Bafang Motor Protocol

Beachbiker

Local time
11:00 AM
New to the group and want to start with a technical question.
Have a Mango ebikes with a Bafang motors BFSWX02,rear hub drive. 36 volt 250 watt.
My control display went out on one and I can’t find one that works.
Mfg. of the bike says they’re discontinued. Bafang can’t help either.
At a dead end at this point and thinking of changing the controller AND a matching display panel out myself.
Question, will Bafang motors work with all program languages/ protocals, if I change the controller.. i.e. UART, KT, Sine
Can anyone help, or direct me?

Thanks Beachbiker

The language and protocol has nothing whatsoever to do with the motor. 3 phase wires, 3 Halls, plus two power, very standard. Matching the connectors will be the biggest headache, though you can splice, solder, and heatshrink for a permanent connection, which is then a bit of a hassle when changing a flat tire. You can also splice in connectors of your choice. Check your wires, likely bundled but check for 8 connectors, or possibly only three. The Hall wires are very thin and may be a bit difficult to work with. Only three wires would indicate a sensorLESS motor, not all that common but may require a sensorLESS controller. Most are sensored, pretty standard.

Pretty certain that is a geared hub, similar to what I have. SFAIK nothing special or unusual about the controller, I researched a possible replacement a few years ago and had no problem finding several possible matches. Display matches the controller, whatever options are available are provided by those two items. Motor takes power, that is it.

You could get more speed by going to 48V, but would need a new battery. Those motors will not handle a lot of amps, so do not need a hi-amp controller. 36Volt 10Amp would be 360 Watts Max, which it should handle OK. 6-8 amp probably original. Feeding the motor too many amps can damage it, but this should only happen on extended hill climbs, strong headwinds, or heavy loads, otherwise the motor will not demand the extra amps.

Nelson37,

Thank you sooo much!
You can’t believe how many months I’ve been trying to get a simple answer to that question from Bafang, Local Bike Companies, and other online ebike companies.
I was about to give up.
Again, thank you!

Beachbiker

I forgot to mention might be a 9th wire into the motor, usually white, for a temp sensor. Not mandatory but VERY good to have, especially if you are going to supply a bit more amps than original. You would need a controller with a connection for a temp sensor, many do, many do not.

Also, the "Bike Maker", is worthless for parts, the motor maker also. The controllers and displays are made by other companies, there will be a name on your original, likely in chinese, generally available on Amazon. The collection of parts is mix-n-match, you just hit rough volt and amp needs and connect the wires. Lots of variation and accessories, lights, alarm, key switch, sine wave usually better but not huge, it is a smoother variation of how the current flows over the phase wires, KT is a major brand name in controllers, displays are made by yet other companies but usually matched to a particular brand or model of controller as a package, UART is usually just between controller and display, this is a communication protocol.

Some controllers can use a smartphone as a display and may have software to enable some fancy features, some of which may be useful to you.

Possible problem is to look for additional wires other than red and black going from the battery to the controller. Some bikes use extra communication from battery to controller, which can provide extra features, but are also frequently used to make it mandatory that you buy factory parts only, lookup Bionx, also almost anything made in Europe or major brand name. Not likely on your bike, but check first.

Have a Mango ebikes with a Bafang motors BFSWX02,rear hub drive. 36 volt 250 watt.
At a dead end at this point and thinking of changing the controller AND a matching display panel out myself.
Question, will Bafang motors work with all program languages/ protocals, if I change the controller.. i.e. UART, KT, Sine

Thanks Beachbiker
my 36V display can show various of contents:speed\volatage\total mileage\single mileage\gear\pattern......
I can buy it for you if you pay

Attachments

• 1649494390(1).png
    1649494390(1).png
    428.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 1649494428(1).png
    1649494428(1).png
    483.5 KB · Views: 166
I tried three to date and none of them worked. I’m assuming they’re not communicating with the controller.
which is why I’m thinking I need to change the controller and control display.

If you have tried three different displays and they all connected but did not work at all then it is getting likely that the controller itself is blown.

There are usually two pins that can be shorted in the connector for the display that will turn the bike on without the display. Should be the red and black wires but this is not a certainty.

Usually best to purchase the controller and the display together. Look forward to some splicing and soldering, or crimping which is actually better, but need the correct tool.

Thanks. I’m regretting doing it but I have too.
I left out that my wife has the exact same bike and I switched hers to mine and it all worked perfectly. So it’s not the controller.
I have just worn out the buttons on mine.
it’s a simple three button, thumb controlled. But they don’t make anymore.
I purchased a knock off and it works but only works in one speed and no walk assist (which is import for me)
I do thank you for your response and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It is possible to replace those buttons. Very fine work with a soldering iron, but it can and has been done, the switches themselves are generic parts.

Might be, MAYBE, cheaper than getting new controller, plus display, plus new connectors spliced in.

My controller/display package was about $50, 2 years ago.

Thanks again, Nelson37. Take a look at what it looks like.

Attachments

• F666B3D5-6FD2-4104-A1B3-B45862563A5E.jpeg
    F666B3D5-6FD2-4104-A1B3-B45862563A5E.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 2CFC02E4-02DF-4FCD-894F-8BE8DA88CB5D.jpeg
    2CFC02E4-02DF-4FCD-894F-8BE8DA88CB5D.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 143

Thanks Beachbiker
The controllers have to Match the motor wattage and the display will have the me matched to the controller it ok the use a controller with a higher watts rating but the voltage and motor size must match check ebikeling.com

Back