Aventon Aventure lag response

ClayH

Local time
2:37 PM
I recently got the Aventon Aventure e bike, I noticed on peddle assist there is a slight lag before the hub motor engages. I was trying to find out from the company if this was a glitch or designed as a safety feature. I never got an real answer, but Aventon has sent out a replacement cadence sensor to replace. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue.

yes, there is a lag. i have to pedal almost a rotation before pedal assist begins. I don't find it a problem. pace NG 500.

I have the same bike as ptuner11, and pretty much a similar experience. You have to move the pedal just a little to get assist.

I suspect this is a safety feature to help keep the bike from shooting out unexpectedly from under you.

I get the idea of a safety precaution with regard to acceleration. But since Aventon sent out a replacement cadence sensor, they must feel it’s a performance issue. I don’t even mind that much, only if I’m starting on a incline just a little harder getting the heavy bike going. I don’t even use the throttle, I just keep the peddle assist between 2-3 an still get a good workout.

Is anyone have or familiar with the Aerial Kepler fat tire e bike? I checked out this bike, looked nice and has more torque than Aventon Aventure with a larger battery pack for increased distance. But I do hear people say there’s no accessories on the website.

I demo ride an aventure rode it for around 3 miles in an urban setting stop and go that sort of riding. I went to all 5 levels and did not notice lag.
On level 5 though, pedal resistance was almost non existence. I did not buy it for that reason.
I suggest go browse around over at EBR there is an active member named Jason knight in the aventon forum he can help you figure out how to tune your aventure to get the most out of it.
Then post here your fun filled riding experiences.
Thanks for the good advice!

I recently got the Aventon Aventure e bike, I noticed on peddle assist there is a slight lag before the hub motor engages. I was trying to find out from the company if this was a glitch or designed as a safety feature. I never got an real answer, but Aventon has sent out a replacement cadence sensor to replace. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue.
Yes. Too much lag starting out. Many other bikes don’t have near the lag that Aventure has

Yep. It's there. If you're deft with your gears and downshift to make starting from a stop easy, it's not an issue. You'll get the heavy bike moving instantly using human power with minimal effort from a standstill and then a moment later the PAS will engage and you can work your way to higher gears appropriate for the selected PAS level. It's probably a safety consideration. Each manufacturer assesses different "pilot error" risk factors and either does something in the hardware to mitigate them, or doesn't. This manufacturer is more concerned about the liability of a bike lurching into traffic because of too quick/accidental PAS engagement at a stop. Others are not as concerned with that particular risk scenario.

Yep. It's there. If you're deft with your gears and downshift to make starting from a stop easy, it's not an issue. You'll get the heavy bike moving instantly using human power with minimal effort from a standstill and then a moment later the PAS will engage and you can work your way to higher gears appropriate for the selected PAS level. It's probably a safety consideration. Each manufacturer assesses different "pilot error" risk factors and either does something in the hardware to mitigate them, or doesn't. This manufacturer is more concerned about the liability of a bike lurching into traffic because of too quick/accidental PAS engagement at a stop. Others are not as concerned with that particular risk scenario.
Be nice if we could set this value ourselves and assume the risk.

When taking off from a start I always use the throttle to get rolling before engaging the Pedal Assist. That way it eliminates any jump when the motor kicks in. Yes it normal for most e bike with cadence PAS to require a bit of pedal movement before the motor starts.

When taking off from a start I always use the throttle to get rolling before engaging the Pedal Assist. That way it eliminates any jump when the motor kicks in. Yes it normal for most e bike with cadence PAS to require a bit of pedal movement before the motor starts.
This has quickly become my SOP as well.

There is a learning curve to riding ebikes for sure. When riding I also use a combination of gear changes and PAS levels to keep my speed and energy output where I want them. This is no different than driving a car with a stick shift.

The reason that there is a lag is because of the motor choice. I suspect that it doesn't have hall sensors. Those sensors determine the position of the armature inside. The motor then needs at least 360 deg rotation b4 applied power. Hall sensors are really not expensive and most bafang motors have them but I suspect to keep this bike sub 2k a less expensive motor is used. Knowing the difference between cadence sensors and torque sensors I will never buy a bike with cadence sensors. Especially if the bike is used on hilly terrain. Having to suddenly stop on a steep hill and finding your in the wrong gear when you need to get going sucks. But that happens with all bikes. Normally that wouldn't pose as a total problem but we are now riding a 70 lb bike. It takes a full rotation at least to down shift with a geared bike.
I bought a bike with a rolhoff hub. It's internal gearing and shifts while stopped. Then when you apply peddle pressure the motor assist ramps up based on how hard you push.
These features are not afforded in a 2k bike.

I recently got the Aventon Aventure e bike, I noticed on peddle assist there is a slight lag before the hub motor engages. I was trying to find out from the company if this was a glitch or designed as a safety feature. I never got a real answer, but Aventon has sent out a replacement cadence sensor to replace. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue.
That issue is fixed with the new Aventure.2 with a torque sensor that starts the assist when you push on the pedal. It doesn’t have to move because the sensor detects your force. Just bought one and it is great and smooth.

I wonder if it would be possible to install a torque sensor from an adventure two on my adventure one to illuminate the lag? Maybe it would require a software update as well? Any thoughts?

I’m not sure. The sensor is only part of the solution. There is also a software and electronics part.

The reason for the lag is safety. Consider this scenario: You're at a stoplight with cars whizzing by in front of you, and you bump the crank with your leg → the bike takes off without delay, you're going to get splattered and it could be considered the mfr's fault. Therefore, it's a smart idea to program the controller such that it is SURE you're ACTUALLY pedaling before applying power.

If you don't like the lag, just start yourself off with a bit of throttle as you pedal away until you know the cadence sensor has sent the "go signal" to the controller. Or downshift as you come to a stop, as others have mentioned.

As to why Aventon sent you a replacement sensor, it's probably just in the interest of good customer service; they didn't want to argue with you, so they assumed you're right that your cadence sensor was faulty. Good on them!

I wonder if it would be possible to install a torque sensor from an adventure two on my adventure one to illuminate the lag? Maybe it would require a software update as well? Any thoughts?
If possible, it probably wouldn't be worth it. The older models might not have the right mounting points and such for the torque sensor hardware, and it might be a different controller as well.

I now have a Level.2, with the torque-sensing that was essentially a $500 upgrade from the cadence sensor version. I don't think it's worth it. Now that I have the torque sensor, I find that I can't get as little assistance as I want. That amount of assistance is not currently adjustable in firmware. It would be an easy firmware fix by Aventon and could even be done through the mobile app alone! I think I'm going to write to them about it.

Put another way, let's say I want to set up the bike only to supplement when I can't maintain 9 mph on my own: I can't do it, except with PAS = 0 and with manual throttle input. Any amount of effort I put into it pretty much takes me up the gears until I'm going 18 mph or over. Either I'm stronger than I think or it's too much assistance on PAS 1. With my cadence-sensored bikes, it was easy: I set the PAS for 9 mph, pedal away at a comfortable 10 mph. When I hit a hill, headwind or just get tired the motor gently engages to keep me moving.

For now, I just go with the flow and go faster or switch between PAS 1 and 0 as needed. I've only got ~45 miles on the bike, after all, so maybe it is a learning curve. I will say that it feels more natural than a cadence sensored bike, and that is important to a lot of people.

Back