6'6" Guy - Commuter eBike That Fits?

Saxbusker

Local time
10:31 AM
Hi -

My first post here... I am 6'6", mainly arms & legs (37" or 38"), and want my first eBike, for commuting in Los Angeles in traffic and also to ride up in Griffith Park to the Observatory, etc. (which means a big hill that I can climb with my Trek with breaks).

Most eBikes say they fit up to 6'4" .... I have a 1987 Schwinn Tempo that fits 6'4", and I'm sore after about an hour. My Trek and especially my Waterford 1200 (66 cm crank, c-c) fit great.

I don't want a "Mary Poppins" totally upright posture, but since this is commuting in traffic, I don't want "Greg Lemond" racing posture either. I will sometimes be carrying my saxophone on my back, and an amp on the rear rack (or golf clubs...).

I've been looking at (max budget is $2000):

1. RadCity 5 Plus
2. Ride1Up 700 and Prodigy
3. Aventon Level and Level 2

----> I'd prefer Class 3 / 28 mph, but RadCity 5 Plus (Class 2) can apparently be "adjusted" to achieve 25 mph. So, there's *that* consideration (Class 3 preference but not mandatory).

These are all billed as up to 6'4", with reach of 15" for the RadCity and 20" and 22" for the others (the RadCity 5 is more of an upright stance).*

* RadCity 5 Plus actually says 6'5," but their "slider" shows that I'll just miss fitting (not quite enough leg extension).

The RadCity has the tallest handlebar height but the lowest seat (see below). The others bill a max seat height of 40," obviously enough), but how are they measuring that?

I *assume* that a taller seatpost and / or an adjustable stem would work, but I don't know if the sizes are standard. My understanding is that most of these bikes are actually all built in the same factory in China, with the companies merely putting their tweaks on them. Same with new saxophones (which is why I play old ones!).

So...

I am hoping that some other 6'6" or taller cats here with real world experience can assist me. Have any such cats ridden / bought one of the three listed bikes? Or other bikes? One of the problems with mail order bikes is the inability to try before you buy, and LBS don't like them too much ....... I don't want to have to un-put the thing together and send it back. Some have a re-stock fee.

I'm 64 but I am a long-time cyclist. I'd like the eBike to be able to ride 15-20 miles in LA (each way), which is a bit much for a regular bike for me these days.

---> I didn't bring my regular bike(s) to LA, so a mod won't do ....

Thanks,

- Jeff Newton

Rider Heights 5'4" - 6'5" (Approx. bike inseam between 30"-36.25")
Frame Size 17.5"
Handlebar Height 45-47"
Handlebar Reach 15.5"
Seat Height 25.5" - 37"

This is just my own personal opinion but ya might look into Building yur own Ebike
with your own bike and get a kit....then get a big battery like at least 25ah for a BBSHD motor kit.

Again, this is just my own opinion..there should be others chiming in sometime today.

Ride Safe & Welcome to our Humble Home! :cool:

You might want to look at the Addmotor Motan M560 P7

I did a review of it here.

This is just my own personal opinion but ya might look into Building yur own Ebike
with your own bike and get a kit....then get a big battery like at least 25ah for a BBSHD motor kit.

Again, this is just my own opinion..there should be others chiming in sometime today.

Ride Safe & Welcome to our Humble Home! :cool:
I'll be lucky if I can assemble a Ride1Up .... I have zero tools here. Just luggage and musical instruments here in La La Land... I also want an eBike now, not after I build one. But for the future, maybe a great idea!

You might want to look at the Addmotor Motan M560 P7

I did a review of it here.
I wrote to them about my height. I do want a true commuter, though, and I'll be schlepping it up 3 flights of stairs. Their commuter isn't big at all - 6'1" max height. Good find, though!

Found this on google....might be helpful. Can't speak to any of these ebikes. I ride a Lectric XP 2.0......but I am short....only 6'4"......fits me well....very comfortable.

I wrote to them about my height. I do want a true commuter, though, and I'll be schlepping it up 3 flights of stairs. Their commuter isn't big at all - 6'1" max height. Good find, though!
Oof.... yeah you do not want to try and haul that beast up multiple flights of stairs.

Found this on google....might be helpful. Can't speak to any of these ebikes. I ride a Lectric XP 2.0......but I am short....only 6'4"......fits me well....very comfortable.

Only to 6'4", but thanks....

Maybe off topic, but did Mary Poppins ever ride a bike? Thought she traveled by umbrella. :unsure:

Maybe off topic, but did Mary Poppins ever ride a bike? Thought she traveled by umbrella. :unsure:

BREAKING NEWS ! Mary Poppins will no longer be endorsing ‘Rimmel Vibrant Shades’ lipstick - she claims it “breaks too easily” and it “makes her breath smell”.​

She gave the following statement:

“The super colour fragile lipstick gives me halitosis”..

Not only do you want adjustable handlebars, but there needs to be enough cable to allow for adjustability. Therefore, I would shop for bikes with an adjustable stem. Presumably, these would provide enough cable length.

Not only do you want adjustable handlebars, but there needs to be enough cable to allow for adjustability. Therefore, I would shop for bikes with an adjustable stem. Presumably, these would provide enough cable length.
I totally agree, yet hardly any of them offer adjustable stems! Only the RadCity5 Plus. I was just in Europe, and they all did. Impractical to get one of those, though.

That said, I called Aventon and Ride1Up and both said the sizes are stock, so an aftermarket stem can be utilized. Cables are a different matter, though! I know how to re-do them on a regular bike, so hopefully no problem....

You would be better off not using an adjustable stem. They tend to have a lot of flex. I am 6'5" I got my ebike fromM2S bikes. https://shop.m2sbikes.com/ It had a ajustable stem that I changed to a 6" rigid riser on it. They say their XL frames will fit up to 6'8"

A LBS (Safety Cycle in LA) actually had an Aventon Level 2, so I test rode it (my first time on an eBIke). The seat went up high enough, but not the handlebars. They are inserting a riser and know what they're doing as far as, well, everything. Great to deal with a LBS as opposed to mail-order and yes, they honored the Black Friday price! Plus, its assembled, including some accessories. In sum, it should fit fine with riser.
You would be better off not using an adjustable stem. They tend to have a lot of flex. I am 6'5" I got my ebike fromM2S bikes. https://shop.m2sbikes.com/ It had a ajustable stem that I changed to a 6" rigid riser on it. They say their XL frames will fit up to 6'8"

I agree on the stem - never though of that (since I've never used one; thanks!). The LBS is putting in a 4" stem, which should do the trick.

A LBS (Safety Cycle in LA) actually had an Aventon Level 2, so I test rode it (my first time on an eBIke). The seat went up high enough, but not the handlebars. They are inserting a riser and know what they're doing as far as, well, everything. Great to deal with a LBS as opposed to mail-order and yes, they honored the Black Friday price! Plus, its assembled, including some accessories. In sum, it should fit fine with riser.
CONGRATS, and of course we expect a "bridge pic" when you get on the road!

I agree on the stem - never though of that (since I've never used one; thanks!). The LBS is putting in a 4" stem, which should do the trick.
My Pace 500 came with an adjustable stem from factory. It was a game changer. Gave me upright posture and I have no flex whatsoever. Feels very solid. Can't imagine riding with what most bikes come with stock. It's great to have options.

Back