A Bright Idea... Show your Lighting/Visibility items!

CloneWerks

Local time
4:16 AM
Dusk and dark are coming sooner these days and where I live we refer to this as the "changeable weather" season with lots of mist and fog so anything that enhances visibility is a good idea.

Show us what you use to See and BE SEEN!

I'll start off. (As you may guess... I like lights)

ACTIVE LIGHTING:
The Addmotor Motan comes with a built in headlight that takes a direct 48v feed and has a buck-regulator that steps things down to 5.5v before it hits the LED. The light is relatively bright, but pretty spot focused and really is more of a "to be seen" light as opposed to one that "allows you to see" for night cycling.

Screen Shot 09-08-22 at 09.46 AM.PNG

Since I wasn't satisfied with that light I also added a very nice Milwaukee "Red Lithium" 1100 work-light clamped to the handlebars (in depth review here).
Screen Shot 09-08-22 at 09.54 AM.PNG

The flashlight is absolutely amazing, the cheap mount I used is.... okay. I like the way it lights things up, I really don't like the aesthetics of it so I'm looking for an alternative method of mounting and may just go ahead and design/3D print something to mount it in place of that crappy stock light.

For a tail-light I'm using this USB rechargeable light, the Padonow "Smart" bike Tail Light with anti-theft alarm (full review here) and I couldn't be happier with this particular light.
Screen Shot 09-08-22 at 09.58 AM.PNG

Finally I also have a set of these clip-on blinkers that I can place wherever as I feel is needed. I usually clip one to the back of my shirt collar to supplement the tail-light.

Screen Shot 09-08-22 at 10.00 AM.PNG

PASSIVE REFLECTORS/VISIBILITY:

I also have the typical passive stuff. Wheel and front and rear reflectors as well as the totally awesome REFLECTIVE WHEEL STICKERS that Addmotor sells.

Screen Shot 09-08-22 at 10.05 AM.PNG

So yes, I'm lit up like a Christmas tree as well as wearing bright clothing. The one thing I would like to find is some nice cycling gloves with good reflectors on the back side to make my hands more visible when signaling turns and such.

I’ve been very happy with the Garmin Varia, rear facing radar/flashing light. It has four modes and the flashing mode becomes more erratic when it knows that a vehicle is coming, (it tries to get the attention of the driver). It is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as getting hit. The newer model can be used with an iPhone.

They even have a version with a camera, (I have no plan of buying that one, but I do see the value, especially if you have a problem with a driver).

B17DED80-88D0-4DF9-8213-27D5DEFF2A21.jpeg

I feel that I am very visible when on the road.

ACTIVE LIGHTING:

• Headlamp: Integrated/hardwired into bike and can turn on/off at control panel. Not sure how many lumens but it is a bright white light and coworkers squint if I forget to turn it off prior to rolling my bike thru the front door
  • Running lights: These are also integrated into the frame along the seat stays. I love this part of the bike, and they are also a bright red, and toggle on at the control panel.
6D69A713-24AF-41F3-B773-805B3491AF60.jpeg

• Tail light: Here I have mounted below my rear rack a red light brighter than a thousand suns. It’s actually 200 lumens, and I know you can go brighter, but I accidentally looked directly into it once and greatly regretted it. I have the Cygolite Hotshot 200 Pro mounted there, and run it on a slowly fading pulse. It easily detaches from the bike via a clip, and charges by USB. The charge holds for about 3 commutes (36 miles/ 2.5 hours) so I’m just in the habit of charging it along with my bike battery every other commute.
Here is a thread about how I jigged it onto my rack, if interested.

21E9DED3-CF96-40E4-B48C-4C96C612F8E6.jpeg

• Helmet light: I have a little, somewhat cheap, LED light integrated into the back of my bike helmet, which I run at a moderate speed flash. Runs on one of those button batteries which I had to replace after about 750 miles, and will probably replace again soon.
PASSIVE REFLECTION/VISIBILITY:

• Reflectors on my spokes and petals
  • Rim reflectors (came already on tires)
8F03045B-625E-4FB7-BD55-69F9A4508F1A.jpeg

• Clothing: I don‘t own a lot of official biking gear, but I have a few neon colored shirts which I usually pull over my regular shirt when biking in poor light. Got a bright yellow fleece I wear when it’s chilly.

Well, I haaaad a rear tail light. Took a nice after dinner ride tonight and when I got back, realized the light was gone. I remember hearing a sound of something falling, but thought it was a stick I ran over at the time.

Drove the car along the route I took thinking it would stick out like a sore thumb with its bright pulsing light, but nada…..I’m guessing somebody found it and kept it as a treasure.

Oh well, that’s $45 flushed..….just ordered a new one. Will be better about checking its tightness in the future.

Well, I haaaad a rear tail light. Took a nice after dinner ride tonight and when I got back, realized the light was gone. I remember hearing a sound of something falling, but thought it was a stick I ran over at the time.

Drove the car along the route I took thinking it would stick out like a sore thumb with its bright pulsing light, but nada…..I’m guessing somebody found it and kept it as a treasure.

Oh well, that’s $45 flushed..….just ordered a new one. Will be better about checking its tightness in the future.
Oh I've been there... more than once. <sigh>

Back