750 watt hub motor to 1000w conversion

Verny

Local time
1:45 AM
First Post. Hi bike nuts like me. I have an almost new aventon aventure fat tire bike. 750 watt bafang motor. I live in the mountains and would like to upgrade the motor to a 1000w Bafang hub motor. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks

Hi Verny, the Aventure is actually equipped with a G062 1000w motor. Aventon is one of many companies who under exaggerate their motor specs stating it’s a 750w. I’ve put the Aventure up against e-bikes with actual G060 750w motors like M2S, Cyrusher, Velowave, etc, and even though they have the same volt battery and identical programmed controller amp output the Aventure beats them all in hill climbing, acceleration, and top speed since it’s a stronger motor. If the Aventure’s 22 amp controller didn’t have a speed limit cap on the throttle it would go about 33-35 mph on flat ground this motor is a beast and no need to upgrade. The lack of power is mainly due to it being paired poorly with a very underpowered controller, it’s strange why they decide to do that then companies like Cyrusher provides a G060 750w hub motor but with a 30 amp controller. If you don’t mind having a larger controller mounted to the seat tube you could pop on a KT 35 amp controller and have insane hill climbing and the motor will handle it.

Hi ebikeguy. Interesting info. Very interested in this 22 amp vs 35 amp controller info. My Aventon does do 34 mph. I reset the top speed in the Aventon app. Very easy. It is the hill climbing that gets me. I live in the Southern Sierra mts near Kernville. 90% of my riding its great. But sometimes i go from the base of the Greenhorns (about 3000’) up a dirt road to Alt Sierra (about 6000’) and its fun but pretty slow, most of it in level 1 and pretty serious pedaling. My bikes shuts down a couple times in the steep parts fir a minute or two. But i make there. A bit more power would be great and if i had it i would’t need to upgrade motors. I wonder if the 35 amp controller would be better for the brief shutdowns too? I almost use all of my stock battery on the trip up and back. Any thoughts on the battery?

The shutdowns would likely be from the controller reaching its heat limit, it’s stored inside the compartment near the cranks with no air flow. The 35 amp controller would resolve that it has many more mosfets to handle heat buildup. The frame on the Aventure isn’t the best for a controller or battery upgrade but can still be done just less options.

Controller:
I would consider two options since the rear wheel is too close to the seat tube to mount the controller between. If you don’t mind the looks you could mount the controller on the other side of the seat tube in the triangle for max airflow, otherwise you could have it look cleaner in a rear rack bag. There’s a bit more chance of it overheating but I have builds like that with almost no issues. One thing to note is that I believe your motor has the L1019 motor cable connector and the controller has Z916’s. They sell small adapters for this where you buy the controller.

Battery:
The triangle frame is too small for a battery since the top tube dips down to accomadate more riders. On bikes like the Aventure with fully integrated batteries I prefer to mount a Hailong battery on the downtube, but yours is cutting it close and the bottle mounts look too low. If that won’t work one in a rear rack bag would be best.

Parellel battery device:
These are small and I would first open the controller compartment it will likely fit in there if you’re not using that controller, otherwise you could have it in the rear bag as well. These devices are great they not only double your range they also give you an extra 5%-15% distance since it’s cutting the amp draw in half the batteries aren’t breathing as hard and they will last longer.

KT 35 Amp Controller/LCD8H Display/L1019-Z916 Adapter/Maybe Throttle
(Verify your current throttle pins for the new controller yours is likely a yellow three pin, these need black 6 pin)
electrobikeworld.com

Parellel Battery Balancer
Affordable:

High Quality:

Battery
Either Hailong or blue square battery in rear rack bag

Read the thread several times, visited the website link
As i understand it, i need the following...

KT 35a controller
LCD8H display
Thumb throttle (mine has 3 pins)
L1019-2916 adapter (to hub motor?)
Is there anything else?
Will this plug into my existing battery?
I have a rea rack and bag alread

Question - would a 25a or 30a controller be an option?
Reason: one review said the 35a jumps almost too strong
Will the lights, brake lights and othe stuff on my Aventure still work?

