Aventon experiences?

Smaug

Local time
6:49 AM
When I was researching what kind of e-bike to get, I almost got an Aventon. They are heavily advertised on facebook and now Google Chrome remembers that I'm into e-bikes and Aventon ads show up everywhere.

In response to one facebook ad, someone commented that they had a problem and their Customer Service was totally unhelpful.

I do see them mentioned here from time to time, and am wondering what you all's experience has been.

Are the bikes themselves good?

Just saw your post. I LOVE my Aventon Aventure. I’ve heard customer service can be awful as it is ALL done by email….. That is why I bought mine at a local bike shop. When it was new I could call them and get a human with answers. Was SO NICE to have the resource. (I only called once but got the answer right away.) I LOVE MY AVENTURE. In 6 weeks I’ve put 185 miles on it. MY EBIKE SHOP also offered me a FREE TUBE UP after 100 miles and before 250. So gonna take her in soon for FREE professional service! BUY LOCALLY IF YOU CAN.

Forgot to mention - mine was also assembled by the local bike shop. No home assembly. The bike is great. Makes me feel steady and safe. The gears ‘tick’ a little esp in 5th gear so she definitely needs so adjusting. She’s rugged, does great on city streets, walk paths AND gravel paths. I truly enjoy every mile (and I hadn’t ridden a bike in 25 years). It all comes right back again. Love my red aventure. (Added mirror, some more ergonomic grips, a back rack and bag, and am ordering a suspension seat post.) Hope you decide to get an ebike. Good, solid, quality bike Aventon imo.

Just saw your post. I LOVE my Aventon Aventure. I’ve heard customer service can be awful as it is ALL done by email….. That is why I bought mine at a local bike shop. When it was new I could call them and get a human with answers. Was SO NICE to have the resource. (I only called once but got the answer right away.) I LOVE MY AVENTURE. In 6 weeks I’ve put 185 miles on it. MY EBIKE SHOP also offered me a FREE TUBE UP after 100 miles and before 250. So gonna take her in soon for FREE professional service! BUY LOCALLY IF YOU CAN.
I'm curious how much over online price did you pay for the local bike experience? From my limited experience the problem with service of most e bikes is lack of parts. This goes for local bike shops as well.

That is a very good question. Before tax I paid $2199 for Sm/m Aventure step thru. FOR ME perfectly okay with the extra $200 for assembly/support. (PLUS CITY OF DENVER offered $400-1,200 rebate - I got $400) under a reduce environmental impact rebate. So that helped make my decision EASY to use LBS.

That is a very good question. Before tax I paid $2199 for Sm/m Aventure step thru. FOR ME perfectly okay with the extra $200 for assembly/support. (PLUS CITY OF DENVER offered $400-1,200 rebate - I got $400) under a reduce environmental impact rebate. So that helped make my decision EASY to use LBS.
Makes you feel like a kid again doesn't it? I find myself smiling all the time while riding.

Well according to Aventon's web site your bike is currently selling for $1749.00 USD, think it might be on sale from $1999. So depending what sales they may have had at the time you bought yours the difference would have been $200 or $450. At $200 I agree with you might be worth having the LBS in your camp but $450 that's another story.

I'm curious how much over online price did you pay for the local bike experience? From my limited experience the problem with service of most e bikes is lack of parts. This goes for local bike shops as well.
Well according to Aventon's web site your bike is currently selling for $1749.00 USD, think it might be on sale from $1999. So depending what sales they may have had at the time you bought yours the difference would have been $200 or $450. At $200 I agree with you might be worth having the LBS in your camp but $450 that's another story.
I agree. You’re on it. It was $1999 when I bought so the $200 extra was a good deal for me. Didnt want to put it together myself. Apt with no room to work. Thx.

Just saw this post. I purchased my Aventon Pace 500 Next Gen Step Through from a local bike shop here in Ohio. With the bike shop discount I recived the bike for $1530. They had it assembled, gave me addtional discounts for a Topeak Explorer Rack and EX Trunk Bag plus a Cloud 9 Cruiser seat. Total was around $1620.
Going local helped the bike shop, they have answered my questions, let me take it for a 15 mile test ride before I bought the bike and they already had it asembled and set up.

