Bafang fit to Raleigh ... look at myPics

Reino14

Local time
8:37 PM
My $500 question .... will Bafang motor fit? see my pics. If you can measure your motor and provide dimension "X" I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!
Reino

Attachments

• Bafang Motor Fit #1.jpg
    Bafang Motor Fit #1.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Bafang Motor Fit #2.jpg
    Bafang Motor Fit #2.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 131
My $500 question .... will Bafang motor fit? see my pics. If you can measure your motor and provide dimension "X" I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!
Reino
There is really no way to know. It looks like the frame was specifically designed for the old motor. The newer Bafang motors have mounting points that bolt to the the frame, your frame doesn't seem to have those mount points.

If I may ask why are you wanting to change motors? Did the one in your bike stop working? Have you tried to find a replacement if that's the case?

It's hard to say if this will work, but it might. I could be wrong, but it looks like the bottom bracket has a wider diameter (35mm) than Bafang calls for (33.5 mm). There are shims available, but I'm not sure about that specific size. You can buy threaded shims if you're bottom bracket isn't threaded. It's hard to tell from the photo. You may also be able to fabricate something with some sheet metal. The other question involves that space for the motor itself. That's trickier, but it might work fine. It looks like you'd have extra space, but the whole thing is kind of unconventional. You'd basically be installing the motor upside-down. In a typical install the motor is in front of the bottom bracket, but that might not be a problem. Hard to say, but it looks like the motor housing would fit inside the cavity in your bike frame. I've attached some dimensions in case you don't already have them.

If you haven't already bought a motor, I suggest you contact these guys: https://www.electrifybike.com/
I have no connection with them other than being a happy customer. I bought my Bafang motor from them and they'll do a free 30 minute phone consultation with you. I found them to be enormously helpful, and they might be able to answer your questions about dimensions. I ran into a couple snags during the build and they were helpful before and after the sale. They sell motor kits and build e-bikes, and they're good people to do business with. They're really knowledgeable. If nothing else, their website is a great resource for all kinds of e-bike info.

Good luck with your build. Let us know how you make out.

Bafang - Choose Motor and Chainwheel.jpg

I'll do some measuring for you tomorrow morning, looks like it will work though not sure about the side covers though might be better to leave it open for better air flow motor cooling anyway.

did it work? Hope you found the answer. There is a guy on Youtuber (Johnnynerdout) who has his own business for ebike kits. he may have an answer. Got my kit from him.

It’s me Jim … the guy with Raleigh who’s installing the 750 watt 48v Bafang in a Raleigh with bad Currie motor. I have the motor kit (Amazon). I’m doing this for a Senior citizen, local, easy riding only.

Should I return this kit for a 500w version? The motor fits in the enclosure … heh good! (Thanks to those who made suggestions.). I would do this for safety, controllability only. The bike was Class 1, 350 watt. I know some tuning could be done … but am I better off starting with the 500w version? I am fairly competent technically, and a Mac user.

Thanks for your comments. Jim

It’s me Jim … the guy with Raleigh who’s installing the 750 watt 48v Bafang in a Raleigh with bad Currie motor. I have the motor kit (Amazon). I’m doing this for a Senior citizen, local, easy riding only.

Should I return this kit for a 500w version? The motor fits in the enclosure … heh good! (Thanks to those who made suggestions.). I would do this for safety, controllability only. The bike was Class 1, 350 watt. I know some tuning could be done … but am I better off starting with the 500w version? I am fairly competent technically, and a Mac user.

Thanks for your comments. Jim
I’d stay with the 750 watt Bafang. I’ve never heard anyone complain about having too much power. I’m an old croc myself and that’s what I’ve got. The extra power really comes in handy on steep hills.

I don’t think this motor will feel particularly aggressive as compared with the 500 watt version. On a low level of pedal assist it’s pretty tame. Just don’t program it for aggressive riding and he’ll be fine.

Back