Aventon Level 2 Review Thread

Smaug

Local time
4:49 AM
This thread will be to document my experiences and feelings of this eBike for others' possible future reference.

This first post will just be my first impressions.

I bought an Aventon Level 2 Saturday at a local Indian motorcycle shop in Racine, WI. They started carrying eBikes when they couldn't get motorcycles to sell during the pandemic and eBikes have kept them in business.

At the time of purchase, I owned the heybike Ranger (20" fat tire Class 3 folder) and the Lectric XP Lite. (20" BMX tire Class 2 folder) The Ranger, with its full fenders and sturdy rack has gotten most of my commuting duty lately.

The reason for the new eBike was that I wanted something more efficient; something easier to use as a regular bike. That meant no more knobbies and no more fat tires. With the Ranger, I struggled to maintain more than 10 mph on level ground. It's easier with the XP Lite, but that bike eats into the battery heavily on hills, as it just has the one rather tall gear.

1st Ride: Just around the large parking lot in the bike shop. I was amazed at how much power assist is given out in PAS 1.

2nd Ride: The second ride was at nighttime. It was just around the block a couple times in my neighborhood. I found out the headlight is adequate. It's an LED unit with a lens to focus it. It's not a spot pattern, but a wedge pattern.

3rd Ride: The bike included one of those nice folding bicycle multi-tools. The 4 and 5 mm allen keys are needed to adjust things, so I popped that in my pocket along with a conventional multitool. (Gerber MP400) I adjusted the brake levers and mechanical shifter position and rode for 10 miles. My 1st ride impression was borne out; I feel like PAS 1 is a bit strong, as it only takes a medium effort to get to 20 mph. (the factory-set top assisted speed )

The handle bar is a bit low for my taste; I don't like much of a forward lean. By the end of the ride, my palms were getting numb. I'm going to have to figure out which parts to get to raise it up and bring it back a bit. (never had to do this before)

The rear lights are well-integrated. There's a tail light in the rear fender as well as one in each seatstay. The ones in the seatstays are angled out bit, so they give some side visibility when riding in traffic. Note that these would be covered if using panniers, but the rear one is still visible.

The saddle has a flat area and was OK. I'm trying my trusty old Brooks B67 on it now. (sprung leather)

The general impression of the bike is that it is a heavy, higher-end mechanical bicycle. It weighs 61 lbs. My Trek hybrid mechanical bike is maybe about 25 - 30 lbs. However, it was no problem to leave PAS turned off and ride unassisted. (except uphill, which has me reaching for the PAS pretty quickly)

It was pouring almost all day today, so I didn't get to commute on it. More later.

I have an Aventure 1, got it just before they released the Aventure 2 DOH!!

By going into the speed limit in the App you can adjust that PAS a little bit. I've been messing around witrh mine and i believe i have it to where i need it to be as far as the speed it gets up to in PAS 1(8mph) before human power takes over and that seems to work great for me on those days i want to pedal more than others. :)

I do think i will change the 4" tires to 3" tires this summer to see if that gets any better mileage or whatnot..

Here are some pix and a couple items I forgot to mention in Post #1.

Pros:
+ Nice computer and control scheme
+ Fenders are big enough
+ Rear light integration is about perfect (they should blink when braking, though, not just get brighter)
+ High quality hardware throughout

Cons:
- Left side heel clearance is lacking (and I'm only a US size 10 [Euro 42] shoe size)
- PAS 1 is a bit strong for my taste. I would like to see these levels adjustable in the app
- Key switch doesn't shut down the electronics; this could lead to some vandalism at the bike rack, leading to bent spokes, etc.

Pic FilenameWhat it shows
Ranger5.jpgOverall shot. Stock except the saddle
IMG-2837.jpgNot much heel clearance to the kickstand
IMG-2838.jpgKey switch only allows unlocking the battery door; the electronic controls cannot be locked out. It worries me about what vandals might do if I left it locked up somewhere.
IMG-2839.jpgThe assembler stripped the 4 mm allen head for fixing the headlight angle. I got my Dremel cutoff wheel, ground a slot and made it into a flathead.

