Advice please

happy hippy

Local time
11:22 AM
Had 2 x spokes break/shear at the nipples on my rear wheel. Should i go for a belt and braces repair in replacing all the nipples on the wheel with brass ones or just have the 2 relaced with the same that sheared.

Whats ýour thoughts

Replacing broken spoke should require to de-tension the whole wheel,
if you only replace the broken spoke and tighten the new spoke, tension of the wheel is not even, likely the next spoke will be broken soon after.
You don't have to replace all the nipples, but loosen all the spokes and tension up the whole wheel evenly as best as you can;
that will likely last longer if you only replace the broken spoke one at a time.

Had 2 x spokes break/shear at the nipples on my rear wheel. Should i go for a belt and braces repair in replacing all the nipples on the wheel with brass ones or just have the 2 relaced with the same that sheared.

Whats ýour thoughts
I’m not understanding how Brass nipples would solve the issue of broken spokes.

Spokes don’t tend to fail in shear. The failure was likely the result of excessive tension, poor quality spokes, a wheel that can’t handle the force or all three.

Broken spokes can result in a crash. My recommendation, for what it’s worth, would be to have your wheels re-laced. Spokes should not break.

Would you like to describe the situation in more detail? (make and model, contributing factors…..).

Sorry on reading back my post i now realise my mistake. The spokes are fine its the nipples that have snapped. I wonder if the spokes are short putting pressure on the nipples or if its a wheel tension problem was thinking of maybe having the wheel re laced as the original spokes are 1.8mm with 2.0mm butts. Don't know if these are strong enough for a 40lbs ebike plus 185lbs me on the hills around my location :)

Back