Bafang Configuration Tool for Android

I used the app on my bbshd and it worked great until I rode it and found the pas had stopped working, my speed censor is ok,I got error code for speed sensor but it works recording the speed, throttle works great with me settings, any ideas ?
Hi, did you find a solutionn for your problem?
It looks like the same happened to me, only I have a BBS02.
Seems like the PAS sensor is defect, the motor is only three days old.

Regards, Shedman

For what its worth, for me, the Speeed app works perfectly across a range of BBSHDs sold over a period of about 5 years and from different resellers, all of whom do their own firmware flavors.

I was put onto the Speeed app from some BBS02 users who populate the Electric Bike Review forum. Maybe go over there and ask some questions as if there are any '02 quirks, someone will know them.

My gut reaction is the issue is one of not being fully up on how to deal with the various settings that interact with one another; bearing in mind nothing is actually documented from Bafang. Also I have had some issues with settings reverting, but it was user error. I had not selected to Write the settings from the individual screen. Paying closer attention fixed the problem.

This is my latest on that overall subject of settings.

Hey does anyone know how to use this app for Cargo bike settings? I have a Nihola trike that I have fitted a BBS02 on. But I imagine the torque and ratios would be very different to the average bike? Any suggestions? Thanks

Exactly....so what is BBSHD???? Remember, I, and others, are new to this and don't know what those acronyms mean....
The Bafang BBS01 is a 500 watt bottom bracket motor system.

The Bafang BBS02 is a 750 watt bottom bracket motor system (the 2nd version after the BBS01).

The Bafang BBSHD is a 1000 watt bottom bracket motor system. It has a slightly different naming protocol. The "H" means High Torque and the "D" means 1000 Watts in this case (from Bafang's production label that is on all of the motors.)

Exactly....so what is BBSHD???? Remember, I, and others, are new to this and don't know what those acronyms mean....
Something else to add to what @HumanPerson spelled out on the BBSHD: The BBS01 was the original motor Bafang put out to market. The BBS02 was a beefed-up version whose beefing-up unfortunately exposed some limitations to the firmware inside, and the motor developed a reputation for blowing controllers under heavy load. An update of the '02's controller with heavier-duty MOSFETs inside *largely* (but not totally) solved that.

Before that beefing-up occurred though, Bafang introduced the BBSHD. I always thought the 'HD' stood for Heavy Duty but apparently not based on the above. But still the idea carries well: The 'HD is a MUCH more beefily built product that is effectively indestructible in its factory-stock format. If you hotrod it, that will change, but you have to go bonkers on overvolting and over-amping the thing with custom stuff to affect its internal reliability. If instead of hotrodding it you de-tune it so it doesn't run away from you, and gives you a cycling rather than a motorcycling experience, you run the motor at a fraction of its capability (versus redlining a BBS02 all the time) and that ensures it pretty much will never let you down.

Hey does anyone know how to use this app for Cargo bike settings? I have a Nihola trike that I have fitted a BBS02 on. But I imagine the torque and ratios would be very different to the average bike? Any suggestions? Thanks
Scroll back up to Post #24 and follow that link. That BBSxx programming guide describes two sets of settings I use for a Bullitt cargo bike. One of them lives where the land is all flat, and the other is for my Bullitt at home where its all hills. You are right that there are issues that should be dealt with on a cargo bike, but they are all the same as they are with any bike, really. The increased weight and inertia of a loaded cargo bike just makes those things all the more important to address.

As soon as I hit 'Post Reply' here I am going to Home Depot to pick up two bags of pea gravel with the hill-climber bike. Thats 100 lbs plus my still-overweight 230 lbs, plus another 100 lbs for the bike, the 35ah battery and misc tools and crap I carry along with the bike every day. So I'm dealing with exactly the sort of issues you are thinking of with your Nihola. One thing I would NOT do is lower the overall current output as your BBS02 needs all the torque it can get its hands on. Most likely you want to use the hill-climber config as it does not reduce the motor's pedal-assist power (much), which the flat-land config does by quite a margin.

Hello,
I'm the author of the "Speeed" application for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mkopa.speeed
It's the equivalent of the popular Windows tool "Bafang Configuration Tool". The application supports configuration files from "Bafang Configuration Tool", it also saves them in this format (*.el).
To work we need the same adapter i.e. USB-Serial + Julet 5-pin female plug.
The application is free. I'm making it for our common good
In the next version (deployment-ready) we'll find support for Bluetooth adapters, and after some time and thorough testing, the application will also be available for iOS.
Please send me information about bugs, new features, etc.
Enjoy
Is there any IPhone or ios app that accomplishes the same thing?

This app does not work on the new android 13 update. Any chance it is going to be supported on the android 13 software?

This app does not work on the new android 13 update. Any chance it is going to be supported on the android 13 software?
What does "not work" mean? It won't start up at all? I am on Android 14 and the Speeed app seems to be fine, although I have not yet connected to a bike with it in awhile.

EDIT:
I went to the app's page and saw this on the top-most review: "Can't save a profile or use the save as. Window does not open for name of file to open or save."

I opened my app and tried a Save As and saw the described behavior. The Save window stayed greyed out too. I did have the ability to load a profile. Sounds like a security enhancement to the operating system - denying write access unless its expressly given. I checked my permission manager and app settings and don't see a way to enable write access.

Maybe that part doesn't work and if its limited to that I'm fine with it. I don't save profiles to my phone ever. But it does bring up a point of concern over long term compatibility.

Back