A Full Suspension Fat Tire Snow ebike?

PeterBulls

Local time
3:03 PM
Is anyone aware of a good performing mtb ebike for the snow? I can't seem to find anything designed around true mtb performance (not a hunting bike) that has full suspension, a good mid-frame motor, Class 1, and weighs in the normal ebike 55lbs range?

Thank you for the link. Quite a few reasonably priced components. But my biggest issue is the 85 lbs, a little too much weight. 30 lbs more than my high performance mtn ebike. It's not a class 1 bike which I need for where I ride. This sounds like a total CN company. Will they be here tomorrow?

But I appreciate the tip and link. I had not heard of that DTC company before.

Thank you for the link. Quite a few reasonably priced components. But my biggest issue is the 85 lbs, a little too much weight. 30 lbs more than my high performance mtn ebike. It's not a class 1 bike which I need for where I ride. This sounds like a total CN company. Will they be here tomorrow?

I'm not sure if you will be able to find one as light as you want...maybe in a couple of years

Yes it may take awhile, if ever. It must be a small market and the bike biz is under extraordinary strains right now. I suspect they are struggling just to keep up with the volume selling bikes and ebikes.

I'm new to the whole ebike scene but have done a ton of research. I might be completely wrong but there are alot of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum so if what you're looking for exists than I think you found the right place to find it

I finally got a Fantic Fat Sport Integra fat tire ebike for my snow trails. It has a Brose motor which is a fantastic system. That is what's on my regular mtn ebike too. The Fantic works great and has opened up my world of riding in the snow. It has smoother power to the ground than my acoustic bike with the pulsing human power cadence when hill climbing. As a result it does much less damage to the trail than acoustic bikes on the uphill allowing me to climb steeper hills and go farther without stopping. I did put 4.6 inch 45NRTH Dillinger 5 tires on it to upgrade the rather smaller all terrain 4.0 tires that it came with. Despite being a hardtail it rides great as the snow is pretty smooth without the hard hits like in the dirt. At 47 lbs it is a great compromise over those 75-85 lbs full suspension fat tire bikes that seem to be more oriented towards hunting than trail riding.

Pretty sweet winter tires there (y)

This bike @PeterBulls ?

Pretty sweet lookin (y)

They are out of Ashville, South Carolina. I got a hardtail mid motor from M2S a few years ago. The frame cracked on me on a Sunday single track ride.. I contacted them and had a full suspension frame delivered to me by Thursday. Great company and good support! The 1000w Bafang M620 motor more than compensates for the 85 lbs and for $3000, I don't think you can do better. I also bought a second set of wheels from them with 3 inch tires for better handling in the other 3 seasons.

That's good to hear such a successful warranty and customer service response. And you point out some good tips to make it a useful full seasons bike. My regular full suspension summer mtn ebike weighs the typical ~55lbs. In the deep snows we get in Utah, its a struggle climbing out from under that bike when I tip over, especially when you reach down with your arm to get up and it sinks through the snow to your shoulder. Sometimes I have to use my upper leg to kick the bike off me and them climb out of the snow and back to the trail. 85lbs could be especially problematic for me. Certainly a 1000 watt motor would keep it moving with ease. But I like the nimble handling of a 47lbs fat tire ebike in the snow.

Just something to consider for regions with a deep snowpack.

With all that said/rationalized I may just buy one of these because of the value and capabilities. I have only owned Class 1 ebikes so this may be a fun Class 3(?) ebike. Class 3 are not allowed on most of the snow trails I ride on so it will be primarily a paved bike path, motorized trail, and dirt road bike.

Back