Aventon Sinch

On their website is showing "out of stock", not "discontinued".

Thank you. I see. Obviously Aventon has a couple of different "web sites". The one I was looking at just didn't even show that model.
Anyway, that you for helping me. I was hoping to purchase that particular model in the near future. It looks like a lot of fun.

Any particular reason you've chosen the Aventon Sinch specifically?
Have you test ridden one before?

No, I haven't ridden one YET . Five weeks ago I had my second back surgery which resulted in my back being fused from tailbone up to T2. When I'm a little more healed and been given the doc's release, I plan on trying to find one to test ride. Obviously everything will be dependent upon the test ride. Things that I really like about the bike is : the geometry - high seat and handlebars will allow me to sit up straight. Four inch wide tires and front suspension will give me a "cushier" ride. I would also put a suspension seat post on. The bike appears to be pretty "terrain versatile" and I personally think it looks pretty sharp. I wish it wasn't so heavy and that it had a torque sensor, but I'm not paying $5000 plus just to get these things.
So, it's not a done deal, but I am pretty excited about it. Unfortunately, because of my back I've lost some leg strength and need a little help getting up some of the hills around here. I live in Colorado. One learns to adapt. I'm not ready to just sit on the park bench feeding pigeons quite yet.

Few things universal about these fat tire folding ebikes:
1. They are heavy, well over 50 lb.
2. May be difficult to transport, normal bicycle rack may not secure these heavy ebike for transport.
3. They take up more space when not ridden, even when folded; they could be difficult to move around in the garage.

Depending on your (stature, weight &) cycling goals, if it is just to regain some leg strength post surgery recovery, you may consider a normal 20" ebike that is under 50 lb., since you're going to use a suspension seatpost, the cumbersome fat tire would not provide much benefit, unless your rides consist of snow/mud/sandy terrain that require extra tire contact patch to provide traction.
Operating a fat tire bike on pavement get very noisy, tire noise gets louder the faster you travel.

If mostly ridden on pavement or hardpack trails, consider a Lectric XP 2.0 at $999.
https://lectricebikes.com/collections/ebikes
I've got one myself and bought two more for my employees to use as daily transportation & ditch their cars.
Here in NYC metro, I've seen lots of them used for delivery service.
They seem to operate in all weather conditions, 24/7; if these ebikes are not reliable, they would not be popular among workers that have livelihoods dependent on their ebikes.

oELkVrM.jpg

rqtXgok.jpg

The Z2O, that's also pictured is a short wheelbase 20" ebike, about 47 lb.
the handling maybe a little "twitchy" or "too quick", but at speeds lower than 25 mph, they work just fine.
My 78 y-o, father in-law rides it to his fishing spot in Queen, NY and do minor grocery runs on it.
It's not a powerful ebike, but does provide enough assist to get him around at his pace.

Thank you, "A". I did do a little research on the "Lectric". I believe it is also rather heavy. Seems like most of the ebikes are rather heavy. I am impressed with the NYC popularity of the bike though. Maybe I need to look at it again. I really like the Riese and Muller Tinker, but not the price. I am looking at the compact bikes primarily because they are easier for me to get off and on. Don't really like the "step-through", but I may have to go that route. I have difficulty throwing my leg over the taller bikes. The Z20 is kinda cute, I'll check it out.
Thanks again.
ben

I started commuting in NYC metro with folding bikes (non-ebike) since 2013.
Main reason was to have a bike that I can take on the subway train al all hours;
regular, non-folding bicycles are restricted during rush hour in trains.
Over the years, it turned out that smaller, folding bicycles actually made lots of sense in the Big Apple.
Smaller bike = smaller target when riding among cars, easier to filter between car mirrors to get to the front of red lights while cars are stationary.
Smaller bike are less attractive to thieves, easier to bring it into a building without worry about locking it up properly.
Smaller bikes attract less attention from LEO (Law Enforcement Officer), riding on sidewalk or through park paths at slower pace folks don't get all bent out of shape about it.
Sure smaller bikes may be slower, but I'm not racing around the city trying to get to places as fast as I can.