Attachments

• IMG-2837.jpg
    IMG-2837.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG-2838.JPG
    IMG-2838.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG-2839.jpg
    IMG-2839.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 275
  • Ranger5.jpg
    Ranger5.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 307
I have an Aventure 1, got it just before they released the Aventure 2 DOH!!

By going into the speed limit in the App you can adjust that PAS a little bit. I've been messing around witrh mine and i believe i have it to where i need it to be as far as the speed it gets up to in PAS 1(8mph) before human power takes over and that seems to work great for me on those days i want to pedal more than others. :)

I do think i will change the 4" tires to 3" tires this summer to see if that gets any better mileage or whatnot..
This bike has torque sensing, so I don't think it would work the same for mine as it does for yours, but I'll definitely poke around in the app. Thanks for the tip!

Congrats on your new ebike, Smaug!

I love my Aventon Pace 500. One of the reasons I went with that particular model was the upright geometry. I’m not much for leaning forward either….kind of smarts on the back.

Check to see if you have an adjustable height to your handlebars. That’s a feature some of the Aventon‘s have.

Congrats on your new ebike, Smaug!

I love my Aventon Pace 500. One of the reasons I went with that particular model was the upright geometry. I’m not much for leaning forward either….kind of smarts on the back.

Check to see if you have an adjustable height to your handlebars. That’s a feature some of the Aventon‘s have.
Whoa, if this hadn't been an impulse buy, I think I'd have gone for that model! (and added fenders) That geometry looks perfect. My wife and I were driving home from lunch and a record store visit and we passed that dealer. I said: "Let's stop in here for 5 minutes; I want to have a look." We are newlyweds, so she didn't know to flat-out refuse that idea, hehehe.

Then again, today, I downloaded the app and raised the top speed limit, and I think the forward-leaning posture of mine will be more suitable for going 26 mph.

Re. the back, I find the forward leaning is easier on my back, but harder on my neck, hands and wrists.

I never go over 20 mph anyway.

I must be the only one, but I don't see a benefit of the torque sensor with a hub drive.

Level 1 on this is strong enough that if I put forth a moderate effort, it takes me up past 20 mph easily. I would like the assist based on torque assist to be adjustable in the app.

I must be the only one, but I don't see a benefit of the torque sensor with a hub drive.

When consumers ask for it, companies will comply.

Instead of learning how to operate the gears and pedal with efficiency,
consumers just demand companies to add more features to the bikes so they can jack up the prices.

To me it's sad to see consumers who are willing to spend much more for a mid-drive with torque sensor, etc..
just to avoid the flaw of extra chain stress/wear; when hub drive ebikes are plenty capable and cost much less in comparison.

When consumers ask for it, companies will comply.

Instead of learning how to operate the gears and pedal with efficiency,
consumers just demand companies to add more features to the bikes so they can jack up the prices.
Well, I don't know if the consumers demanded it or if the marketeers pulled a swifty. They know that a lot of eBikers know that mid-drive bikes have torque-sensing. Now, Aventon has started to market that as a great feature, rather than the REAL feature. (improved efficiency, due to using the chain/derailleur system) The paid reviewers are just gushing like crazy over it; I don't think it's that great, because if the rider wants to work harder, his only options are:
A) to either go really fast, so that the speed is maxed out and then he can work harder, or
B) Turn off PAS, which assists too much even at Level 1. I REALLY hope they will allow this to be adjusted in a future version of the Aventon mobile app. (I wouldn't have messed with the app, except that I wanted to remove the 20 mph limit)

I didn't buy this bike because of the torque assist feature; I just liked it overall: Fenders, rack, integrated lighting, efficient tires, high quality hardware...

I actually looked at the next model down, but it didn't include the rack, fenders and integrated lights.

