Bafang BBS03/BBSHD programming

Bafang3800

Local time
6:44 PM
Has anybody had limited programming experience with the new Bafang BBS03

The BBS03 is more commonly referred to as the BBSHD so I've added that to your thread title :)

I wrote up a few articles about it, geared more to what you'd want with a street application (i.e. high cadence, low-torque pedaling). I've recently done some work with urban riding in steep hills that I'm eye'ing for a separate update of some kind. In particular one of the things I've taken better advantage of is the soft starting of the motor under both pedal assist and throttle. Its not brain surgery but not something I should just toss out in a vacuum, as these settings tend to be somewhat interactive.

I recently came across this diagram that is now embedded in the latest version of the Bafang Config Tool. It came out in 2019 so 'latest' may not be quite the applicable term. In any event the graph gives a visual representation of how settings are supposed to work, as interpreted (educated guesswork) by the DIY community.

Ignore the actual settings on this snippet. All I did was open up the tool so I could screenshot the graph.

ScrnShot_05-08-23_10.30_AM.PNG

If you want to get hold of a reasonably easy-to-implement, portable motor interface, google the Speeed app (note the three e's) and put it on your Android phone. You then connect with a Bafang cable and a USB C adapter to your phone and you're in business.

The BBS03 is more commonly referred to as the BBSHD so I've added that to your thread title :)
The BBSHD is a 1000 watt motor. The BBS02 is 750 watts and it behaves differently. For instance you cannot pedal & use the throttle at the same time. I read somewhere that the newer BBSHD have the same quirk. I have both motors and they are not the same.

The BBSHD is a 1000 watt motor. The BBS02 is 750 watts and it behaves differently. For instance you cannot pedal & use the throttle at the same time. I read somewhere that the newer BBSHD have the same quirk. I have both motors and they are not the same.
Yes and what Anton said is correct the BBSO3 is also called BBSHD what does the BBSO2 have to do with anything?

He said BBS03, not BBS02, and he's right the BBSHD is occasionally called the BBS03 in overseas sellers' advertising.

The pedaling+throttle issue is something that was solved years ago. PAS would override throttle if engaged during throttle use.

It was a quirk in motors manufactured during a specific time frame. LunaCycle-sold motors never had it, if I recall correctly. It was the result of an undocumented firmware update at Bafang.

What happened was if you were on throttle (say after starting from a stop at an intersection) and while on throttle you started pedaling, pedal assist settings would override throttle and you could end up defaulting to say PAS3 (or whatever you had it set to at the moment) and also be subject to whatever your Start Current, Slow Startup Mode and Start Degree settings imposed. So for a moment at least your motor power would drop off a cliff.

Pissed off pretty much everyone, but since Bafang caters to a much larger market where throttle is effectively forbidden, they felt it was not an issue they needed to address. At some point it seems they finally listened.

Yes and what Anton said is correct the BBSO3 is also called BBSHD what does the BBSO2 have to do with anything?
Thanks. Sorry about my mistakes about the BBS03. I read BBS02 in my mind having never heard the BBSHD called that. My apologies.

Hello, I have a Bafang BBS-HD 48V 1000W motor. It was working properly, but then it started giving an error code 30h and didn't move. I found out that in this video, a person fixed this problem by installing new firmware, which I also did. However, I suspect that I may have done something wrong or made a mistake because both my motor and battery are 48V.

Then things got strange. I powered on the battery and started the motor, but the screen went black, and I heard an electrical sound from the controller, motor, or battery. It sounded like something had broken or burned. So, I'm thinking I may have damaged my controller.

My question is, is the firmware installed in the controller? If I get a new controller, will that fix the issue? Because I can't even install new firmware anymore as nothing appears on my screen. So, is the firmware stored in the controller and not in the motor?

I followed this guide:

The more & more I hear about mid drive programming it's starting to scare me away from them. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I am not a computer geek and flashing is not something I would try except if it was either that or throw the entire drive unit in the trash. With all the steps it looks as if one missed setting would foul up the process. I would try a new controller. I had my BBSHD quit on me, no display & no power so I opened up the housing, wiggled all the connections and haven't had any problems since. I was almost ready to buy a new controller if this didn't work but it did. I didnt have any burnt smell though. That's all I can tell you anyway. Hope you get it going.

The more & more I hear about mid drive programming it's starting to scare me away from them. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.
To all intents and purposes, this is an almost entirely brainless process. Especially if you are following a guide. Heck I have published two or three of them. The latest being

The super simple process, in order is

1. Go to Google Play and install the Speeed app. Cost is $0. You could also do one of the Penoff apps, both of which I link to above, if you want to go the PC/laptop route.
  2. Buy a simple USB-to-Bafang cable to plug the motor into your phone. You may need a USB-C adapter, too.
  3. Plug the cable in. Read the settings.
  4. Put in the new settings. No need to wonder what to do since you can just follow the blueprint already laid out for you.
  5. Save. Now plug your display back in.
  6. Go ride. Now that you have revised settings, and have read how the settings work, tinker from there.
The only time you end up with a risk from flashing is if you are going DEEP into the firmware and changing the firmware version. Thats another level that only a very few dig into. Doing what I am describing is often called 'programming' but really all you are doing is changing a few settings via a GUI interface. The benefits are astronomical in terms of changing the character of the motor from what can be described as an axe and turning it into a scalpel.

