AWD ebike question

Mjk1217

Local time
2:27 PM
I have a Detroit Bikes e-sparrow. It’s a single speed , with a 36v 7.8 Ah battery, 250w motor. Not the most powerful machine but I like it. Wondering what anyone might think of adding a front hub to this configuration ? I also considered taking the rear emotor out, putting in a 3 speed hub and putting the front ehub on ? Would that then be an AWD setup ? I have some hills in my area and I don’t mind a DIY project.

What's your budget for the upgrade?
You can have a more powerful motor up front, but also you would need another battery & controller, likely a separate throttle.. .all that can take up room on the handlebar and can get confusing to control.

DYI can be fun, but these days there are far more capable ebikes at low cost.
If budget allows, save yourself time for the troubleshoot and just more time for riding.

What would be the goal of this operation? Speed, range, hill climb?

You have a VERY small battery, and I have a wild guess that on a bike named "Sparrow" there may not be much room to mount another, or a bigger one. You can do it on one battery, but not that one, if you want much range.

What's your budget for the upgrade?
You can have a more powerful motor up front, but also you would need another battery & controller, likely a separate throttle.. .all that can take up room on the handlebar and can get confusing to control.

DYI can be fun, but these days there are far more capable ebikes at low cost.
If budget allows, save yourself time for the troubleshoot and just more time for riding.
I’d probably not spend more than $500 on this bike. I have a few bikes, some that may be a bit more worthy of a conversion. And, I’d be willing (I’d have to be) to do that I just was kicking around ideas and wanted some feedback. Thanks.

What would be the goal of this operation? Speed, range, hill climb?

You have a VERY small battery, and I have a wild guess that on a bike named "Sparrow" there may not be much room to mount another, or a bigger one. You can do it on one battery, but not that one, if you want much range.
Where we live, there’s plenty of dirt roads and hill climbing is just part of the ride. Range and hill climbing would be the objective. Yep, that name. I have checked into getting a bigger battery. It’s a pain because of the differences in the battery base and my controller is embedded in the base as well. A replacement battery, same size, is just a bit more than $200. Seems that might be the best option. I put a rack in the bike so maybe that is where I would mount a battery if possible.

I have a Detroit Bikes e-sparrow. It’s a single speed , with a 36v 7.8 Ah battery, 250w motor. Not the most powerful machine but I like it. Wondering what anyone might think of adding a front hub to this configuration ? I also considered taking the rear emotor out, putting in a 3 speed hub and putting the front ehub on ? Would that then be an AWD setup ? I have some hills in my area and I don’t mind a DIY project.
I’m use two ebikeling motor kits on for the front one for the rear it’s a totally independent setup for each with the batteries tied to run both motors two controllers are independent and the PAS is only on the front
So far it seams to self regulate
But check out the laws for classes of ebike you plan to build

Back