To me it's sad to see consumers who are willing to spend much more for a mid-drive with torque sensor, etc..
just to avoid the flaw of extra chain stress/wear; when hub drive ebikes are plenty capable and cost much less in comparison.
I don't think that came out right; doesn't seem to make sense in this context. The Level.2 has a hub drive, but with a torque sensor.

One thing I like about this bike is that it is SOLD as a Class 2 eBike; stops assisting at 20 mph and throttle only works to 20 mph. But get the app and the bike can be made Class 3. Bike is still marked as Class 2 though, in case of any legal run-ins.

Right now, it's the wild wild west for ebike regulation in the US.
Even with existing law, the general consensus within my cycling area of NYC metro is that ebikes are "okay" to operate like bicycles.
If you run red lights, ride through parks, ride on the sidewalks, likely you can get away with it if you ride it slowly, even with a class 3 ebike.
But LEOs are quickly becoming aware & familiar with these ebike laws; soon it will be another revenue stream for them.

Right now, it's the wild wild west for ebike regulation in the US.
Even with existing law, the general consensus within my cycling area of NYC metro is that ebikes are "okay" to operate like bicycles.
If you run red lights, ride through parks, ride on the sidewalks, likely you can get away with it if you ride it slowly, even with a class 3 ebike.
But LEOs are quickly becoming aware & familiar with these ebike laws; soon it will be another revenue stream for them.
I have to admit I run stop signs and sometimes red lights. Now that I have an eBike, there's really no excuse to any more and I'll have to work on undoing that habit. Probably gives us a bad image.

Where I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, it was pretty much expected to blow lights and stop signs. Now, in Kenosha in SE WI, people roll down their windows just to yell at me for doing it.

The police here are happy for us to ride on sidewalks where there are no bike lanes, because it keeps us off the street. (where we get hit by cars and they have to respond to clean up the mess.)

Here is the response from Aventon when I asked them for a mobile app feature that allows fine tuning of the assist levels:
Hi Jeremy

Thank you for writing in. I will let my App team know about your request.

Thank you
...so if that feature shows up some day, you have me to thank and if not, Aventon, hehehe.

GENERAL RIDING UPDATE: 60 mile update: I've been commuting on this now several days a week, (4.5 mi round trip) and have made a couple of 10+ miles rides. Yesterday, I made an unnecessary trip across town to a butcher to buy a chuck roast to smoke on the grill. Any gas money I saved I spent extra on the meat, hehehe.

Most often, I find myself cruising at 16-18 mph, PAS 1 or 10-13 mph in PAS 0. I'm still on my first full charge. It indicates I'm at 35%, so I've got a few more commutes on it or one more longer ride.

ACCESSORIES: Seat-wise, I ordered a Selle Anatomica X2 saddle to replace the Brooks B67, which is giving me a hot spot right under the prostate area. Since I will have lost the springs I liked so well on the B67, I also ordered a Suntour SP12 NCX suspension seatpost to go with the new saddle. It seems like a nice compromise between the cheap ones available on Amazon and the $270 fancy ones.

I have an old Mirrcycle bar-end mirror I need to get fitted.

I bought a Topeak MTX DXP trunk bag and the adapter plate to fit to my rack. I'm using my backpack as I wait for them both. I hope this doesn't interfere with the shock seatpost, or I'll have a tough decision to make.

The last couple things I need to get (for now) are:
  • Gel padded gloves
  • A horn or bell
  • Phone holder

Hello, ebikes forum members. I got my Aventon Level.2 a week ago Saturday after a lot of consideration between it and the Rad Power Bikes Rad City 5. Test drove both and liked the Level's ability to go 28 mph when unlocked from the app. And the overall better look and cable management. The Rad City 5 had a better upright seating position so was more comfortable for me. I use the bike to ride to work (about 2 miles each way and I also go home for lunch each day so about 8 miles total) and go on some pleasure rides. I noticed on Sunday when doing a long ride that when under motor power, both pedaling and using throttle, the regular motor noise started to be joined by another, concerning tone that sounds like a metallic scraping. The noise never shows up when I'm on PAS 0 or just coasting so I know it is in the motor. I've done some online research and don't see anything that matches this noise. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they did a test ride and said it is normal for this bike and nothing to worry about. How about you all? I want to love this bike but this noise has me losing confidence in the long term durability of my $2000 investment.

