Bafang motor cogs

johnuk37

Local time
4:22 PM
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.
My bafang motor has suddenly started making a grinding noise under load.
I have looked at possible causes and most say the gear cogs could be worn.
They don't look too bad to me but I will replace them anyway.
I have looked all over the internet but can't source these angled cogs which are about 47mn in diameter I enclose a photo.
Could the problem be anything else as the motor seem to be ok when there is little load.
Any help much appreciated.
Thank you.
John.

Attachments

• IMG_20230122_162853.jpg
    IMG_20230122_162853.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 106
What motor?
Those look like BBSHD peek gears.
Check here https://lunacycle.com/parts/
Use that place to see what ya have then do another net search for the component...they can be gotten at other places as well.

Welcome to our humble home by the way :cool:

What motor?
Those look like BBSHD peek gears.
Check here https://lunacycle.com/parts/
Use that place to see what ya have then do another net search for the component...they can be gotten at other places as well.

Welcome to our humble home by the way :cool:
Hi thanks for the welcome.
My e bike is an oxygen s cross MTB mk 2 and the manual says it has a bafang motor but the only writing on the motor is shown in the attached photo so I am not sure what make it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_090704.jpg
    IMG_20230121_090704.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 116
oh i can't find that one on a bafang list.
I'll keep lookin

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.
My bafang motor has suddenly started making a grinding noise under load.
I have looked at possible causes and most say the gear cogs could be worn.
They don't look too bad to me but I will replace them anyway.
I have looked all over the internet but can't source these angled cogs which are about 47mn in diameter I enclose a photo.
Could the problem be anything else as the motor seem to be ok when there is little load.
Any help much appreciated.
Thank you.
John.
As a general rule, Nylon gears are quiet and even when worn, tend to remain quiet. I don’t have any experience with Bafang, but if you can, you might consider moving every mechanism through unpowered and try to isolate the issue. A sound sample might help someone here to identify the culprit. Good luck and welcome to the group.

Grab the motor and see if you can rotate it up and down even a little bit. On my BBSHD equipped fat bike every time I got a bit of a grinding noise it meant the motor was free to rotate a little bit. Since it has been really tightened that hasn't occured for a couple years now. It might not be the source of your issue but it's easy to check

Does the grinding start when the motor starts from a stop, and then settle down and go away when it is up to speed? Does it kind of sound like you have a bag of rocks getting crunched around in there? But the motor still works fine thru all of it?

Bafang has been known to on occasion cheap out on motor magnet attachment (not enough glue) on hubs, although I have seen it mostly on the fat G060 motors. Particularly older 350's. When the glue gives out, the magnets still remain attached, visually, but can work loose just a tad and cause quite a racket on startup. The solution is to re-glue them but its a bit of a pain in the butt to do.

Does the grinding start when the motor starts from a stop, and then settle down and go away when it is up to speed? Does it kind of sound like you have a bag of rocks getting crunched around in there? But the motor still works fine thru all of it?

Bafang has been known to on occasion cheap out on motor magnet attachment (not enough glue) on hubs, although I have seen it mostly on the fat G060 motors. Particularly older 350's. When the glue gives out, the magnets still remain attached, visually, but can work loose just a tad and cause quite a racket on startup. The solution is to re-glue them but its a bit of a pain in the butt to do.
Thanks for your reply I have re greased the cogs and put everything back together and been for a 20 mile ride.
All seem fine and no noise so fingers crossed it just needed more grease.

Thanks for your reply I have re greased the cogs and put everything back together and been for a 20 mile ride.
All seem fine and no noise so fingers crossed it just needed more grease.
For what its worth, on my hub motors, I open them up and re-grease roughly every 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Back