That’s right it’s the L1019 to Z916 motor cable adapter, they have two options you should need the L1019 female end and Z916 male end. That connection is on the bikes chainstay to verify before purchase.

I believe your controller/battery should have a yellow XT60 connector I’m not sure though, it’s possible it has an XT90 or Anderson plug all of which are cheap adapters and available with fast shipping on Amazon and eBay. You could open the controller compartment and pull it out to check, if you plan to unplug anything take the battery out first and hold the display power button down for ten seconds to avoid being shocked. You may see the display light up for a moment dispensing the remaining power in the cables then it’s safe to unplug. Their silver KT controllers have XT90’s.

You could use the 25a or 30a controller no problem, if there’s more than enough room for it I recommend the larger ones at least 30 amps to make the upgrade worthwhile. It will only have cooler operation and can easily program it to lower amps and it’s nice to have the option of more power if you ever need it. You can lower the amps as well as adjust the gradual smooth start in the LCD8H. They also have a black 35 amp KT controller made for Rad Rover upgrades that will work with all this, the difference is this one has a yellow three pin throttle but a proprietary two pin battery connector. They have many adapters for that battery connector. If you use that controller check that it’s the same throttle male/female ends that are needed.

Your hydraulic brake levers have built in motor cut off for safety, the controller may be plug and play but I’m not sure. If not electrobikeworld sells ones that do made by JuinTech it’s an easy swap. For brake light/turn signals the KT controllers have the connections and ability check with electrobikeworld if they match they have great service. Example of separate KT brake/turn signal kit:

On the Aventon Aventure there is very little room under the battery bottom connection housing/connector, but there is a bit of wiggle room in there.

I have an Aventon Aventure and installed a dual battery discharge balancer...prolly the best mod i've done to it so far, but have not done anything like change the controller on it yet....am just waiting ;)

Tthis is my controller plug to the battery. I hear aventon has a new aventure 2 model for this year. Supposed to have instant pedal torqe response dont know what size the controller is or if they chaged that.

Attachments

• FE36494C-324B-4E45-9D47-0065B1AF25B8.jpeg
    FE36494C-324B-4E45-9D47-0065B1AF25B8.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 185
That's an XT-60 connector @Verny

Yeah they have the torque sensor and a rear rack and 2 brake/tail lights now, and a greater top speed on throttle if i recall correctly..
So i believe they would have upgraded the controller for the Aventure 2 for the other changes/torque sensor thing.

There seems to be some Aventure owners that are going with different controllers and displays. I was gonna hook up the DPC18 display but the connector to controller was the same as the one on the DPC18 display LOL

That’s right it’s the L1019 to Z916 motor cable adapter, they have two options you should need the L1019 female end and Z916 male end. That connection is on the bikes chainstay to verify before purchase.

I believe your controller/battery should have a yellow XT60 connector I’m not sure though, it’s possible it has an XT90 or Anderson plug all of which are cheap adapters and available with fast shipping on Amazon and eBay. You could open the controller compartment and pull it out to check, if you plan to unplug anything take the battery out first and hold the display power button down for ten seconds to avoid being shocked. You may see the display light up for a moment dispensing the remaining power in the cables then it’s safe to unplug. Their silver KT controllers have XT90’s.

You could use the 25a or 30a controller no problem, if there’s more than enough room for it I recommend the larger ones at least 30 amps to make the upgrade worthwhile. It will only have cooler operation and can easily program it to lower amps and it’s nice to have the option of more power if you ever need it. You can lower the amps as well as adjust the gradual smooth start in the LCD8H. They also have a black 35 amp KT controller made for Rad Rover upgrades that will work with all this, the difference is this one has a yellow three pin throttle but a proprietary two pin battery connector. They have many adapters for that battery connector. If you use that controller check that it’s the same throttle male/female ends that are needed.

