Aventon Pace now has a v3.0

Some unexpected results.

This thing is great. Little things I didn't expect that aren't so little to me. Makes me feel like a kid. Rode it into town to the pharmacy, and explore a little. For me, when and where I grew up, your bike was everything and we really put on the miles without even thinking about it. I would say that nobody knows all of the little nooks and crannies, back alley ways, grass cut throughs that join parking lots, the smell of the pizza place, the location of all the gotcha patches of gravel on pavement, ......., than a kid who lives on his bike. Today got a little sense of that, but in lazy mode.

Also, anytime I make a short trip like that in one of our vehicles, I get this "ugg" feeling. Like it's kind of a big waste to put a little more wear and tear on the car, then park, then .... I don't know, the whole thing I guess. (maybe wouldn't bother me if we had a small hybrid) On the bike it was way better and no ugg feeling. (this will all change when winter hits)

I'm content now with choosing the 500.2. I think if I paid anymore than I did, I would want something that has some suspension in the front. I don't care about the comfort part at all, but when you've got some speed and hit bumps, gotta be careful not to lose your grip. I think when you're doing all the pedaling yourself you're naturally more tensed up with your grip. But when you're in lazy mode the bumps just seem more jarring and surprising. It was only slightly more than the 350.2, and the step-over frame seems fine so far. Like the articulating stem.

About the max speed using the throttle, I did come up with a little trick that seems to work fairly well for now, until I have a better solution. Instead of putting your thumb in the normal spot on the throttle, if you kind of wedge your thumb between the throttle body and the lever, it's pretty easy to hold a steady in-between throttle position. That probably sounds more uncomfortable than what it really is.

Not sure yet what I think about the seat that came with it. Although it looks like it would be okay in terms of health risk for us dirt bag guys in the family, I'm not sure I'm very impressed with how it actually feels so far. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for something better.

Just noted my Pace 500 v2 now has a v3 option available. Looks like the big changes include the rear integrated lights, which are smaller and more posteriorly located, but now have turn signal blink capability, which is kinda cool.

It also comes now with a torque sensor instead of cadence. Not sure how I feel about that as I don’t do a ton of hills where I live.

The v2 is now on sale, and well worth a look, IMO, if you’re shopping.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Aventon. Just like my bike. :cool:

There is so much more to the the torque sensor than hills. It's a major change to the feel. Instead of the on off feeling that a cadence does it makes it feel like you have additional strength in your legs.
Super smooth power. It's a game changer.

You don’t need to worry Scott charging or too long. It will never overcharge with the stock chargers.

Lithium chargers are constant current, then when the max slowed voltage is reached, it stays there and reduces the charge current gradually, until it gets low enough that the controller considers it fully charged.

I wonder why the Aventon user manual for the Pace 500.2 goes so far out of its way to emphasize to never leave the charger on for more than 12 hours, and only charge 4 to 5 hours normally? It seems like the charging system for these could be greatly improved. I have my laptop setup to automatically stop charging when it reaches 80% and it will maintain 80% if I leave it plugged in. Everyone emphasizes not charging to 100% (and I get it, I'm very good about not doing that on my phone and other Li-ion batteries that I have).

Right now I'm finding it difficult to have a normal charging routine for this thing, because it also depends on how much charge was left when you started charging. If you charge outside of the bike, you can't see the charge level. I haven't charged in the bike yet, but maybe I could turn it on while charging and check the level. I haven't read yet whether or not it's okay to turn the system on while charging.

I'm curious how other people handle this. I don't need another piece of electronics in my life that needs to be carefully babysat. :)

I'm also wondering what people do when they get caught in the unexpected storm. For now, if there is any chance at all, I have my son take some electrical tape to tape up the top part of the seams where the battery meets the frame, and baggies to go over the display and switches. I'm sure this thing can handle some rain, but not sure about a downpour. The first step is, don't go out if the chance is hign.

