Bacchetta Corsa E Bike Bafang 750Watt BBS02

TLCummins

Local time
5:30 PM
I decided to build an ebike, I found a 2010 Corsa than had just a few miles on it. I ordered a Bafang 750Watt BBS02 with a DPC-18 display and a 48 volt Jumbo Whale Shark battery all from EBike-Essentials. I used a California E Bike motor bracket and T Cycle Fully Configurable battery mount with a Bacchetta frame clamp. I had to extend the battery cable,speed censor wire and the throttle wire. I'm using Velocity 650 wheels and Terry 650x28 steel bead tires (don't to have tire trouble at high speed) I bought an adapter form amazon and I installed a FSA 53 chain ring on the Bafang motor.

The battery lasted just a few miles and quit working. I could not find anyone that would ship the battery and I don't think E Bike Essentials would even replace the battery without a warranty. The battery had seven bad cells so I rebuilt the battery using the good cells I built a 13x6 cell battery. I reprogrammed the controller,with 0-9 power settings. Setting one has 8% power (14 amps total) or 11.2 amps,setting 2 has 20%,3- 30%,4-40% all the way to 100%..

I was really unsure about the bike because of all the weight ,motor weighs 9+ pounds and the battery 10+ pounds but other than being a little heavy to load on the bike rack I never noticed the extra weight while riding. In the past I had to stay in the draft when ridding at any speed over 20MPH, but with this set up I ride in the back at a safe distance and really really enjoy the rides. In setting 1 (8%) power I can ride with the group on flat ground 20 to 21 MPH. With the faster group I ride in setting number 2 riding 21MPH and up. If their is a incline I have to raise the power because it a heavy bike and doesn't like to climb without power.

I charge my battery to 80% so when I start a ride the display says I have about 88% of power remaining. I have never had the power setting at 100% I can't spin the crank over about 40MPH. Testing the rebuilt battery I was using about 80%power and averaged 35MPH for 3miles.. In Florida we don't have many hills where I live but the ones we have I can climb at speed over 37 MPH. When the battery quit I was about 20miles from my car and rode back without power no problem just had to ride at speed of 16 or 17.

Rode yesterday 44 miles average speed of 18MPH and with 450 feet of climbing. Top speed of 30 MPH, Rode the 44 miles in level 2 when I returned to the car I had 48% of battery left. I plan on riding tomorrow to run the battery to it shuts off. Didn't charge it up after the 44 mile ride yesterday. I need to know where the shut off point is on the display.

I really didn't know what to expect before I built the bike but at my age (72) I can ride with the fast group keeping a safe distance in the back and not having to keep my heart rate close to max all the time.. If I had it to do over I would not have purchased a battery from E bike Essentials, and I would have change the wheels to disc brake and 26inch that way I could use a big 1.5inch tire for a smoother ride.

Took another ride this morning just too test the battery. Rode a total of 80 miles(today and the day before) with the power setting on #2 After 80 miles the display said I had 10% of battery left. I'm surprised at the rage and power I have with this setup.

I decided to build an ebike, I found a 2010 Corsa than had just a few miles on it. I ordered a Bafang 750Watt BBS02 with a DPC-18 display and a 48 volt Jumbo Whale Shark battery all from EBike-Essentials. I used a California E Bike motor bracket and T Cycle Fully Configurable battery mount with a Bacchetta frame clamp. I had to extend the battery cable,speed censor wire and the throttle wire. I'm using Velocity 650 wheels and Terry 650x28 steel bead tires (don't to have tire trouble at high speed) I bought an adapter form amazon and I installed a FSA 53 chain ring on the Bafang motor. The battery lasted just a few miles and quit working. I could not find anyone that would ship the battery and I don't think E Bike Essentials would even replace the battery without a warranty. The battery had seven bad cells so I rebuilt the battery using the good cells I built a 13x6 cell battery. I reprogrammed the controller,with 0-9 power settings. Setting one has 8% power (14 amps total) or 11.2 amps,setting 2 has 20%,3- 30%,4-40% all the way to 100%.. I was really unsure about the bike because of all the weight ,motor weighs 9+ pounds and the battery 10+ pounds but other than being a little heavy to load on the bike rack I never noticed the extra weight while riding. In the past I had to stay in the draft when ridding at any speed over 20MPH, but with this set up I ride in the back at a safe distance and really really enjoy the rides. In setting 1 (8%) power I can ride with the group on flat ground 20 to 21 MPH. With the faster group I ride in setting number 2 riding 21MPH and up. If their is a incline I have to raise the power because it a heavy bike and doesn't like to climb without power. I charge my battery to 80% so when I start a ride the display says I have about 88% of power remaining. I have never had the power setting at 100% I can't spin the crank over about 40MPH. Testing the rebuilt battery I was using about 80%power and averaged 35MPH for 3miles.. In Florida we don't have many hills where I live but the ones we have I can climb at speed over 37 MPH. When the battery quit I was about 20miles from my car and rode back without power no problem just had to ride at speed of 16 or 17. Rode yesterday 44 miles average speed of 18MPH and with 450 feet of climbing. Top speed of 30 MPH, Rode the 44 miles in level 2 when I returned to the car I had 48% of battery left. I plan on riding tomorrow to run the battery to its shuts off. Didn't charge it up after the 44 mile ride yesterday. I need to know where the shut off point is on the display. I really didn't know what to expect before I built the bike but at my age (72) I can ride with the fast group keeping a safe distance in the back and not having to keep my heart rate close to max all the time.. If I had it to do over I would not have purchased a battery from E bike Essentials, and I would have change the wheels to disc brake and 26inch that way I could use a big 1.5inch tire for a smoother ride.

