Aventon Soltera 7 battery level increases while riding

asheeshr

Local time
5:26 AM
I recently got my Soltera 7 speed and have ridden about 20 miles (32.19 km) so far. I have been using the level 1-2 assist only when starting from stop, and then I mostly keep it off. My battery dipped to about 98% but then got back to 100% during the rides so far. I'm not sure how the bike battery percent is getting increasing while riding, since I don't see anything on the Aventon website about this. Is this purely a voltage sensor calibration issue? Or is there some mechanism which is leading to the battery getting charged while riding?

I recently got my Soltera 7 speed and have ridden about 20 miles (32.19 km) so far. I have been using the level 1-2 assist only when starting from stop, and then I mostly keep it off. My battery dipped to about 98% but then got back to 100% during the rides so far. I'm not sure how the bike battery percent is getting increasing while riding, since I don't see anything on the Aventon website about this. Is this purely a voltage sensor calibration issue? Or is there some mechanism which is leading to the battery getting charged while riding?
Have you ever cranked a car starter over and over until you hear the click? <click click click click> Then you wait for 30 minutes or so, try it again, and the starter turns over? It's kind of the same thing. Combine that small bounce back with low-end electronic voltage indicators and that's what you are seeing. I charge my battery to 56.8V which shows all the power bars full.
20220519_122512.jpg

Depending on how I ride that top bar will drop off within 1 to 5 miles. If I charge to 58.8V I can get 10 to 25 miles before the top bar drops depending on how aggressively I am riding. Reading the actual voltage is what is important... it's far better than the graphic display for knowing the remaining charge. My bottom voltage is 45.4V or 20% of the pack capacity. 56.8V to 45.4V is around 85% capacity or 1748Wh. All I use the graphic display for is a quick glace reference... around 10 miles per bar and never dip into the red.

The best thing to do is ride the bike... a lot. Don't try and conserve power at all, use it, that's what it's for. You need to know how far you can really go... the minimum and maximum ranges you are going to get out of the bike. Once you find the maximum distance you can ride while using all the assist you want you can start working on techniques to extend that range significantly. You might find that at full assist you can ride further than you ever want... probably not. Read everything about batteries on Batteryuniversity.com to understand how to baby the battery so you can get years' worth of riding out of it.

Ride safe.

It's normal for battery reading or display to fluctuate, especially if temperature changes drastically.
If the performance of the bike is not affected, just keep riding the bike until battery needs to be recharged.

If the bike is not advertised as having a regeneration feature, it's just the battery pack voltage bouncing back up a little when it's under light load. You'll also see a bit of bounce-back after the pack cools.

On my heybike Ranger, I see it even just looking at the battery bar graph while riding. (and it certainly hasn't got any ability to regenerate)

Back