I have ridden around 100 miles on it and love it but got in a bit of trouble. Had not been on a bike for near 30 years and felt like superman on my 3rd ride. Went up a bike path for 15 miles (Pedal assist 2) and my tail bone started hurting but had to return the 15 miles to my truck! Yes, the throttle came in handy on thre return but I am just getting my tail bone back to the "Comfort" stage... We learn.!!

I am an Engineer and look closely over the bike, frame weilding, construction, etc. and was impressed with the PACE 500. I do wish for the front fork shocks that the Level has but the PACE 500 NG has a better battery configuration and Hydraulic Disc Brakes. With me weighing in at 300 lbs all are a factor. Big PLUS... they had one to sell me. Nothing beats a good local Bike shop!

I have the Aventon Pace 500 Next Gen, and couldn’t be happier with it so far.

My setup includes:
”Sand” color, size Large
Top crossbar
Aventon add-on rear cargo rack (needed as I commute to work)
Aventon add-on fenders (so my work clothes don’t get muddy)
Both right/left mirrors
Basil MIK adapter plate for the rack. Makes switching components a breeze
Nifty little bell so I can irritate walkers :)

Car rack:
Yakima OnRamp. My Aventon fits this rack like a charm. Pluses include bottom wheel straps (good for bikes with fenders), and a great loading ramp, so I can walk the bike up instead of lifting it.

Things I like about my bike:

-Plenty of power. I’m a solid guy (not a featherweight) and it’s gets me up pretty steep hills without grief
-Seems very well built
-Battery integrated into frame and detatches with key
-Bright integrated tail lights (although I also use a blinker on the back of my helmet, and have an additional HotShot Pro 200 on its way from Amazon to attach to my rear rack). Safety first!
-Integrated headlight
-Fairly light compared to many other ebikes (52 lbs)
-Wheels feel just the right width for me, where they handle pavement GREAT, and light off roading as well (I’ve done some fine crushed stone gravel, packed dirt, and park grass). I have no intent to do serious mountain biking, so these wheels check my boxes for commuting and light recreational usage.
-Upright geometry. Good for my back.
-Class 3 pedal assist/throttle options
-Battery range. It’s advertised to average 40 miles. While I haven’t fully emptied the battery yet, I ride probably 95% flat, 5% hill, usually between pedal assist 3 and 4 (5 is max), and I feel like I can get more than that.
-Price. While all ebikes are expensive, I got mine for about $2,000, which seemed like a decent entry level point for a guy like me brand new to ebiking. Knowing now how much I like it, when this one retires, I would likely be willing to spend more if needed ( but hopefully market prices will fall by then)

Things I don’t like:

-Warranty. They give you a one year warranty. I honestly don't know what the business standard is for ebikes, but this feels low for something which costs a couple grand. Especially with bikes usually being seasonal, they are essentially warranting 8-9 months of usage
-Lack of mounting bolts for water bottle. A little thing, but it seems like they could have had them somewhere, despite the battery
-No shocks. A bit rough on the arse when the road is bumpy.

Regarding customer service:
The one time I emailed them with a concern about a noise, their “team” responded within 24 hours. No complaints there. They also quickly followed up on my shipping questions. My only gripe is that I never like when phone is not an option at all. I know it’s 2022, but sometimes it’s nice being able to speak to a human.

Just bought my wife an Aventon Level for her birthday from one of Erik's bike/board stores. She needed a small frame so we had to wait 5 days for them to get one from their warehouse. The bike came in on time. We picked it up and test road in in the parking lot. Everything seemed good. Brought it home for a test ride. First thing we noticed was that the motor made a clunking sound when going up hill in PAS of 2 or higher. Got the bike back to the house and tried to charge the battery using the port on the bike. The battery would not charge. Took the battery out of the bike and it would charge using the battery charge port. Took the bike back to Erik's where the technician said he would look it over and call me the next day. Turns out the charge port on the bike was faulty and he could not reproduce the sound from the motor (no hill near the store). He said it would be at least a week before they could get parts. I wrote an email to the store manager telling him of what had transpired. He got back to me within a day and let me know that they were getting a new bike shipped and it would be at the store and ready in 3 days. Sure enough I got an email 3 days later letting me know the bike was in and ready to be picked up. I picked up the bike that day and took if for a pretty good test ride when I got home. This bike works as advertised. Excellent customer service and response from Erik's. Price of the bike was the same as online. Shop your LBS whenever possible.