60 mile Update:

I'm now 45 miles or more into the current charge and the display shows 30% charge left.

My commute to work is about 2.1 miles one way. Inbound, it is slightly downhill on average, so I've been turning off PAS for most of the inbound commute, and only using PAS 1 for the uphill legs and for headwinds.

Going home, I start in PAS 0, then go to PAS 1 when the hills or wind slow me to < 10 mph.

With no wind, on level ground and with 50 psi in the tires, I find 13-16 mph quite doable with no assist, since it rolls so much more efficiently than my previous 4" 20 psi fat knobby tire bike. On that bike, I only could manage about 11 mph unassisted.

The reason I home in so much on this is that it effectively extends the range of this bike, despite the fact that its battery isn't that big. (48 V, 14 Ah, 672 Wh) ...and if I DO run it down completely, it's realistic to keep pedaling home, even with a headwind or the odd hill.

I've removed the Brooks B67 and mounted a Bontrager Commuter Fluid saddle. I bought it on a whim at the LBS that's going out of business at 50% off. It has the perineal cutout that I like, but it's hard as rock. It has spandex fabric on it where the sit bones hit, so they can slide a bit without chafing. This seat might be good, but it needs a shock seatpost on this bike.

I also mounted a phone holder and bar-end mirror and tried to mount the Topeak adapter plate. Alas, I didn't pay close enough attention to the specs on the plate, which will only fit racks up to 4.75" wide. The rack on this bike is 5" wide. I didn't want to drill and butcher it, so I just ordered a Topeak rack, which should be here next week. I will look into returning the rack, but will probably just end up reselling it as Like New.

Meanwhile, the Selle Anatomica seat and Suntour shock seatpost both arrived. I wanted to give the Bontrager saddle a fair shake before I went all fancy again.

Look for another update with the new seat & post mounted, then a 100 mile check-in.

Great bike so far. It was more than I could have imagined spending when I first got into eBikes, but now with some experience, it was worth the money. I'm still toying with the idea of selling my Trek Verve 3 mechanical bike.

Finished my first whole charge yesterday; I got 57 miles with 3% indicated as being left on the battery pack.

It wasn't hyper-miling, but what I call "reasonably efficient eBike riding":
  • If I could pedal to go at least 13 mph without power, I did. So no electric downhill or on flat ground with no wind
  • I engaged PAS 1 if wind or hills got me going slower than 10 mph.
  • I rarely went past PAS 2, but occasionally
  • I engaged PAS to go faster when I had to share the lane with cars
I charged it last night and I think this charge, I'm going to leave it on PAS1 most of the time and see how far I get. Probably be going close to 20 mph then.

I did a first impressions video yesterday. (75 miles in)

Since then, I made my first commute on the fancy Selle Anatomica X2 saddle. I'm much more impressed with the Suntour shock seatpost than the saddle, so far. I'll give it some miles to break in, but my first impression is that my sit bones tend to end up right on the back, where it's rock hard.

I might end up keeping the seatpost and going back to the Bontrager saddle.

I'm waiting to get the bottom bracket with the torque sensor thingy and the controller to go with it from the aventon website.
(for them to list it on their site)

That way i could be able to switch between the both relatively easy like...?...

Good Vid man! :cool:

I finally got the Topeak rack and mounted it. Now I can use my fancy MTX trunk with fold-out mini panniers.

In hindsight, I probably didn’t need the “disc brakes” version; there’s plenty of room.

It’s the Explorer rack for 26 and 27.5” rear wheels. Seems like they were pretty generous in the radial clearance too. (This bike has 27.5” wheels and 2.2”, I think)

8ADCF806-D6BA-4CE4-AE77-E8E1D7D362E8.jpeg

66A65EFB-E82E-455C-A31D-FF8E242CEFEA.jpeg

Back