Are there bike stands for working on ebikes?

richard

Local time
2:17 PM
Just had my first flat tire on my ebike. I ended up taking it to a local shop to repair the tube.

Over the years, I have taken care of ordinary maintenance on my bikes, but suddenly I realized that there is a huge difference between working on a 26lb. MTB and a 60lb BAC (Big Assed Cruiser). The MTB I would just hang from a couple of ceiling hooks and work away. Is there a bike stand that will hold a BAC, or am I gonna have to fabricate something? How do you guys handle day to day maintenance on your ebikes?

The added complication is that like many of the electrics, my top tube runs sort of parallel to the down tube eliminating it as a holding point. I'll hang up and listen.

To change a tube on my ebike I just flip it over. With the battery out it's a lot lighter.

I did change flat tires many times, but for my ebikes i have been to the store this year to see all the details and difficulties , like the tires must be inflated to a certain pressure, the bolts need to be tighten a lot tighter than an ordinary bike, a special lube needs to be applied on the connections you have unplugged. oh and ALWAYS remove the battery before the whole process...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine needed some corrosion cleaned on a few connection it wasn't letting me use up the last bit of the battery a Little di-electric grease does wonders and I adjusted a few prongs for better connections.

As for the ebike itself, to change a tube I just flip it over. With the battery out it's a lot lighter.
My controller sits in an awkward place, so I’d have to loosen it as well as a mount I use for GPS.

The first thing to do is buy new tires. Shwalbe and Continental both make kevlar reinforced tires. Then put in puncture resistant tubes with slime.

The first thing to do is buy new tires. Shwalbe and Continental both make kevlar reinforced tires. Then put in puncture resistant tubes with slime.
Schalbe Kevlar is OK. Schwalbe Green Guard and Smart Guard are *way* tougher. Depending on size needed and use, I like the Marathon Mondial Double Defense, the Super Moto-X, and the Big Ben Plus. Oh, and Schwalbe has a tough a ebike MTB tire, too, if you need knobbies.

How do you guys handle day to day maintenance on your ebikes?
When mounting to a workstand, I usually clamp on the seatpost. It gets the wheels up, but you can’t rotate it upside down.

For flipping ebikes upside down, I stick scrap 2x4s under the grips to keep handlebar electronics off the ground.

Attachments

• park tools ebike stand.jpg
    park tools ebike stand.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 220
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back