Brakes Aventon racing ahead of me a bit following brake job

Snoop

Local time
4:54 PM
Just checking on folk‘s thoughts…..

I had my Pace 500 at the LBS last week to work on some rubbing and squeaky brakes.

Since getting it back, I have noticed that the motor seems stronger….almost too strong….and the bike feels like it is trying to race ahead of my pedaling.

When I commute, I usually ride on PAS 4 (out of 5), in 7th gear (out of 8), to achieve approximately 17-18 mph. This gives me a very comfortable cadence.

Since the work was done, I immediately noticed that when I ride in the exact same settings, the motor is overworking me, and I am spinning my feet with zero resistance. I have accommodated by riding in 8th (highest gear), which feels more like 7th gear used to, but even there, I feel like the motor is still ahead of me just a bit (and I can’t get to a higher gear since I am maxed).

Any thoughts on this?

One thought I had is when they adjusted the breaks, and cleaned them, they may have taken away some preexisting resistance which has caused the change I am now feeling. I’m not sure if that would make such a difference however.

A difference in the deraillieur adjustment perhaps?

i have same bike. for what it's worth. PAS 4 in 8th gear at 18mph has always been the comfortable 'fast' speed ever since the bike was new. I commute most. I wish the bike had a 9th gear. (and front shocks).

You might want to take a close look and make sure the derailleur is putting things in the gear you think you are in. I had that happen once where a bike shop I used did an EXCELLENT (no sarcasm) tune up job, then my cadence and all was way off. Come of find out my shifter had been skipping a gear all this time until they dialed it in to shift properly so when I though I was on the 6 ring I was actually always on the 7 ring.

The Aventon Pace has a Speed Limit setting that can be changed on the controller/display unit. Perhaps this got changed while the shop was working on it? Setting it to a higher value would cause the motor to not cut off until you reach a higher speed. There is a youtube video on this setting:

I don't know about your display but you might want to do some Researching on it some of them like the one that I have you can adjust How hard the motor works at each PAS number for instance 1=12% 2=23% 3=40% and so on. But I can change the % to what I want each to do.

I don't know about your display but you might want to do some Researching on it some of them like the one that I have you can adjust How hard the motor works at each PAS number for instance 1=12% 2=23% 3=40% and so on. But I can change the % to what I want each to do.
Aventon controllers don't have that. They are all pretty locked down. Top speed or wheel size are about the only thing you can play with.

Ok so you can go up a tooth or so on your drivering or I've also known people that had their bikes serviced and when the came back they were faster simply because the tires were at higher pressure than what they ran. Otherwise idk hope you get it back the way you like it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
At this point, I’m just working under the assumption that when they worked on the bike and cleaned up the brakes, they likely freed up some preexisting resistance. In any event, all seems well…. just riding in gear 8 instead of gear 7.

Now if it happens again, I’ll be in trouble. The bike doesn’t have a 9th gear. ;)

If your smallest cog on back is 11 teeth, then you are pretty much maxed out already. If not, then you can buy a new cassette with an 11 tooth cog on it. An 11-32 or even an 11-34 or 11-36 if you want to be able to climb stuff more easily as well.

As for the other person suggesting going a few teeth bigger on the front chain ring, that would also work. However it looks like the 500 has a stamped chainring on it and not a removable spider one. That would require replacing the crank arms at a minimum.

Snoop, your first explanation is likely the right one; your brakes may have been dragging just a little bit.
Dan

Back