Your hydraulic brake levers have built in motor cut off for safety, the controller may be plug and play but I’m not sure. If not electrobikeworld sells ones that do made by JuinTech it’s an easy swap. For brake light/turn signals the KT controllers have the connections and ability check with electrobikeworld if they match they have great service. Example of separate KT brake/turn signal kit:
Did the dual battery discharger. That good, more range. I still need to do the controller upgrade The KT 35 amp is too big for my compartment. I'd like to do a 30 amp controller. Be nice if there was one that fit the Aventure components. I've contacted Cyrusher cuz I read somewhere that the Bafang G060 has a 30 amp controller that would work on my Bafang G062 (Aventure). Looking at other 30 amp controller on Amazon Spyminnpoo, Almejor, any sound good to you? Thanks for your input. The dealers (especially Aventon) aren't much help

Controller:
I would consider two options since the rear wheel is too close to the seat tube to mount the controller between. If you don’t mind the looks you could mount the controller on the other side of the seat tube in the triangle for max airflow, otherwise you could have it look cleaner in a rear rack bag. There’s a bit more chance of it overheating but I have builds like that with almost no issues. One thing to note is that I believe your motor has the L1019 motor cable connector and the controller has Z916’s. They sell small adapters for this where you buy the controller.

[/URL]

Are the KT 40 Amp controllers any good ??? Where can I get high quality parts, when I search on the web I see a bunch of cheap off brand fakes....

Hi ebikeguy. Interesting info. Very interested in this 22 amp vs 35 amp controller info. My Aventon does do 34 mph. I reset the top speed in the Aventon app. Very easy. It is the hill climbing that gets me. I live in the Southern Sierra mts near Kernville. 90% of my riding its great. But sometimes i go from the base of the Greenhorns (about 3000’) up a dirt road to Alt Sierra (about 6000’) and its fun but pretty slow, most of it in level 1 and pretty serious pedaling. My bikes shuts down a couple times in the steep parts fir a minute or two. But i make there. A bit more power would be great and if i had it i would’t need to upgrade motors. I wonder if the 35 amp controller would be better for the brief shutdowns too? I almost use all of my stock battery on the trip up and back. Any thoughts on the battery?
Get a battery blender and mount an extra 20ah 48v battery to the back rack. https://electricallwheel.com/dual-battery-discharge-balancer-kit-40a-aventon-fit/

Tthis is my controller plug to the battery. I hear aventon has a new aventure 2 model for this year. Supposed to have instant pedal torqe response dont know what size the controller is or if they chaged that.
I have an Aventon Abound - I'm also undergoing "speed woes", I can't bypass my top speed limit of 32 km/r (20 mph) and am considering simply putting a new higher amp KT controller/display to allow some of my own programming and a dual discharge balancer.

On your photo, I see the XT60 going to the stock controller, but can you tell me what the other little connector is for?

Also, I have a torque sensing BB rather than cadence - I like it a lot more than cadence, but does this have any bearing on selection of a controller?

The Aventure 2 uses a Shengyi motor not a Bafang. I have a 30a Bafang controller & T1 Touch display replacing the stock 25a Aventon controller. The Shengyi motor gets me to 30mph top speed & draws up to almost 1600watts. I'm a little worried about what the Shengyi motor will handle. I've only tested it out once on a 10 mile drive (it ate 50% of the battery).

