Aventon Level Motor

Distance

Local time
4:24 PM
Hello, New to the forum here and thought I would share my recent experience with my Aventon Level. I've had the bike for 2 years and have put 2500 miles on it. I have replaced the spokes due to this being one of the earlier models that suffered frequent broken spokes and have also replaced the brake calipers due to them failing under warranty. Aventon did not respond to in a timely manner so I just replaced them myself at an expense of $200 to upgrade the brake calipers with larger pads to enable me to get back on the road.

My recent troubles are with the motor. Due to my own fault I damaged the wires coming out of the motor hub while changing the rear tire. Completely my fault as the wheel slipped out of my hands and dropped to the concrete severing three of the wires right at the axle. In trying to find a replacement motor I contacted Aventon and they don't have any in stock so I asked them for the make and model of the motor and all they would tell me it was a Shengyi motor.

I contacted Shengyi and they informed me that due to a business competitive protocol agreement they have with Aventon that I would have to seek assistance from them. After a bit of investigation on Shengyi's website I found the only motor they offer that is of the same dimensions as the stock Aventon Motor is a model number DGw22C.

Here is where it get interesting. The DGW22c is a 350/500W rated motor. Aventon advertises the Level as having a 500/750W rated motor. I could not find any DGW22 model that was officially listed on their website as being an actual 500/750W motor. I am currently disassembling the motor the attempt repairs and in doing so I was able to confirm the motor is an actual DGW22 Motor.

So I am curious as to how Aventon can rate this as a 500/750W motor when it's actually a 350/500?

Attachments

• DGW22.jpg
    DGW22.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 212
Could it be that the DGW22 is 500/750, while the DGW22c is 350/500?

Dunno. **shrug**

Hope you get your motor fixed, though…..let us know how it works out!

Perhaps it's a proprietary version of that motor made for Aventon. Or, it could be that Aventon is overstating the ratings of their motors, much like the rest of the industry. All these 750/1000 claims that are now being made don't seem legitimate to me as the bikes sporting them aren't doing any better at hill climbing than 500/750 motors and we all know speed is limited by the class of the bike to a maximum of 20mph so the only thing to be gained is more torque (incredibly important). I suspect the motors in our bikes are much closer to a 350W running and 500W peak than what is actually being stated. But, it moves my fat arse along quite nicely so I don't care if the specifications are a bit fudged.

Hello, New to the forum here and thought I would share my recent experience with my Aventon Level. I've had the bike for 2 years and have put 2500 miles on it. I have replaced the spokes due to this being one of the earlier models that suffered frequent broken spokes and have also replaced the brake calipers due to them failing under warranty. Aventon did not respond to in a timely manner so I just replaced them myself at an expense of $200 to upgrade the brake calipers with larger pads to enable me to get back on the road.

My recent troubles are with the motor. Due to my own fault I damaged the wires coming out of the motor hub while changing the rear tire. Completely my fault as the wheel slipped out of my hands and dropped to the concrete severing three of the wires right at the axle. In trying to find a replacement motor I contacted Aventon and they don't have any in stock so I asked them for the make and model of the motor and all they would tell me it was a Shengyi motor.

I contacted Shengyi and they informed me that due to a business competitive protocol agreement they have with Aventon that I would have to seek assistance from them. After a bit of investigation on Shengyi's website I found the only motor they offer that is of the same dimensions as the stock Aventon Motor is a model number DGw22C.

Here is where it get interesting. The DGW22c is a 350/500W rated motor. Aventon advertises the Level as having a 500/750W rated motor. I could not find any DGW22 model that was officially listed on their website as being an actual 500/750W motor. I am currently disassembling the motor the attempt repairs and in doing so I was able to confirm the motor is an actual DGW22 Motor.

So I am curious as to how Aventon can rate this as a 500/750W motor when it's actually a 350/500?
Most hub motors are vastly underrated because if their ability to run on various voltages and wattages. You can rewire the hub motor. The hardest part is running new wires through the hollow axle. But it is doable with a bit of patience. You can use rim tape attached to the wires to help you thread the bundle through the axle.

Back