There is so much more to the the torque sensor than hills. It's a major change to the feel. Instead of the on off feeling that a cadence does it makes it feel like you have additional strength in your legs.
Super smooth power. It's a game changer.
Yes, that made it a difficult decision for me, to save $ getting the cadence sensor vs get what I really wanted. Right now my son has been hitting the throttle a lot (or ghost pedaling a lot) on our new 500.2 with cadense sensor. I can tell by looking at the battery usage per mileage.

I'm now even starting to think we need a second ebike. I'm really bummed that battery for the Pace 500.3 and Pace 500.2 aren't interchangeable. Because I could see getting the 500.3 next time with the torque sensor. If the batteries were interchangeable I'd feel a lot better about doing that.

But at the same time, I'm also thinking that on the next bike I might want some suspension on the front, which the Pace doesn't have.

Thanks very much for the info.. Haven't purchased yet. Really struggling on the choice. Torn between the Pace 350.2 step-through vs Pace 500.2 step-over vs Pace 500.3 step-through. Leaning towards the 350.2 for the price but you do get a lot more with the 500.2 because of the articulating stem and better shifters and of course the more powerful motor. The 500.3 is the best but not knowing how long these things last I hate to throw too much $ at it.

When you mentioned that you had sent Aventon an email, do you mean this is something you had sent them a while back, or just yesterday as a result of my post?

I personally think it's kind of a design flaw for PAS Leve 1 top speed to be more than half of the full top speed. If you watch the review in the link below, at time 12:20, the reviewer mentions she's reaching 15mph in Level 1. If Aventon isn't going to give control over the different levels, then at least spread the levels out more. I'd like to see Level 1 top out at 5 or 6mph, Level 2 at say 9mph, Level 3 at 12mph, Level 4 at 15mph, and Level 5 at 20mph.

I contacted Aventon and they did tell me that with the app I could lower the overall top speed, but can't adjust the top speed of the lower levels. So I think if I do lower the top overall speed it won't reduce the other levels proportionally. So let's say I set the top speed at 10mph just for arguments sake. Then essentially Levels 1 through 5 would all respond the same way. If an existing owner of a 350.2 or 500.2 could confirm that would be very helpful.

In the review in this link, at 15:00, she also mentions there isn't much difference between Levels 3-through-5 in her experience with it because they're all reaching to speed. I feel like that's a waste of levels.

Some of these features would certainly technically be possible it would seem like with just the program change. But now with the xxx.3 out Aventon will probably spend less time worrying about updates for the xxx.2 versions. About having ability to set levels for the throttle that are independent of the PAS levels, I will probably contact them but I'm not at all optimistic they'll be supportive of it. We need a hacker.

Torque sensor will negates the need to adjust top speed settings you want. Cadence is essentially a switch that turns on when the peddle turns and turns off when you stop. When on the motor runs at the set speed pas 1 is set to.
With torque sensor how hard or fast you peddle dictates the speed. I don't know how aventon does their torque sensor software but on my reise and muller bosch motor or my cyc photon there is adjustment that you cam make like how much torque the motor provides in relation to how hard you press the peddle. Then there is adjustment for allowed top speed in each of the modes. No throttle on the bosch but with the photon I have both pas and throttle. I can have separate adjustment between both. I have delay, how quickly motor reacts to input. Ramp up, how quickly the motor gains speed when you mash throttle. Top speed can be different between pas and throttle. And best of all the software smooths out the part between each down stroke.. that part where your right peddle is on top and the left peddle in straight down. At that moment your not applying torque power. So essentially that smooths out the applied power. I hope I explained that right.
I'm anxious to go try the .3. I'm not in the market right now. I love building ebikes from scratch and aventon is wrecking my MOJO. They are building bikes Cheeper than I can build. But I'm spoiled. The current bike is relatively the same as the .2 with exception of my motor and battery. I absolutely love the middrive cyc photon motor. Pared with a 52v 20ah it's a beast!
Super small motor that is whisper silent. I can ride 55 miles with equal pas and throttle and use only 5 volts of reserve.
Aventon is becoming interesting to me.