Just bought my wife an Aventon Level for her birthday from one of Erik's bike/board stores. She needed a small frame so we had to wait 5 days for them to get one from their warehouse. The bike came in on time. We picked it up and test road in in the parking lot. Everything seemed good. Brought it home for a test ride. First thing we noticed was that the motor made a clunking sound when going up hill in PAS of 2 or higher. Got the bike back to the house and tried to charge the battery using the port on the bike. The battery would not charge. Took the battery out of the bike and it would charge using the battery charge port. Took the bike back to Erik's where the technician said he would look it over and call me the next day. Turns out the charge port on the bike was faulty and he could not reproduce the sound from the motor (no hill near the store). He said it would be at least a week before they could get parts. I wrote an email to the store manager telling him of what had transpired. He got back to me within a day and let me know that they were getting a new bike shipped and it would be at the store and ready in 3 days. Sure enough I got an email 3 days later letting me know the bike was in and ready to be picked up. I picked up the bike that day and took if for a pretty good test ride when I got home. This bike works as advertised. Excellent customer service and response from Erik's. Price of the bike was the same as online. Shop your LBS whenever possible.

Great advice!
Glad it worked out for you.

It’s now mid Aug and I have had the Next Gen Pace 500, step through, for about 45 days and put 550 miles on it (would have been more but work sent me out of town). My riding is mostly on Bike Paths. the Dayton area has a LARGE number of paths around the rivers and old train paths. Very easy to plan and ride a 10–50-mile route. Some areas have minimal road crossings and others (more urban) have some dangerous crossings. My thoughts on the Next Gen PACE 500:

- I do wish for the front suspension. Bike paths here in Dayton are very good but some areas it gets rough, and the suspension would help.
- Not getting the range I thought I would. I stay in PA 2 most of the times but tend to kick it up some when returning to my starting point. Been averaging around 30 miles on a charge with this assist level. Throttle used only when coming from a stop.
- I have dialed in my Cloud 9 seat (Thanks to the forums) and raised the nose of the seat up some from level to adjust how my body is on the seat.
- Brakes are a bit noisy, but it helps when having to slow down to pass a walker on the path.
- Display came from the bike shop with some fine scratches (Remember I bought it with 15 miles on it. It was a return to the bike shop). Since I got a great deal and if I want to replace the display its $100, Not a big deal. (Bike, Bike rack, Bag for rack, Cloud 9 seat all for $1620)

- Display can NOT be read when wearing polarizing sunglasses or in bright light. Not a deal breaker.

- Aventon App for the phone has had issues tracking a ride from start to completion. I switched to using the “Map My Ride” app. This lets me layout a route and track it. It also gives voice cues every mile on my ear bud.

- I need to get wider pedals. I am a big guy (300 Lbs.) and I do have my feet slip of the pedals now and then.

- I added a mirror on the left side and also a mount for my cell phone. I added a “Safety” attachment for my Topeak trunk Bag as the seat comes close to the release button.

Things I would like to see changed:

Would like to have the front suspension

Would like a different gear ratio. I tend to remain in 8th gear and find at pedal assist 2 and 3 to be spinning fast to maintain around 15-18 mph. Another gearing would be great.

Would like the key to be able to have an “Off” selection. To turn the bike off but leave the battery locked in the frame.

Would like at least one set of water bottle mounts. I place water in the bag on the back but that means a stop for a drink.

A little more protection of the wires on the bottom of the frame near the crank. I have NOT caught them on anything but the do seem to run a bit away from the frame and look like they could be easy to catch.