Step-thru frame maybe less "manly", but it is actually more practical for general cycling if you're getting on & off the bike more frequently to relief your rear end or back muscles.
Lectric XP is actually has good motor output, its motor feels like it has more than 750w output, which is plenty for me (180 lb. + 10 lb. of gear).
The smaller tires (than fat tires) on the Lectric also provide a cushier ride with less weight (than fat tires).
I've put about 700 miles on my Lectric XP 2.0 since last July. I charge the battery when it gets low, I check the spokes once in a while, I lube the chain. No other maintenance has been needed.

Personally, I don't see the need to be spending more than Lectric XP for your first ebike.
If you enjoy riding it, and start to spend more time in the saddle, then get another ebike that's higher performance.
If the cheaper bike can allow you to do everything you need with it, then it's good enough.
Spend the money on taking bike trips to ride to places you've not been before.
Just stay safe within your physical condition.

Almost feel that this thread should go over to the "Lectric" section.
Anyway, I read where the Lectric tends to go through controllers due to "overheating" when riding steep hills. (I have a lot of steep hills where I live)
Are you familiar with this problem ?

And , "hey", I appreciate all the info you are giving me.

ben

If you rely on throttle only for climbing up hills, the controller can only compensate for so much sustained usage at peak power output.

When you combine hill climb with heavy rider/load at wide open throttle (WOT), it won't be a surprise that controller would go kaput; regardless of which ebike you operate.

I rarely ride WOT, even when I do, rarely sustained for over 1 minute.
Most of my riding are pedal-assist (PAS), mode 2 or 3, my purpose for an ebike is not to operate it as an throttle only vehicle, but pedal assist.
I want to have some extra power with every pedal stroke, not just coast & cruise to get everywhere with the throttle.

My thoughts exactly.
In my younger days, I rode my Waterford an average of 150 miles a week. Bad back pushed me into recumbents for several years. Now I need something to "help" me some, but I never planned on getting an electric scooter.

Depending on your mobility & balance post-surgery, recumbent with e-assit can be a great option, too.
Wife & I started riding recumbents back in 2009, they are our go-to bikes for longer distance, long hours in the saddle.

I don't keep track of the water resistant rating of my ebikes, but I have ridden plenty in rain, downpours over distance of 8-10 miles on different ebikes.
IME, as long as you're not submerging your ebike into deep water, or keep your ebike exposed to heavy rain over days with battery connected to the ebike. Likely you'll be okay with riding in the rain, storing the ebike in a place not exposed to the rain, and let it dry before operating again.

Even with the cheap Chinese ebikes, in NYC metro (where I ride mostly) where ebike delivery folks riding in all kind of weather.
I don't think the ebike delivery folks would use them cheap ebikes if they fail at the first exposure to rain.

Well, finally went to the local ebike shop and physically checked out both of the Sinch models. I was very impressed with the quality of this bike. And the fit was perfect for me. Ended up ordering a red step-through model. Should have it in a couple of weeks and as soon as I am able to ride, I will give a full report.
Thanks "A" for your feedback.

ben

Not sure if $1800 price tag is meant for dual batteries or single battery..
75 lb. weight claim is also unclear whether single or dual batteries.

Thank you, "A". I did do a little research on the "Lectric". I believe it is also rather heavy. Seems like most of the ebikes are rather heavy. I am impressed with the NYC popularity of the bike though. Maybe I need to look at it again. I really like the Riese and Muller Tinker, but not the price. I am looking at the compact bikes primarily because they are easier for me to get off and on. Don't really like the "step-through", but I may have to go that route. I have difficulty throwing my leg over the taller bikes. The Z20 is kinda cute, I'll check it out.
Thanks again.
ben
"Heavy" was also one of my main concerns when browsing through foldable e-bikes, I wanted a foldable one for easy transport and storage, I live in an apartment and don't have a garage. I've honestly found CARBO to be a quite viable option and 5 months into my purchase, I am enjoying it very much! It's surprisingly SUPER light, fully made of carbon fiber and at a low price considering the quality it provides.

I purchased the Model X and upgraded the motor to a 350W one, I love how it looks and drives, the company seems to be relatively new on the market but they look to be heading in the right direction.

Back