I wonder why the Aventon user manual for the Pace 500.2 goes so far out of its way to emphasize to never leave the charger on for more than 12 hours, and only charge 4 to 5 hours normally? It seems like the charging system for these could be greatly improved. I have my laptop setup to automatically stop charging when it reaches 80% and it will maintain 80% if I leave it plugged in. Everyone emphasizes not charging to 100% (and I get it, I'm very good about not doing that on my phone and other Li-ion batteries that I have).

Right now I'm finding it difficult to have a normal charging routine for this thing, because it also depends on how much charge was left when you started charging. If you charge outside of the bike, you can't see the charge level. I haven't charged in the bike yet, but maybe I could turn it on while charging and check the level. I haven't read yet whether or not it's okay to turn the system on while charging.

I'm curious how other people handle this. I don't need another piece of electronics in my life that needs to be carefully babysat. :)

I'm also wondering what people do when they get caught in the unexpected storm. For now, if there is any chance at all, I have my son take some electrical tape to tape up the top part of the seams where the battery meets the frame, and baggies to go over the display and switches. I'm sure this thing can handle some rain, but not sure about a downpour. The first step is, don't go out if the chance is hign.

I just plug mine in at least 3-4 hours before bedtime, and I set an alarm reminder on my phone so I don’t forget it’s charging.

I just plug mine in at least 3-4 hours before bedtime, and I set an alarm reminder on my phone so I don’t forget it’s charging.
...or, as M@ recommended in another thread, just plug your charger into a mechanical timer, so you don't have to remember. (cheap way)

...or, as M@ recommended in another thread, just plug your charger into a mechanical timer, so you don't have to remember. (cheap way)
Doh, mechanical timer here I come.

..... I love building ebikes from scratch and aventon is wrecking my MOJO. They are building bikes Cheeper than I can build. But I'm spoiled. The current bike is relatively the same as the .2 with exception of my motor and battery. I absolutely love the middrive cyc photon motor. Pared with a 52v 20ah it's a beast!
Super small motor that is whisper silent. I can ride 55 miles with equal pas and throttle and use only 5 volts of reserve.
Aventon is becoming interesting to me.
I took bits and pieces of your post. So my youngest son had been pleading with me for a couple years about getting the parts to build his own e-bike. (well, he really wanted gas powered as his first choice). I never did, and he eventually gave up. Then all of a sudden, swoop, his older brother is getting a new 500.2. I think he's thinking "what the heck?". So now he's asking again about building a kit, with the idea that it will save a lot of $ compared to buying another Aventon. I've asked him to list out all the things we'll need to get, picking out all of the items specifically, including a decent bicycle because all of our regular bikes are very heavily used and ran down. My goal is to show him that if he builds a decent e-bike that doesn't have the potential of being a throw-away in a couple years, then saving a lot of $ isn't really going to be the end result. The reason would instead need to be more about the experience of building it, and getting the end result that he wants. He's working on the list now. I'm also explaining that there's something to be said about the warranty you get with a new bike. I will say however, I wouldn't mind getting away from these $500 Aventon proprietary batteries.

When you build your own ebikes, are you getting the results you want? And how's the cost? What kind of batteries do you end up buying?

Having a problem where the battery percentage indicated on the display holds at 100% way too long. And later when it starts dropping it drops too rapidly. It's hard to know when you're truly at say 70% for example. Haven't found a remedy. This is on a Pace 500.2. Is that just the way it is on these bikes?

Having a problem where the battery percentage indicated on the display holds at 100% way too long. And later when it starts dropping it drops too rapidly. It's hard to know when you're truly at say 70% for example. Haven't found a remedy. This is on a Pace 500.2. Is that just the way it is on these bikes?

That’s not the issue with my 500.2, @ecrawler. Mine gradually drops in tiny increments.

You might have an issue with a voltage sensor (or something with the CPU?)

I wonder if it is a calibration issue. You know how on your phone, you occasionally need to run the battery all the way down in order for the battery gauge to be accurate? I bet it is the same on the bike controller. Try running the battery all the way down, or as close as you can without stranding yourself, and then see if it still has this behavior next time it's fully charged.

Back