6384 120kv Motor.. Anyone used one before?

Z512

Local time
2:23 PM
Hi All!

I'm new here, I've just started building my first e-bike, and I've decided to go in from scratch. I'm an electronics engineer and I wanted something to sink some time into on the slow-burn what with lockdown going on so hey, here I am.

I have bought myself a 6384 120kv motor from Amazon, it's got very little information on the listing but I thought I'd take a punt for the price.

Here's a link:

I'm building my own controller for it and I'm having trouble working out the commutation cycle..

The hall sensors behave as though they are in a 60 degree configuration.. 110, 111, 011, 001, 000,100. I've measured this with my scope

The trouble is it doesn't commutate properly with the power phases wired any way possible. I've tested the output from my controller and I believe it is correct, the MOSFET gates are at least getting the correct signal at each point in the commutation cycle to enable the phases to be powered in the usual correct order for a 60 degree sensored motor.

The odd thing is I've actually managed to get it to spin pretty fuildly (without a load) using a program for operating on a 120 degree sensor arrangement, so I'm not sure if there is something funky about the way the poles are wired in this motor? It's been boggling my mind for now anyway.

Anyone ever used one of these motors in a build before?

There are so many of them for sale on the internet, but there is so little information available on them. All I could find was one page featuring a limited teardown. This one webpage also pointed out some manufacturing inconsistencies in terms of the sensor wiring colours so I am not hopeful that the other wires will be consistent with what other people have found but I'm interested to hear what other people have found with this motor anyway.

With a rating of 4600W at a price of £50 I couldn't resist, although I am not hopeful of it actually achieving that.

TLDR - Anyone used the 6384 120kv motor before? - Anyone know the commutation cycle for this motor, i.e which phases are energised at which hall position?

Thanks guys,
Z :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I created an account here just to respond to this, because just like you I haven't been able to find diddly squat about these 120kv motors. I just got a pair of these last week (marked BDUAV 6384 120Kv) and am currently waiting on a pair of FSESC4.20 boards to arrive today from amazon. Was curious how much current yours pulls when running full tilt, and whether you're running it at 36V or 48V?

Hi All!

I'm new here, I've just started building my first e-bike, and I've decided to go in from scratch. I'm an electronics engineer and I wanted something to sink some time into on the slow-burn what with lockdown going on so hey, here I am.

I have bought myself a 6384 120kv motor from Amazon, it's got very little information on the listing but I thought I'd take a punt for the price.

Here's a link:

I'm building my own controller for it and I'm having trouble working out the commutation cycle..

The hall sensors behave as though they are in a 60 degree configuration.. 110, 111, 011, 001, 000,100. I've measured this with my scope

The trouble is it doesn't commutate properly with the power phases wired any way possible. I've tested the output from my controller and I believe it is correct, the MOSFET gates are at least getting the correct signal at each point in the commutation cycle to enable the phases to be powered in the usual correct order for a 60 degree sensored motor.

The odd thing is I've actually managed to get it to spin pretty fuildly (without a load) using a program for operating on a 120 degree sensor arrangement, so I'm not sure if there is something funky about the way the poles are wired in this motor? It's been boggling my mind for now anyway.

Anyone ever used one of these motors in a build before?

There are so many of them for sale on the internet, but there is so little information available on them. All I could find was one page featuring a limited teardown. This one webpage also pointed out some manufacturing inconsistencies in terms of the sensor wiring colours so I am not hopeful that the other wires will be consistent with what other people have found but I'm interested to hear what other people have found with this motor anyway.

With a rating of 4600W at a price of £50 I couldn't resist, although I am not hopeful of it actually achieving that.

TLDR - Anyone used the 6384 120kv motor before? - Anyone know the commutation cycle for this motor, i.e which phases are energised at which hall position?

Thanks guys,
Z :D
Sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Why not just buy a controller that meets your needs and has been tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back