Take Care All…

It’s now mid Aug and I have had the Next Gen Pace 500, step through, for about 45 days and put 550 miles on it (would have been more but work sent me out of town). My riding is mostly on Bike Paths. the Dayton area has a LARGE number of paths around the rivers and old train paths. Very easy to plan and ride a 10–50-mile route. Some areas have minimal road crossings and others (more urban) have some dangerous crossings. My thoughts on the Next Gen PACE 500:

- I do wish for the front suspension. Bike paths here in Dayton are very good but some areas it gets rough, and the suspension would help.
- Not getting the range I thought I would. I stay in PA 2 most of the times but tend to kick it up some when returning to my starting point. Been averaging around 30 miles on a charge with this assist level. Throttle used only when coming from a stop.
- I have dialed in my Cloud 9 seat (Thanks to the forums) and raised the nose of the seat up some from level to adjust how my body is on the seat.
- Brakes are a bit noisy, but it helps when having to slow down to pass a walker on the path.
- Display came from the bike shop with some fine scratches (Remember I bought it with 15 miles on it. It was a return to the bike shop). Since I got a great deal and if I want to replace the display its $100, Not a big deal. (Bike, Bike rack, Bag for rack, Cloud 9 seat all for $1620)

- Display can NOT be read when wearing polarizing sunglasses or in bright light. Not a deal breaker.

- Aventon App for the phone has had issues tracking a ride from start to completion. I switched to using the “Map My Ride” app. This lets me layout a route and track it. It also gives voice cues every mile on my ear bud.

- I need to get wider pedals. I am a big guy (300 Lbs.) and I do have my feet slip of the pedals now and then.

- I added a mirror on the left side and also a mount for my cell phone. I added a “Safety” attachment for my Topeak trunk Bag as the seat comes close to the release button.

Things I would like to see changed:

Would like to have the front suspension

Would like a different gear ratio. I tend to remain in 8th gear and find at pedal assist 2 and 3 to be spinning fast to maintain around 15-18 mph. Another gearing would be great.

Would like the key to be able to have an “Off” selection. To turn the bike off but leave the battery locked in the frame.

Would like at least one set of water bottle mounts. I place water in the bag on the back but that means a stop for a drink.

A little more protection of the wires on the bottom of the frame near the crank. I have NOT caught them on anything but the do seem to run a bit away from the frame and look like they could be easy to catch.

Take Care All…

Great review…..I agree with most of that (I’ve been getting better range, though, but I‘m not carrying the extra muscle weight you are. ;))

Regarding the display, I like to ride with the integrated lights on all the time, and that dims the monitor even more. It is still plenty bright for me, but definitely harder to read with sunglasses on.

Well, I'm new here and new to electric bikes. Did a ton of research before buying and finally went with the Aventon Level for several reasons. They have a local "dealer" that sells more golf carts than bikes but does have a bike mechanic on board and can, supposedly, get parts. Second reason was that I was able to buy the bike through Best Buy. They don't stock them, they obviously have some kind of on demand deal with Aventon but the purchase and delivery process was flawless, bike was on sale for $1649 and BB honored a $75 coupon I got in the mail that clearly said good only at Aventon.com. Final reason is that one of our neighbors in the active adult community we live in is a retired bike shop owner so stays busy doing side work on bikes. He has gotten into e-bikes and other than rebuilding a hub motor, can do just about anything.

His opinion is that the Aventon is built to a price, just about like most direct to consumer products. He said that they are undergoing the same issues as even the high end bikes and that is consistent availability of brand name parts which is why bikes are coming through with different equipment that was was specified on their website. He likes the brand overall, and although I put mine together, took it to him for a once over and he found nothing out of alignment, not tightened properly, etc.. Oh, and if you use your Costco Credit card to buy it, Citibank doubles the warranty to two years automatically, just keep all your documents.

