52T Chainring Cover for Himiway Cruiser?

ozzie21

Local time
1:10 PM
G'day Himiway Riders....
When I got my 2021 Himiway Cruiser it was programmed for a maximum top speed of 20 mph. I first changed the programming so I could get 28 mph. Then I ordered a new KD718 color display that was unrestricted and now I can get 33 mph top speed. But now at 33 mph I can't pedal fast enough to keep up with the motor at 33 mph.
I've ordered a kit to change my freewheel cluster and my chainring to change the gearing on my Himiway Cruiser so I can pedal and keep up with the motor at higher speeds.
The stock chainring guard is now smaller in diameter then the larger 52T chainring (the OEM chainring was 46T), so it sort of looks odd and doesn't really guard much.
What I've found is that for the larger chainring sizes there's very few to no options. I saw on YouTube where a guy got a 52T chainring with a guard from California eBikes but the bolt pattern for the spider/tooth plate, whatever the proper name might be, was very different than the Himiway & can't work.
I've attached a couple of photos.
One shows the OEM 46T chainring guard on the OEM chainring.
The other photo shows the 52T chainring with the OEM chainring guard.
Does anyone know of a good looking chainring guard that would fit the Cruiser 52T chainring?
Eventually I'll find something or get something made that looks right. In the meantime I'll live with it somehow.

Attachments

• Capture Himiway Cruiser Stock Chainring Guard.JPG
    Capture Himiway Cruiser Stock Chainring Guard.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 81yOZtvOlzL._SY400.jpg
    81yOZtvOlzL._SY400.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 352
G'day Himiway Riders....
When I got my 2021 Himiway Cruiser it was programmed for a maximum top speed of 20 mph. I first changed the programming so I could get 28 mph. Then I ordered a new KD718 color display that was unrestricted and now I can get 33 mph top speed. But now at 33 mph I can't pedal fast enough to keep up with the motor at 33 mph.
I've ordered a kit to change my freewheel cluster and my chainring to change the gearing on my Himiway Cruiser so I can pedal and keep up with the motor at higher speeds.
The stock chainring guard is now smaller in diameter then the larger 52T chainring (the OEM chainring was 46T), so it sort of looks odd and doesn't really guard much.
What I've found is that for the larger chainring sizes there's very few to no options. I saw on YouTube where a guy got a 52T chainring with a guard from California eBikes but the bolt pattern for the spider/tooth plate, whatever the proper name might be, was very different than the Himiway & can't work.
I've attached a couple of photos.
One shows the OEM 46T chainring guard on the OEM chainring.
The other photo shows the 52T chainring with the OEM chainring guard.
Does anyone know of a good looking chainring guard that would fit the Cruiser 52T chainring?
Eventually I'll find something or get something made that looks right. In the meantime I'll live with it somehow.
I was going to make the same change to the front chainring and found there was no guard that fit. It appears these rings are made for mountain bikes based on the bolt spacing of 104.

I was going to make the same change to the front chainring and found there was no guard what fit. It appears these rings are made for mountain bikes based on the bolt spacing of 104.
Yea seems like it. I'm gonna do it anyway and I'll try to figure something out.

A 11T to 34T x 7-speed freewheel and a 52T chainring. I just ordered a black chainring & his is red. Watch the YT video I have posted the link to. The name of his YT channel is "Stan The Reservoir Rat." All the vendors who he got the parts from had them in stock so I ordered exactly the same parts. I've had some correspondence with him and he's said he has had absolutley no issues with the modification so I figure it's safer and easier to do the same.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhhoKE7ogKA&list=WL&index=31&t=30s

A 11T to 34T x 7-speed freewheel and a 52T chainring. I just ordered a black chainring & his is red. Watch the YT video I have posted the link to. The name of his YT channel is "Stan The Reservoir Rat." All the vendors who he got the parts from had them in stock so I ordered exactly the same parts. I've had some correspondence with him and he's said he has had absolutely no issues with the modification so I figure it's safer and easier to do the same.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhhoKE7ogKA&list=WL&index=31&t=30s
I watched Stan's video as well he did seem to have to do a little work getting the free wheel off. I think that's exactly the combination I would do a 52 with an 11-34 should be a great gear set.