Hi Verny, the Aventure is actually equipped with a G062 1000w motor. Aventon is one of many companies who under exaggerate their motor specs stating it’s a 750w. I’ve put the Aventure up against e-bikes with actual G060 750w motors like M2S, Cyrusher, Velowave, etc, and even though they have the same volt battery and identical programmed controller amp output the Aventure beats them all in hill climbing, acceleration, and top speed since it’s a stronger motor. If the Aventure’s 22 amp controller didn’t have a speed limit cap on the throttle it would go about 33-35 mph on flat ground this motor is a beast and no need to upgrade. The lack of power is mainly due to it being paired poorly with a very underpowered controller, it’s strange why they decide to do that then companies like Cyrusher provides a G060 750w hub motor but with a 30 amp controller. If you don’t mind having a larger controller mounted to the seat tube you could pop on a KT 35 amp controller and have insane hill climbing and the motor will handle it.
I have the Aventure 2 & I bought a Bafang G062 1000watt upgrade kit (the Aventure 2 has a 750watt Shengyi motor), with controller, display etc. . I think I got the wrong dropout size (175mm OLD) and as a consequence there's only room for 1 thin washer on the inside of the disc rotor side, or else the rotor sits too far away from the calipers, and I can only get gears 3 - 8 even with the same cassette. Anyway I made it work, and the g062 will do 34mph top speed.

But I'd like to have all the gears and have the torque washers on the inside of the frame, so I put the A2's stock Shengyi motor back on it and it does work; top speed is only 30mph now though, which is acceptable. My question is will the 750watt Shengyi motor burn out pulling 1500watts? I looked at the Shengyi website and I think it's a 750 - 1000watt motor, there's no way to tell if's that or a 500watt motor. I'm just worried about burning it out. I took it out for a full throttle 10 mile test run and the motor was warm - not hot, but that doesn't really tell me much about the inside. It does have an L1019 motor cable though. The torque sensor plugs into the controller, but it just doesn't work with the controller.

I have the Aventure 2 & I bought a Bafang G062 1000watt upgrade kit (the Aventure 2 has a 750watt Shengyi motor), with controller, display etc. . I think I got the wrong dropout size (175mm OLD) and as a consequence there's only room for 1 thin washer on the inside of the disc rotor side, or else the rotor sits too far away from the calipers, and I can only get gears 3 - 8 even with the same cassette. Anyway I made it work, and the g062 will do 34mph top speed.

But I'd like to have all the gears and have the torque washers on the inside of the frame, so I put the A2's stock Shengyi motor back on it and it does work; top speed is only 30mph now though, which is acceptable. My question is will the 750watt Shengyi motor burn out pulling 1500watts? I looked at the Shengyi website and I think it's a 750 - 1000watt motor, there's no way to tell if's that or a 500watt motor. I'm just worried about burning it out. I took it out for a full throttle 10 mile test run and the motor was warm - not hot, but that doesn't really tell me much about the inside. It does have an L1019 motor cable though. The torque sensor plugs into the controller, but it just doesn't work with the controller.
What do you do the get the stock battery to work with the aftermarket controller?
I ask because the battery connector plate has more than just a positive and a negative connector coming from it and I have no idea what the other conductor’s do. (I “think” one of them is a trigger lead to actually turn the battery on and likely another is a lead to cut power in case of temperature)

What do you do the get the stock battery to work with the aftermarket controller?
I ask because the battery connector plate has more than just a positive and a negative connector coming from it and I have no idea what the other conductor’s do. (I “think” one of them is a trigger lead to actually turn the battery on and likely another is a lead to cut power in case of temperature)
Only the + & - are used. I spliced in a battery blender and have 2 batteries running at once. The second pic shows that only the positive & negative are used; what I'm holding in my hand is from the inside of the bike frame, it's what the battery sits on.

Attachments

• 20230911_171806.jpg
    20230911_171806.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20230902_151322.jpg
    20230902_151322.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 115
Only the + & - are used. I spliced in a battery blender and have 2 batteries running at once. The second pic shows that only the positive & negative are used; what I'm holding in my hand is from the inside of the bike frame, it's what the battery sits on.
Thank you - on your second picture, is there only two wires connected to the connecting block ?
Do you need to press your power button on your battery to wake it up to ride, or does your button cluster on the handlebars do it?

Back