Amateur Radio nerd

snipechief

Local time
2:36 AM
That's right. I am a amateur radio operator (Ham) . Ive been a Ham since 2013, and i am an Extra Class operator. Today, and most Saturdays I participate in the weekly radio Net called the U.S. Coast Guard amateur radio net on 20 meter USB 14.300 Mhz . It's a place where folks that were in the CG can get together weekly and say hello to all that served. We also of course invite any veterans from any service. You can listen live on what they call the tune in app on the web at W5cgc.org. the net starts at noon EST. My Daughter and family listen in every Saturday to hear the old man (me) check in. Next Saturday my daughter and grand baby will be here visiting, and I'm going to get them on the air.

snipechief

Local time
Here's the shack presently
20221105_103507.jpg

Ancientcoin

Local time
12:36 AM
I don't know how HAM radio works. I had a CB radio when I was a kid. It had a 80 mile range or something like that. Is ham radio the same way? Is there a range?

snipechief

Local time
I don't know how HAM radio works. I had a CB radio when I was a kid. It had a 80 mile range or something like that. Is ham radio the same way? Is there a range?
Yes, I talk worldwide when conditions are good. Every day I make contacts with stations thousands of miles away.

Ancientcoin

Local time
Okay, if you don't mind me asking, what would it take to get a decent beginning setup? Cost?

Ancientcoin

Local time
I watched a documentary on Malaysian airlines flight 370 a year or so ago. I don't know if anything ever became of it, but Ham radio people believed they had found its location in the ocean. Something about blips in the signals that had been recorded.

Snoop

Local time
My uncle really got into this when I was a little kid.

I used to enjoy going into his radio room. He had maps on the wall, pinned with all of the areas in the world he had contacted.

I imagine the internet has taken a bit of shine off of that these days, now that we are all instantly digitally connected, but back in the 70’s it was insanely cool that he was talking to somebody in Australia. Heck, it still is.

snipechief

Local time
My uncle really got into this when I was a little kid.

I used to enjoy going into his radio room. He had maps on the wall, pinned with all of the areas in the world he had contacted.

I imagine the internet has taken a bit of shine off of that these days, now that we are all instantly digitally connected, but back in the 70’s it was insanely cool that he was talking to somebody in Australia. Heck, it still is.
I don't do digital comms, just analog radio and antenna, and a little extra power.

Top Bottom