Bafang BBS02 secret wires - possibly for lights?

riley

Local time
3:37 PM
When installing my BBS02 kit, I found some secret wires with clear plastic on them, are these for the lights by any chance? It would be nice to run some LED's off the battery for riding at night. Please see attached photo:
BBS02 secret wire.jpg

:whistle: Nothing to see here. Shhh it's supposed to be a secret! But you are correct, those wires in your photo are the cables for the 6V light connectors. To power them uo just hold the "+" on your controller.

Yes, the small spade connectors are for lights. My kit came with a headlight. It comes on automatically because my display has the light sensor. Holding the + can toggle the light on or off as well.

Yep these are light wires - but take note: the polarity is not marked. My kit came with a light, so I connected it all up, but the light did not work. I switched the wires and it works fine. So don't do what I did - that is, don't tie down the wires until you verify that the polarity is correct.

Can I use this connection for other applications other than for a light?
I suppose you could. I believe it supplies 6V, but I don't know what current it can supply. However, when the light is turned on, the main display dims - as it expects that you are riding at night when a dimmed display is appropriate. When the display is dimmed in daylight, it is unusable - for me anyway. I don't know how to defeat the dimming "feature".

Yep these are light wires - but take note: the polarity is not marked. My kit came with a light, so I connected it all up, but the light did not work. I switched the wires and it works fine. So don't do what I did - that is, don't tie down the wires until you verify that the polarity is correct.
Very good advice. I got a BBS02 kit with light and the light cabel was wired with the wrong polarity i.e. the black and red wires were around the wrong way on the connectors. I had to pull out the multimeter to figure this out. In the end I cut the connectors off, stripped and soldered the wires together with the correct polarity and all works fine now (lucky I'm handy enough to do this but I imagine a lot of people would be stuffed!).

Just to take a left turn on this thread, does anyone have any recommendations on which lights to buy that are compatible with the BBS02? Also, do the lights cause you to discharge the battery noticeably quicker! I’ve just got a little 52v, 8 Ah battery.

I’ve got lights on the bike now, but they‘re not terribly bright and I’m tired of recharging them all the time.

Back