Bafang M 800 display problems

tripledigits

Local time
5:08 AM
I just bought the eMulekick Express and have been having display lockup problems. It freezes on assist level 1 and the mode that it was last in before freezing. The first time this happened, it unfroze on its own after I unplugged the display, removed and reinstalled the battery, and cycled the power switch. It happened a day later and I haven't been able to reset it. The bike came with no manual or other paperwork on the drive system. I have emailed BD and Ebike Essentials (Bafang's customer service??) and am awaiting a reply. Display head is a DP C260 C 1.0. I haven't had any luck yet finding the manual online, which surprises me since the system has been around awhile.

Notwithstanding the above issue, I am happy with the bike. I bought it because I wanted a gravel bike, and decided to try a fairly light ebike. I am impressed with the seamless power assist and quiet operation of the M800. The steering quickness is just right for me. Efficiency of the bike with power off is roughly equivalent to my FS 30 lb. MTB with inverted tread tires. I have no complaints with the brakes or derailleur system. The battery is not 215 Wh as advertised, it's a 200 Wh.

I'll follow up if I come across any information on resetting the display. If I am unsuccessful, I'll most likely return the bike in the 30 day return window. This is my second bike from BD, and I have to give them credit for giving us a good bang for the buck. I also like supporting my LBS, but can't always do that when they don't have what I'm looking for.

Hello, I would like to know if you inspected the Display plugs for missing/broken pins before reinsertion into the display socket? Loose plugs will cause the display issues you describe, but are not the total sum of these problems. Also make sure to check the "motor" end of the harness. Having said that I have stopped doing any business with EBike Essentials as they have zero customer service cred, and their warranty is very restricted and limited with conflicting language. I had a smart charger fail after 3 months, maybe used it 4 times, they said sorry it was 90 days old and NOT their problem. There are alot of vendors out there, and they will take your money and then stick you. Best bet it to contest/dispute the credit card charge and then see how they respond to your complaint.

Hi Kirk, thanks for the reply. I did check the connector pins, did not check the motor end of the harness. I ended up sending the bike back to BD since they had no spare parts. I figured even if this display was repaired or replaced, I'd be out of luck in the future. BTW, I decided to delay an ebike purchase until they've evolved a bit more.

Back