Took another ride this morning just too test the battery. Rode a total of 80 miles(today and the day before) with the power setting on #2 After 80 miles the display said I had 10% of battery left. I'm surprised at the rage and power I have with this setup.
Well that all sounds good the bike seems to be performing very well for you with the exception of the early battery failure with the bad cells. I am curious why they wouldn't honor a battery warranty if you bought all the products from them? How about some pictures I'm sure the group would be interested in seeing what you've got.

If you read their web page E Bike Essentials it says no return on Batteries. I had reprogrammed the controller and they keep saying I had voided the warranty. I told them I knew that I had voided the warranty on the controller and not the battery. They said they would reprogram the controller if I would send the motor back, which I didn't want to do. I told E Bike I was going to send the battery back and let them check it but I couldn't find anyone who would ship the battery. So I had no choice but to take it apart and find the problem then build another battery with the good cells.

If you read their web page E Bike Essentials it says no return on Batteries. I had reprogrammed the controller and they keep saying I had voided the warranty. I told them I knew that I had voided the warranty on the controller and not the battery. They said they would reprogram the controller if I would send the motor back,which I didn't want to do. I told E Bike I was going to send the battery back and let them check it but I couldn't find anyone who would ship the battery. So I had no choice but to take it apart and find the problem then build another battery with the good cells.
Well that sound like they are into customer service. Reprogramming the motor doesn’t cause battery cells to fail, crappy cells cause that.

Good thing you had the skills to fix it.

To tell the truth I really didnt have a choice I had nearly $700 in the battery and had to make something out of it. I first built a battery using a couple Vruzend kits but the battery was just too big and ugly too use. I disassembled the Vruzend battery finding some of the end caps split. Ordered a cheep spot welder and built a 6x13 down tube battery using the good cells. Just called it a lesson learned.

My Bacchetta Corsa E Bike. First picture is with the Vruzend battery build I just didn't like the big blue look.

Attachments

• 20210919_103730.jpg
    20210919_103730.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 20211120_115232.jpg
    20211120_115232.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 20211120_115252.jpg
    20211120_115252.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 252
  • 20211120_115332.jpg
    20211120_115332.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 20211120_115351.jpg
    20211120_115351.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 20211120_115428.jpg
    20211120_115428.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 231
Hoggdoc I have problems with my thumbs and riding a diamond frame bike really hurt my hands. It took a while to get used to ridding a recumbent but with my hands not hurting it was well worth it. During the covid shut down I couldnt purchase a new Bacchetta so I purchased a used one and rebuilt it. After 5000 miles I purchased the other Corsa and converted it to an Ebike. I wasn't crazy about the 650 wheels but I have learned where to purchase wheels and tires and keep a few sets in reserve. The group I ride with have at least 7 Specialized Ebikes that cost $7000 and a couple Giants and one Scott and a few Trek's. They tested me when I first arrived with Corsa Ebike, but with there bikes topping out at 18 or 28MPH it wasn't much of a race I have more range and a lot more speed. My bike weighs about twice theirs but it didn't cost as much and I can work on mine.

Sounds like you accomplished what you set out to do by building your bike. I’m betting that some of those people that spent 7000+ on their pedal bikes are regretting their purchases about now.

Continue to enjoy your creation and ride safely. Winter is upon us here in the northwest I don’t like the cold and damp so I haven’t been on my bike for weeks now.

Back