Aventon Level throttle on demand upgrade.

Blind Lemon

Local time
10:03 PM
So I bought this upgrade and it came with no directions, and I can’t find any installs on Youtube. Anybody got some help for me. I have contacted Aventon, but the infamous customer service, has not replied.

thanks in advance

The hardest part is the controller location. It's in the bottom part of the down tube. How handy are you. Be honest to yourself. If you're handy it's not bad to replace. It is a little tedious. If not get it done by bike shop. You need to remove the tie wrap holding the wires together under the bottom bracket and the one holding the wire going to the rear hub. Disconnect wire going to rear hub. Remove battery tray holder on end of down tube. You need to pull the old controller out of downtube. Disconnect all wires. Easy. Color coded and different plugs. Connect the new controller the same way you took apart the old one. You need to fish the long wire through the bottom and route to rear hub. Connect that wire. After making all the connections on controller push back into the down tube. Close it back up. Take your time. Don't shove it in very tight. Reinstall bottom battery tray cap. Replace the display. Very easy. Will not work with old display even though they look exactly alike. Careful on cable connections at display and rear hub. Line up the arrows push together.

I bought two one for my wife’s ebike level step through and one for my level ebike. They were easy to install I downloaded the instructions. Hardest part is my big hands getting down into the bottom of the tube. What a big difference in riding my wife and I both enjoy the throttle on demand. It makes for a much safer bike, taking off from stoplights is now a breeze. I also upgraded my stem on my handlebars are now elevated and moved closer to me and I’m having a lot less stress on my shoulders since I sit up straighter. I also put on a touring seat which feels great on my butt since I just had a spinal fusion done and I took the preload off of the front forks so it makes it a sponge your ride but very comfortable. I feel like I have a new bike I had 700 miles on it before I did these modifications.

Thanks for the replies, Aventon did get back to me and the direction they sent were perfect. Everything was quick and easy, and I love the throttle now and the controller is much more linear and not so abrupt. All is good here.

Has anyone tried the new colored display with the new updated throttle on demand ? does it still work? I would rather have the TOD than the display update but would like to have both. My phone went dead the other day on a long ride.

I bought two one for my wife’s ebike level step through and one for my level ebike. They were easy to install I downloaded the instructions. Hardest part is my big hands getting down into the bottom of the tube. What a big difference in riding my wife and I both enjoy the throttle on demand. It makes for a much safer bike, taking off from stoplights is now a breeze. I also upgraded my stem on my handlebars are now elevated and moved closer to me and I’m having a lot less stress on my shoulders since I sit up straighter. I also put on a touring seat which feels great on my butt since I just had a spinal fusion done and I took the preload off of the front forks so it makes it a sponge your ride but very comfortable. I feel like I have a new bike I had 700 miles on it before I did these modifications.
Hi dhawk, tell me where to download the instructions please

So I bought this upgrade and it came with no directions, and I can’t find any installs on Youtube. Anybody got some help for me. I have contacted Aventon, but the infamous customer service, has not replied.

thanks in advance
Directions are on their website. Take pictures before of the wiring routing so you put the new harness in the right order.

Can someone please explain this upgrade? By chance dies it include a torque sensor like the new level 2 has?
I'm really liking the looks of the level2. Whole bunch of goodness for 2k.
I was putting together my list of parts for a buikd I want to do. With my wish list.
Front suspension
Hydrolic brakes
Powerful motor
Torque sensing
Mid step

To get this in a piece together bike it would be close to if not more than the level 2.
Was looking foward to building my bike but now that the level 2 is out doesn't make much sense.

Can someone please explain this upgrade? By chance dies it include a torque sensor like the new level 2 has?
I was putting together my list of parts for a buikd I want to do. With my wish list.
Front suspension
Hydrolic brakes
Powerful motor
Torque sensing
Mid step

To get this in a piece together bike it would be close to if not more than the level 2.
Was looking foward to building my bike but now that the level 2 is out doesn't make much sense.
I think it would be far better for you to sell your current bike and buy a bike that equipped they way you listed.

Front suspension
Hydrolic brakes
Powerful motor
Torque sensing
Mid step

They are very bad at after market issues. They know zero about bikes. They buy cheap in China mark them up and sell them to the consumers. I had problems finally just gave up on their bad uninformed replys.

This is an OLD thread from 2021. What the original thread starter Blind Lemon was talking about was this:

https://www.aventon.com/blogs/aventon_bikes/two-aventon-ebike-upgrades

On bikes prior to 2021, the throttle doesn't work until the pedals are turning ("Throttle after Pedal"). However in March 2021 newer bikes came with an "upgraded" controller/display unit that provided "Throttle on demand" and slightly less harsh PAS 1 and 2 ramp ups.

The Level 2 which came out a few months ago, has a torque sensor on it. Which is completely different than all their original bikes. And is completely different than the change announced back in 2021. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has bought one, whether the Controller actually allows you to configure the amount of Power being provided by the torque sensor or if it's Fixed, or even Speed-based like all their other controllers.

Yes. I am intrested also. I'm looking hard at the level 2 because of the torque sensor. Unfortunately the reports are dominated with negative reviews of the company after purchase. I'm hoping they have made changes or if the issues were civid/supply related and they got past that.

Front suspension
Hydrolic brakes
Powerful motor
Torque sensing
Mid step

My Pace 500 at a stop at a red light or any stop needed to pedal 1/4 to 1/2 rotation to get it going again. If you're in the highest gear you're screwed if you want to take off quickly. The upgrade gives you throttle from standstill but also smoothes the takeoff from that harsh kick that they are actually using on all the 2nd gen bikes.

Back