the search for Bafang and up came the picture with order info. It comes from China. Here is the invoice.

Order Time:
2021-02-27 23:25​
Payment Time:
2021-02-27 23:25​
Store:

i ordered a second cable. same issue, will not connect. I tried two different laptops, no connection. I'm beginning to be concern about plugin and unplugging to the display cable. Tired two separate cables, two different PC's and still no connection. Any suggestions?

I recently installed a Bafang 750W system on a Catrike Expedition. I'm having difficulty with programming the controller. I have the required cable and followed the same instructions from various sites. Battery is on. Programming cable connected to display and PC. Installed the necessary driver and software. When I plug the cable into the PC, I get a red light. I checked the Device Manager and saw that it recognized the cable. Took note of the COM port and entered it in the application. When I click Connect in the software, the cable light remains red, but also begins to pulsate a blue light. I click Connect and i get the disclaimer and click accept. The 1st page of the software comes up, but all the buttons at the bottom are greyed-out. Thats my problem. Cable seems to work, seem to have the right driver with corresponding COM port. yet going nowhere. Seeking help.
Dlfred1... I went through the same issues when I got my Bafang 750W... and then I re-read the instructions, and noticed that it wanted the battery OFF to begin with, then disconnect the controller cable, connect the programing cable (to the lead going down to the motor), THEN turn the battery on....and connect it to your computer.... There must be a startup sequence that initializes the chip in the programing cable, that only runs when you turn the battery on.... Once I figured that out, it works every time..!! I'm also running Windows 10.... Good luck. Dave

I did the exact same procedure. Same issue. Second cable I purchased worked first time. In my case, the issue seems to be a bad chip on the cable. Go figure.

Back