Let us know when you have it all together and what you feel about the ratio changes.

I watched Stan's video as well he did seem to have to do a little work getting the free wheel off. I think that's exactly the combination I would do a 52 with an 11-34 should be a great gear set.

Let us know when you have it all together and what you feel about the ratio changes.
Yeah he destroyed the OEM freewheel cluster getting it off. The issue is that the nut is larger than any tool that has the machined splines that fit inside to remove the cluster properly. This seems to be specific to Himiway. Maybe they did this unintentionally or maybe they did it on purpose to deter people from doing modifications. Stan mentions that in his video. So far I haven't been able to find a tool that fits over the nut. One person had commented that the Bolton eBikes tool fits and was guaranteeing it does, even though Bolton told me by email it doesn't. So I took a chance and bought the Bolton tool. Guess what? It doesn't fit. I measured both and the tool ID is 20.35mm and the nut is 21.59mm, only 1.24mm difference (48.8189 thousandths of an inch). I might try to either machine the ID of the tool a bit or round off the corners of the hex nut, or maybe both slightly so I can squeeze the tool by the nut. I have 3 motorcycles, one conventional mountain bike, another eBike and my Himiway Cruiser and I do all my own service and repairs, and I like to do things properly. From everything that I've read from people that have done this modification, every one has been very pleased. I have never seen any negative feedback.

Thanks for the information. I wonder if Kyle at Bolton would be willing to adjust the machining of his tool to fit over the Himiway nut. It does seem rather strange the nut is that large. Guess you could say it is their way of helping secure the axle from spinning under torque.

Yes it would be nice if was easy to get the proper tool. It seems like there's quite a few Himiway owners interested in doing this upgrade and it would be worthwhile for someone to produce a proper tool. A cheap tool like this can be usually bought for under $10 and the Bolton tool is $50. It is a better quality tool.

Attachments

• Capture Bolton Freewheel Tool.JPG
    Capture Bolton Freewheel Tool.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 312
Yeah he destroyed the OEM freewheel cluster getting it off. The issue is that the nut is larger than any tool that has the machined splines that fit inside to remove the cluster properly. This seems to be specific to Himiway. Maybe they did this unintentionally or maybe they did it on purpose to deter people from doing modifications. Stan mentions that in his video. So far I haven't been able to find a tool that fits over the nut. One person had commented that the Bolton eBikes tool fits and was guaranteeing it does, even though Bolton told me by email it doesn't. So I took a chance and bought the Bolton tool. Guess what? It doesn't fit. I measured both and the tool ID is 20.35mm and the nut is 21.59mm, only 1.24mm difference (48.8189 thousandths of an inch). I might try to either machine the ID of the tool a bit or round off the corners of the hex nut, or maybe both slightly so I can squeeze the tool by the nut. I have 3 motorcycles, one conventional mountain bike, another eBike and my Himiway Cruiser and I do all my own service and repairs, and I like to do things properly. From everything that I've read from people that have done this modification, every one has been very pleased. I have never seen any negative feedback.
I just came across a video that shows how to replace the freewheel on bikes made by Haidong in China. Himiway uses this company to private label their bikes from them. The video shows a very simple way to remove and replace the freewheel without destroying it.

Here is the link:
After watching this video I ordered the same freewheel and front sprocket that Stan mentioned in his video as I feel sure I can remove the old freewheel without going through its destruction as Stand did.