As to my thoughts on the bike, I've been an semi-active rider for 50 years and my last "real" bike was a Trek FX 7.4 which I thoroughly enjoyed. The e-bike takes some getting used to and some necessary upgrades. I've added lights (really disappointed the Level did not include them - all e-bikes should), 110MM handlebar riser at 60 degrees, ergonomic grips with the flat/tapered ends, panniers, mirror, horn. I'm 6'2", 220lbs, 74 years old and with a brand new knee so I'm actually pedaling the bike on 0 PAS as much as possible, never going above level 1 and using the throttle sparingly (usually to not let the 20 year old spandex clad riders on their carbon fiber bikes get by me ;) ). It's a heavy SOB, have to remember to lock it up well each time I park it some where. Considered buying a spare battery for when the original wears out in a few years but decided that by then, technology will probably have changed dramatically and I'll be buying something new anyway. Tucson is a biking capital with 265 miles of dedicated bike paths and more than 1,000 miles of restricted bike lanes on the highways so this really lets me extend my travels to see more (we live 5 minutes from an entrance to the path).

And in the FWIW it's worth category, Aventon CS had no clue that a consumer could buy their bikes through Best Buy and as a matter of fact, told me I was wrong and that I would not be receiving the item ordered. They were actually out of the size Large in the Level line and would not be restocking since the Leve2 was being released and said there were none anywhere in inventory but somehow BB sent me a new, in the box, size large. BTW, sizing was one of the reasons I went with this bike, don't believe in the one size fits all philosophy of almost all manufacturers. Also consider the Pedego for twice the price but hated the battery on the rear rack setup and lake of frame sizing.

2D30965E-EB01-4A7D-BD33-93CA9719D930.jpeg
I received, built and test rode my level.2 today. It’s my first e-bike, but I tested quite a few, including the original Level and quite a few mid drives.

The only snag I ran into was the front rotor needed to be trued up. A couple YouTube videos letter the slight intermittent brake drag is now gone. The rest of the build was a breeze.

Went about 15 miles today, just getting to know it. The torque sensor is awesome. Just feels like I had Lance Armstrong legs. Unlike almost all of the throttle bikes I tested, this throttle is a smooth as the power comes on, making it a great way to get across an intersection quickly. Brakes are smooth and sure. I kept the bike mostly at power level 1, and that was plenty to maintain mid teen speeds or more, and still get some exercise. I kicked it up to 3 once to climb a hill, and was able to maintain speed easily. Gears shift easily and quietly.

Overall, I’m VERY pleased with the experience so far. I think the level.2 is a major step forward, riding like a MUCH more expensive mid drive bike. It is without question the best riding hub drive bike I have ridden.

More as I wring it’s out more. Tomorrow should be a much longer ride, with more challenging terrain. Will be interesting to see how the battery holds up to my size on a longer ride (read that 230lb dude that needs some good exercise).

JC

My wife are I are avid cyclists. We have our high-end carbon fiber framed road and mountain bikes with their obligatory high-end components. Almost a year ago, my wife underwent surgery to correct a fairly lingering sciatica pain. Since then, she's been eager to get back in the saddle. But I warned her that our cycling disciplines won't be kind to her 100% recovery that will take beyond a year. So it was decided to get her on an ebike. My criteria was simple . . . decent quality, light weight (for an ebike), looks like a bicycle, and finally a low price (again, for an ebike). The Soltera 7 checked all my boxes. Its price point was much, much less than each of our non-ebikes in our current stable! Luckily, we have a local dealer nearby and after a demo ride, we were sold. So much so that I decided to get one for myself . . . especially dedicated to hauling around around a pet trailer. I've since upgraded some components. My bike received a low rise bar (also, removed all stem stack spacers), a lighter saddle, low profile pedals, Continental urban slick tires, floating brake rotors, and soon to be installed Zoom HB-100 cable operated hydraulic brake calipers. My wife's bike received the low profile pedals, and a 14-34 freewheel to further assist her climbing up our hill to our house. It'll be a while before she can get out of the saddle and power pedal, pounding the cranks. I can't say enough how we're so pleased with our ebike choice from AVENTON!
soltera7.1.jpg
Ebike1.jpg

I love what you’ve done with your Soltera. I’ve mentioned elsewhere that if they offered a drop-bar version of their bikes it would pique my interest.

Question: When I lowered the bars on my Aventure, I moved the spacers that were below the stem and placed them above it.

52380374272_a5f7c04beb_z.jpg

Can they safely just be removed?

Back