Any experience with < 40 lb., < $500 (US) folders?

Smaug

Local time
3:45 PM
I'm already looking at a second e-bike. My first one is a heybike Ranger, which is a folding, 500 W, Class 3, fat-tired model. While it does fold, I found it's too heavy (at 71 lbs.) to reasonably put in my sedan's trunk. I can barely lift it, so I'm finding it not to be maneuverable, once I've got it up.

Thus, the search for a lighter model. I'm thinking 20" max wheel diameter, no fat tires and under 40 lbs. US Class 1 or 2 would be fine (20 mph max. assistance) 20 mile range with some pedal assistance would also be fine.

I'm looking at a few models on Amazon right now. Have any of you got one of these? If so, which one and what do you think of it?

My city has really bad pavement, so I'd prefer larger wheels and or suspension, if that won't make it too heavy.

Ancheer 350 W; this 12"-wheeled model is more of an electric scooter, since it hasn't got pedals.

Sailnovo; this one looks good, with 14" wheels and a rear shock, as well as pedal-ability.

Gyroor; this one has an elegant design and folds up small, but no pedals and no suspension. 14" wheels.

GoTrax; this one looks perfect in terms of specs., but customer satisfaction is spotty and it breaks the budget. 16" wheels and a proper rear shock would probably give this a nice ride, though.

If not, what have you got inside these specs that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Depending on rider size & weight, some folding ebikes with small wheels may not be well suited.
The adjustable range of the seat/stem may not be able to accommodate large/tall riders,
weight distribution once the rider is on the bike may not be ideal, cause the ebike to wheelie easily or rider go over the handlebars while under heavy braking.

Depending on rider size & weight, some folding ebikes with small wheels may not be well suited.
The adjustable range of the seat/stem may not be able to accommodate large/tall riders,
weight distribution once the rider is on the bike may not be ideal, cause the ebike to wheelie easily or rider go over the handlebars while under heavy braking.
Well, I’m 5’8” tall with a 30” inseam and 183 lbs. Any suggestions now that you know that?

Are you aware those bikes on your list are made for kids. @Smaug buy one or two and post pictures of you riding it. I'm pretty sure members here doesn't have a bike like those.
You will be the first !. Let us know,
Well, made for Asians anyway, with 25” inseams…

I'm 5'10", about 175 lb. with 34" inseam. My wife is 4'11", she loves these micro ebikes.
QhEV8AD.jpg

I ride these compact micro ebikes with minor modifications to the handlebar & stem to allow more reach, better weight distribution to accommodate their super short wheelbase.
I also change the crankarms to shorter length so I could pedal in smaller circles, take up less cargo room when transporting them in a car.
I still look like a bear on a tiny bike while riding, I'm not using full leg extension with saddle at my normal seat height.
9nCdfb7.jpg

And their top speed is best kept below 18-20 mph, simply because of their short wheelbase; it is simply unsafe to operate at higher speed if you have rough pavement that may tip you over the handlebars with a nice bump.
But for my operation in NYC metro, 20 mph is plenty in traffic, 15-18 mph is a nice cruising speed and these micro ebikes are good at sustaining that speed with my weight.
They do take some practice to master, since the handling of these micro ebikes are drastically different than a fat tire ebike.

For size comparison, here's a picture of micro ebike next to my 27.5" eMTB:
O7IvzrH.jpg

$500 budget, sub 40 lb. that's going to be tough to find that combo.
The battery along on these micro ebikes are close to 30 lb.

Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff for me, "A".

My fiancee is 5'2" tall, but with a longish legs, about the same 30" inseam as me. I'm also thinking about my 10 year-old daughter, who is about 4'2" tall. My main use will be as something that should fold up small enough to fit in the trunk of my sedan. (2022 Subaru WRX) The trunk has decent volume, but the opening is not too big. (I'm missing my hatchback right about now) I think any of these would do, at least the ones I can find.

It sounds like they will be OK, but I shouldn't necessarily expect full leg extension. (it may not be necessary, since it's electric, but would be ideal if it was) I may just need to order an extension. I ordered the Sailnovo bike. I might need to get a longer seatpost, or it might be OK with its lower gearing. (Its single speed is geared for 8 mph, from the reviews)

Daughter's going to love it, that's for sure.

Yeah, you won't be doing much pedaling, that's why I got the shaft-driven models.
No chain to mess up the interior of car if it is being transported, no chain to maintain, but still a way to propel the bike with pedal action.
Shaft-drive may be heavier, but I think (& hope) they would last longer than chain & sprockets.
Additionally, the shaft-drive micro ebikes have regen capability, they function like a hand-crank flashlight, but just cranking with your legs.
One of the reason I changed the crankarms to shorter cranks, to have smaller circle to pedal.
The regen function doesn't recharge the battery all that much, but does extend the range of the battery, maybe 5%.
With a large battery that can allow you to cruise 70-80 miles, 5% is about 3.5 to 4 miles, maybe just far enough to get home.
My wife & I have been on 40 mile rides with minimum pedaling and still have 2/3 to 1/2 battery capacity left, my wife doesn't weigh as much as I do.

By the way, I did find the shaft driven ones, but under a different brand name and they’re over budget; about $1070 shipped.

Yeah, I ordered mine on Alibaba back in NOV 2020, didn't receive them close to APR 2021.
The cost of those large capacity batteries have really gone up.

Closer to your budget, Fiido D2S, has gears, compact size, somewhat lightweight.. though out of stock for US sales for a few weeks now.

Yeah, I ordered mine on Alibaba back in NOV 2020, didn't receive them close to APR 2021.
The cost of those large capacity batteries have really gone up.

Closer to your budget, Fiido D2S, has gears, compact size, somewhat lightweight.. though out of stock for US sales for a few weeks now.

I like the look of that one. Rear suspension will help the ride quality with the small diameter, thin tires. Looks like a proper shock, too; not just a rubber barrel.

I really like the full fenders too. A lot of companies will provide a front fender that doesn't go low enough to keep the rider's feet & lower legs clean, but this one does.

If money were no object, I'd probably get a MiRider One. They're from a family-owned UK company and seem to be really well thought out. A high quality option that is not quite "Brompton Bucks." They're about $2k. Check out some of the YouTube videos on it. ...maybe when I get my next bonus...

Back