To all intents and purposes, this is an almost entirely brainless process. Especially if you are following a guide. Heck I have published two or three of them. The latest being

1. Go to Google Play and install the Speeed app. Cost is $0. You could also do one of the Penoff apps, both of which I link to above, if you want to go the PC/laptop route.
  2. Buy a simple USB-to-Bafang cable to plug the motor into your phone. You may need a USB-C adapter, too.
  4. Put in the new settings. No need to wonder what to do since you can just follow the blueprint already laid out for you.
  6. Go ride. Now that you have revised settings, and have read how the settings work, tinker from there.
The only time you end up with a risk from flashing is if you are going DEEP into the firmware and changing the firmware version. Thats another level that only a very few dig into. Doing what I am describing is often called 'programming' but really all you are doing is changing a few settings via a GUI interface. The benefits are astronomical in terms of changing the character of the motor from what can be described as an axe and turning it into a scalpel.
Thanks. Did not realize they could be programmed with a cell phone. No it just seem like to me lately I've been hearing, guys have had programming problems. Then hear that they blank boxed it/bricked the controller.

My question is, is the firmware installed in the controller? If I get a new controller, will that fix the issue? Because I can't even install new firmware anymore as nothing appears on my screen. So, is the firmware stored in the controller and not in the motor?
Yes the firmware is installed in the controller. A new controller will essentially give your motor a brain transplant and should fix your problem.
I followed this guide:

This is nothing like the BBSHD 'programming' that you see described all over the internet. This is a major change that replaces your firmware rather than adjusting the one that is already installed - and working. These kinds of replacements also do not come from Bafang. They come from a wholesale vendor who has access to lower-level software that can in turn access settings that your usual settings-interface software cannot. So for example I have a BBSHD I bought from California Ebike that was sold to me as a '52v-compatible' motor. Well, its limited to 28 amps, and its locked to 28 as the max. The max should be 30 with the option to choose lower amps. But Cali Ebike has installed firmware that has a different upper limit.

My advice would be to never screw around with entire firmware replacements unless you have the experience to know exactly what firmware was installed in the first place, and the confidence to know the replacement firmware will also function.

Thanks. Did not realize they could be programmed with a cell phone. No it just seem like to me lately I've been hearing, guys have had programming problems. Then hear that they blank boxed it/bricked the controller.
If you stick to the normal level of tomfoolery that most people use to adjust a BBSxx, then you can't make any permanent mistakes. I am sure that via the normal settings interface there's a way to introduce a setting that bricks a motor. But its just a settings interface, so you can undo what you did. For people who do entire firmware re-flashes, there's no such safety net. I am sure that Golden Motor procedure works if you bought a BBSHD from Golden Motor and it has their underlying default BBSHD firmware. But for anyone else there's no telling what could happen until after you try it.

If you stick to the normal level of tomfoolery that most people use to adjust a BBSxx, then you can't make any permanent mistakes. I am sure that via the normal settings interface there's a way to introduce a setting that bricks a motor. But its just a settings interface, so you can undo what you did. For people who do entire firmware re-flashes, there's no such safety net. I am sure that Golden Motor procedure works if you bought a BBSHD from Golden Motor and it has their underlying default BBSHD firmware. But for anyone else there's no telling what could happen until after you try it.
Yeah I'm a certified auto/diesel technician & flash ecm's for engine power uprates/more power & I have blank boxed a ecm while trying to flash it. But we had fail safes, that if that happened you could reflash the ecm to the older file & you were all good to try again or leave it alone.

Then the ecm had parameters you could set/adjust to get the most out of a personal driver's driving habits. So basically the Bafang is similar other than a fail safe so to speak. Thanks

Yes, but he is talking about flashing his firmware. I too think the Speeed app is great but it is only tweaking the software settings in the controller. Flashing is the process of installing a new version of an operating system or firmware onto a device. In other words a flash or flashing describes updating a chip's code (the BIOS 'basic input/output system') on the controller. That is completely different from what the Speeed app does & since he has already done the flash, he has also possibly done more damage. There are numerous ways to mess up a flash & if you do, your Bafang controller is now a brick and there is no bringing it back to life. Hopefully when he ran the bike after the flash and then smelled something burning, he did not also damage the motor itself. I would recommend he contact Bafang at https://bafang-e.com/en/service/after-sales-support/ & if they are no help, then try a new controller.

Yeah I'm a certified auto/diesel technician & flash ecm's for engine power uprates/more power & I have blank boxed a ecm while trying to flash it. But we had fail safes, that if that happened you could reflash the ecm to the older file & you were all good to try again or leave it alone.

Then the ecm had parameters you could set/adjust to get the most out of a personal driver's driving habits. So basically the Bafang is similar other than a fail safe so to speak. Thanks
I've been on a list waiting for a Luna Black Box ;)
Hopefully that'll happen within the next 50 years :ROFLMAO:

I've been on a list waiting for a Luna Black Box ;)
Hopefully that'll happen within the next 50 years :ROFLMAO:
What is that actually? Is it a high end programming box/computer? Or is it a big nasty speed controller. I'm new to this stuff, & learning what I can. Thanks.

What is that actually? Is it a high end programming box/computer? Or is it a big nasty speed controller. I'm new to this stuff, & learning what I can. Thanks.
It's just a big eggrider in my opinion but it does not have to stay inline...has a bunch of pre-set controlleer setting configurations prolly much similar to what you described on the ecms.

But really nothing we cannot do with a simple cable and laptop or the eggrider display.

Back