Any bikes under 50 pounds?

Cecirdr

Local time
8:46 AM
I'm searching, but so far the results are showing most folding bikes are 60-70 pounds. Those weights will be difficult for me to transport the bike. Which bikes out there have decent range, won't break the bank, and are 50 pounds or less? (I have other things I'd love to have like belt drive, but I will probably have to reconsider that option since that is only on more expensive bikes. But I think it sure would be great to have that too since we would ride on dirt/sand and it would lower our maintenance needs)

I appreciate any pointers!

What's your budget for "not breaking the bank"?

I have a micro e-bike with 7-speed that cost $600 about 3 years ago, not sure if I could still find the seller.
It weighs about 38-48 lb., 350w hub motor, 12Ah seatpost battery, 3 levels of PAS.
I can fit it easily fold into my wife's Prius C trunk.
4bWJ5KC.jpg

What's your budget for "not breaking the bank"?

I have a micro e-bike with 7-speed that cost $600 about 3 years ago, not sure if I could still find the seller.
It weighs about 38-48 lb., 350w hub motor, 12Ah seatpost battery, 3 levels of PAS.
I can fit it easily fold into my wife's Prius C trunk.

I'd love to find something under 3k. I need to be able to get two bikes. Hopefully, with the back seat down in my suv, they would both fit. A hitch on my car won't work because on many occasions, I'll be pulling a trailer. It's a tiny teardrop trailer though, so there's little room inside it for two bikes. Hmmm, one might fit, and the other inside my car though.

We ride mostly on flat areas or low hills (except our neighborhood that has some whoppers!): ashphalt, gravel, dirt, sand (hard pack). We'll often go 20 miles or more for an outing. So good range would be nice in case we opt to go further. I'd love a belt drive to minimize maintenance because neither of us is a biking/gear changing guru and I'd love the ability to have a rack/basket to pickup a few groceries while we're out. We just want to enjoy the day, be outside, and not worry about loading/unloading.

Theres a few out there try the "Ride one up" model and listen to Micah Toll,he has some good tests on lighter fairly low end bike.
Sorry"A' all I can tell Cecirdr is Micah is to be found on the "Electrek" site,I wont even try to send a link with this old computer it just erased a long paragraph I was typing( this old HP is going to the computer shop to be donated, its a shame its a nice touch screen All in one)

The Specialized Creo weighs 30 lb and looks like a road bike. Love it!
0413211316b_Film4_resized.jpg
road bike.

I'm searching, but so far the results are showing most folding bikes are 60-70 pounds. Those weights will be difficult for me to transport the bike. Which bikes out there have decent range, won't break the bank, and are 50 pounds or less? (I have other things I'd love to have like belt drive, but I will probably have to reconsider that option since that is only on more expensive bikes. But I think it sure would be great to have that too since we would ride on dirt/sand and it would lower our maintenance needs)

Check out the GinX via the link below. It has a suspension fork and both a throttle and 5 levels of pedal assist! Also, it has a ‘walk’ mode, a 7-SP Shimano derailleur and comes with a headlight and taillight. The bike weighs only 42-lbs. and with these and all the other features you can’t find an ebike of this quality and with this many features at this price point. And the Customer Service has been absolutely great! The 2 co-owners, Rahul and Marianna, have consistently responded personally to my emails because they are very customer focused. I live in the Minneapolis Metro area and have ridden it in a couple of inches of snow and through some icy/slushy conditions last winter, although I swapped out the orig. equip. CST tires for a set of 2.2 wide '45NTH' studded tires, which really helps in these conditions. Now that the snow is gone, I mounted a set of 1.75” x 27.5 with an all-terrain tread which I inflated to a much higher pressure than the orig. 2.2” x 27.5 and which will give me a longer range than the 2.2s. So, I am a happy camper, so to speak!

https://www.ginebikes.com/?ref=mikemehle

Check out the GinX via the link below. It has a suspension fork and both a throttle and 5 levels of pedal assist! Also, it has a ‘walk’ mode, a 7-SP Shimano derailleur and comes with a headlight and taillight. The bike weighs only 42-lbs. and with these and all the other features you can’t find an ebike of this quality and with this many features at this price point. And the Customer Service has been absolutely great! The 2 co-owners, Rahul and Marianna, have consistently responded personally to my emails because they are very customer focused. I live in the Minneapolis Metro area and have ridden it in a couple of inches of snow and through some icy/slushy conditions last winter, although I swapped out the orig. equip. CST tires for a set of 2.2 wide '45NTH' studded tires, which really helps in these conditions. Now that the snow is gone, I mounted a set of 1.75” x 27.5 with an all-terrain tread which I inflated to a much higher pressure than the orig. 2.2” x 27.5 and which will give me a longer range than the 2.2s. So, I am a happy camper, so to speak!

The Luna Cycle Eclipse is a folder with full suspension, a Gates belt drive, does about 25 mph and has a 20-ish mile range depending on the usual factors. I had one for a while and it was a decent bike. The suspension was very entry level but it worked ok. It is a folder but it isn't super compact. At $1500.00 though, It's pretty tough to find a new bike with those features for cheaper. I put several hundred miles on mine and then upgraded to something faster (and much heavier).

Then, there is this thing:
The Jack Rabbit is super light at 24 lbs. and more compact than most folding bikes. It will do around 20 mph and has a range of 10-12 miles. (you could opt for an extra battery carry that with and still be under 30 lbs.) I rode one recently and it was pretty fun. It felt sturdy and well made for what it is. Definitely not a performance oriented bike though. More something to keep on a boat or RV etc. $1000.00

Keep in mind that just a battery and motor combo can easily weigh 20 lbs. or more if they have a decent amount of power/range.
Typically, Light+Fast+Durable=$$$ if not, It's probably not going to last very long.

ride1up roadster v2 excellent $1045 I put 3000 miles on mine and it works perfectly. It’s very lightweight.

Don't this fits their size and weight requirements at all. Nice bike but IMHO not s goog fit.

Model X - Under 30 lbs, belt drive, under 3 grand.... https://ridecarbo.com/collections/all-bikes

A few have mentioned the ride1up roadster but I'd also add the KBO Hurricane, Urtopia Chord, Aventon Soltera (if you can find one), and GoCycle

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Urtopia Carbon 1/1s is a very good choice for $2000-ish carbon fiber ebikes, very light bike body (~35lbs) and stylish design.

Also, use coupon code ZACK650 to receive $650 off MSRP.

Back