Aventon Pace 500 gen2 step thru frame flex

davemac2

Local time
6:34 AM
I just bought an Aventon Pace 500 gen2 for my wife. I like the bike, but I was out test riding it for a 2nd time last night and noticed a creaking coming from what appeared to be the front end. I suspected maybe the headset stem or maybe the front spokes, but it turned out to be the battery creaking in the lower frame. It did not show up on my first test ride I suspect because I was not pedaling hard. On this ride though, I was on a bike path and pedaling harder. When I reached down and put down pressure on the battery, the creaking stopped. I could also feel the frame flexing and moving around the battery, so it definitely flexes. Has anyone run into this on the new gen 2 Pace bikes? I'm 235lbs or so, and maybe that stresses the frame more than a lighter rider, but this much frame flexing is a little concerning. The battery is definitely seated properly and locked in. I'll try to take it out to have a look to make sure there are no frame cracks or anything and try to reseat the battery to see if it makes a difference, but sounds like it might need a little dry lubricant or something. Has anyone else experienced this?

so just an update on this. I took the battery out and applied a light grease on both ends of the battery and the metal latch that holds the battery in at the top. That seems to have eliminated the creaking. This is not an ideal solution of course if you are intending to take the battery out for charging often. I'm not. I would recommend trying a dry lube first rather than grease.

Step-thru frames are prone to flexing due to the lack of the top bar of the frame triangle. You have not solved the problem, just masked the symptom.

Assuming your wife is somewhat lighter (not always the case), and she is not bombing down rocky mountainsides, likely not something to be really concerned about.

Hi
I bought 2 Aventon Pace 500’s 2nd generation. Both are the step through version. My bike a M/L rides flawlessly. However my wife’s bike a S/M has the creaking noise issue similar to yours. I think it’s by the upper part of the battery where the lock is. I sent a video to Aventon. They told me it sounds like the headset. I pulled the battery out and no more creaking noise. I clicked the battery back in and no creaking noise until you use the bike and start peddling. Then the creaking gets progressively worse. I emailed Aventon to tell them my findings. Hopefully they’ll get back to me soon with a solution.

For some odd reason the battery does not lock/seal tight enough after a few rides and starts to rattle.
I've been in the LBS when some Anenton customers brought their bikes in.
One of them said he used an outdoor type of weather stripping and that tightened things up for him when he locked the battery.

Check for any looseness in the battery and check back here with us if you will mate

Yes maybe the upper part of the battery near the latch. I can understand why Aventon thinks it's the headset because that's also what it sounded like to me initially. Maybe try applying a dry lube to that upper part of the battery, starting first with the metal latch only, and then progressively on more areas of contact between the battery and frame in that area until you can eliminate it?

My wife did ride her bike last weekend for 20 miles and the creaking has not returned after I applied a light grease.

I do not own an Aventon but frequent a LBS that sells and maintins maintains them.

ok just for s**ts and giggles...can you take something and make the battery closuer tighter when you close it to lock it?
I'm not even sure if that makes sense mate but yeah does it?

some 1/8" or 1/4" ppacking foam might work?

Yes maybe the upper part of the battery near the latch. I can understand why Aventon thinks it's the headset because that's also what it sounded like to me initially. Maybe try applying a dry lube to that upper part of the battery, starting first with the metal latch only, and then progressively on more areas of contact between the battery and frame in that area until you can eliminate it?

My wife did ride her bike last weekend for 20 miles and the creaking has not returned after I applied a light grease.
Ok That worked eh mate? Nice! :)

So now get some dielectric grease and grease your battery terminals. While you're there see how tight the battery fits and if it dont wiggle around
when ya have it installed like she's suppostuh be... see if there is any wiggle

Could be the battery mounts eh? Always check them for proper tightness

Yas have any Velcro straps? Try one or two of those just to say we tried. Get'em tight, really near the lock mechanism.

Keep us posted please

1/8"x1/4" weather strips on battery or battery housing eh? Might work to tighten up the battery closeur and possibly help with waterproofing?

The battery fits tight already. You can't detect any movement when it is latched in and the bike is at rest with no one on it. . The problem it seems is the 'frame' around it is flexing when you ride it. You can feel the frame flexing if you put your hand down there while riding. As you suggested, a potential solution is maybe a small piece of compressible weather stripping at a particular spot mounted on the battery itself or the frame cavity. Someone needs to do that experiment. . Me, I'm too lazy.

Well, wow that could be a potential death hazzard if the frame brakes. When you have the battery out can you do some sort of compression tests with your hands/weight? Oh mate i thought it was a loose battery but seems if you can Feel the frame Flexing, well that is a bigger issue mate.

Back