Aventon Aventure - Bike Repair Stand

tacoma_jim

Local time
2:17 PM
I've had my Aventure Step-Thru for a while now and have upwards of 500 miles on it and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone who owns the Step-Thru Aventure have or recommend a bike repair stand that can support this?

Difficult on a step-thru.

Have seen several DIY with PVC pipe, there are also some commercial ones, a bit pricey. Not all step-thru models are the same, so getting a good match may be tricky.

I've had my Aventure Step-Thru for a while now and have upwards of 500 miles on it and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone who owns the Step-Thru Aventure have or recommend a bike repair stand that can support this?

I don’t have the Aventure, but have the Pace 500.

After doing some due diligence, I settled on the Feedback Sports Ultralight.

It‘s a little expensive, but has a few nice features, including:

-Can support heavy ebikes. Max load is 85lbs, which should handle your Aventure, and definitely my 52 lb Pace
-Well built with metal parts. Should last over time
-Tripod base (many stands only have 2 ”feet”). Nice and stable.
-No assembly
-Lightweight to carry and compresses quickly into something I can conveniently store away
-Easy height adjustment
-Can rotate bike 360 degrees (not sure why I would though)
-Very easy sliding clamp mechanism. I felt this was important as I didn’t want to fiddle faddle with a clamp while lifting a heavy bike.

Here is my bike getting a little cleanup, maintenance and lube this afternoon:

02ED5AF4-68EB-4DFD-9279-8B35FF0F6DE6.jpeg

Note that I removed the battery before servicing to lighten the lift. The clamp is rubber so as to protect the bike‘s paint, but I wrapped a small towel around my crossbar anyway.

My biggest concern was getting the bike onto it, as my back is a little tricky and I avoid heavy lifting whenever I can. I found it easy, however, to just lift the battery-less bike onto the clamp at its lowest setting, and then upadjust the mount arm a foot or so once it was secured.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Addendum:

Of course this wouldn’t work on your step thru, Tacoma Jim, but should be a good choice if someone has an Aventure with a crossbar.

Even on bike with a top tube, I tend to clamp on the seat post. I worry that clamping down a bit too hard might collapse an aluminum-frame’s top tube. Steel is probably safe and not sure about carbon fiber. Even if your seat isn’t set high enough, it’s trivially easy to raise it for maintenance.

I use a Park stand that must be 20-30 years old and serves me well on a variety of bikes. Photo to follow.

Here’s my Aventure supported by my ancient Park stand:

52390615324_e8fe0bae32_z.jpg

Clamping the seat post:

52390306736_03ec57536f_z.jpg

Lifting a 73 lb bike to clamp it is non-trivial. Removing the battery knocks about 10 lbs off which does make a difference. But still not easy. But well worth it for all sorts of maintenance, especially drive train cleaning/lubing/adjustment.

Even on bike with a top tube, I tend to clamp on the seat post. I worry that clamping down a bit too hard might collapse an aluminum-frame’s top tube. Steel is probably safe and not sure about carbon fiber. Even if your seat isn’t set high enough, it’s trivially easy to raise it for maintenance.

I use a Park stand that must be 20-30 years old and serves me well on a variety of bikes. Photo to follow.
So one of the few things I do know from the past that still holds true is that if you go to a bike shop and they have a bike clamped to anything other than the seat post... walk away!

You can "get away" with it on a steel frame bike but not aluminum and definitely NEVER carbon fiber! The logic is simple. If you stress the seat post (clamp it too tightly or put too much torque on it working on the bike) then it's a cheap and easy replacement. If you tweak the frame you just junked a bike.

A new repair stand might be costly, costing more than a hundred dollars. As a result, I decided to create my own bike rack for maintenance out of household objects. I require two 34" x 48" and two 34" x 12" pipes. Connect the long pipe to the short one with a metal elbow joint. When it appears like a letter L, connect it to the flange.

That is a 72 pound bike and it will require a pretty substantial stand. My wife has the same bike. I use an old Park PCS-10 stand which is rated for 80 pounds. You have to clamp it by the seat post. It’s a bear to pick up by yourself and clamp it. 2 people helps a lot. The PCS-10 has been superseded by the PCS-10.3. It’s like $280 but it’s one of the only home repair stands that can handle that weight.

Here’s my Aventure supported by my ancient Park stand:

52390615324_e8fe0bae32_z.jpg

Clamping the seat post:

52390306736_03ec57536f_z.jpg

Lifting a 73 lb bike to clamp it is non-trivial. Removing the battery knocks about 10 lbs off which does make a difference. But still not easy. But well worth it for all sorts of maintenance, especially drive train cleaning/lubing/adjustment.
That is an old professional park repair stand. Those are golden! But they are huge $, unless you can find a deal on a shop liquidating equipment.

Back