Are Bonelli Park off-road trails in California Class-1 eBike friendly?

Whiptastic

Local time
9:04 AM
Does anyone know if Bonelli Park off-road trails are Class 1 electric bike friendly? I see the typical old school “no motorized vehicles” listed, but can’t find their take on the new electric bike laws passed in recent years that reclassify Class 1-3 electric bikes. Anyone know what their current stance is? Thanks.

FWIW they (LA County Parks) reiterate that "Gas-powered bicycles and type 3 electric bicycles (with top assisted speeds of 28 mph) may not be used on County trails or bike paths" which implies that Classes 1 & 2 are OK. The fly in the ointment is that when they speak of "bike paths" they imply paved.

From lacounty.gov/pdd/bike/map comes "Bike Path - off-street paved path, intended exclusively for non-motorized use. Electric-assist and electric-powered mobility devices (e.g. electric bikes) allowed as per CA State Statute"

CA State Statute does not differentiate between paved or not when it comes to electric bicycles. (Federal law is a different story)

The above bikeways map loads by default with the Hiking and Riding layer turn off; if "Hiking and Riding - Unpaved" is selected then the Bonelli Park Trails are shown as fair game for e-bikes per the CA State Statute.

YMMV

Ask a ranger?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also going to say “ask a ranger”, but from my experience at several different park jurisdictions,few people know. Ask 2 rangers and you get 2 different answers. Good luck

Back