Thanks, yes I've seen videos of this being done. Not exactly this video you've sent the link to, but others doing almost exactly the same. If I can't make the tool I have work or get one that fits right this will be my option. Of course it looks easy in the video because the parts are all brand new and not tightened up as they would be after being is use, but it's a way that might work OK. There's got to be a way to do it and still keep the original parts in good reuseable condition.

Well my new gearing was delivered today. I will be waiting for a warmer day to install it and new calipers.

I have been wondering if a standard freewheel tool could be modded by cutting a slot in it with hacksaw or angle grinder wide enough to pass over the motor cable. There doesn't seem to be that much torque on that freewheel where the modded socket wouldn't work. What do you think?

OK....I received my new freewheel and chainring. I removed my OEM freewheel actually very easily exactly as shown in the video you posted. I had seen a couple of other videos that did similar. FYI the threads where the freewheel goes on had no grease or anti-sieze lubricant at all. If I ran it for a year or two it probably would have been seized on. See attached photos. The 52T chainring was rubbing on the frame if I wanted to install it on the inside of the crank the same way as OEM so I had to put it outside of the crank and leave the guard off. So after I had the new freewheel and 52T chainring on I went for a test ride. I cannot shift into 7th gear cuz the deraileur binds against the freewheel. I may need to lengthen my chain. Anyway temporarily I put the OEM 46T chainring back on. With the OEM 46T and the DRIFT MANIAC 11-34T Freewheel I was able to easily get a top speed of 34 mph and all shifting was smooth. Also in low gear it seems like it should be much better climbing hills due to the 11T low gear. I had noticeable better power stroke on top end and not trying to catch up to the motor output so much. I didn't really like the offset of the chain with the 52T chainring and I was concerned about alignment and possibly something piling up or breaking. Anyway so far it is a definite improvement. I've ordered a 50T chainring and I'm going to try it to see if I can mount it the same way as the 46T on the inside of the crank without interfering with the frame and still use the guard on the outside as in OEM configuration. I'm quite sure even with the 50T chainring I should be able to get at least 35 mph and for sure if I can make the 52T chainring work without binding up or causing any other issues, maybe more.
I don't know whether or not a standard freewheel removal tool could be modified. The Bolton one is already fairly thin walled and most others are cheaply made and modifying them would probably weaked them even more. I believe a very strong one could be made to be a 2-piece design and the walls thicker just so they allow the cable, so just an ID slightly larger than the cable. But unless you're a machinist, paying a machinist to make the first prototype would likely cost you a few hundred $$$. First try to remove the freewheel the same way I did and as shown in the video. I think you should be OK.

Attachments

• New Freewheel Installed.jpg
    New Freewheel Installed.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 277
  • OEM Chainring & OEM Chainring.jpg
    OEM Chainring & OEM Chainring.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 263
  • OEM Freewheel Removal.jpg
    OEM Freewheel Removal.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 309
oh shoot, I ordered the 52 tooth as well maybe I should send it back and get the 50 tooth.

BTW the 11 tooth is the highest gear and the hardest gear. The largest is the lowest ratio, easiest to pedal.

oh shoot, I ordered the 52 tooth as well maybe I should send it back and get the 50 tooth.

BTW the 11 tooth is the highest gear and the hardest gear. The largest is the lowest ratio, easiest to pedal.
Yeah correct on the gearing. After working with motorcycles so long playing with transmissions and sprockets I should know better than to let a reverse thinking typo like that slip through. I won't bother correcting it. I'll wait and see how the 50T fits and feels before I try the 52T again. If I can get the 50T on the inside of the crank bracket like the OEM without interference on the frame, the guard can still go on the outside and the original chain works OK I might leave it on the 50T. The new freewheel constuction is slightly different than the OEM and it was a little bit taller (wider) but all the gears shift fine. I was watching a Citizencycle YT video today where he changed a RadRover chainring to a 53T but he swapped out the crankset completely to one that included the 53T chainring. Mybe the RadRover frame is slightly different or the new complete crankset just lets the chainring barely clear the frame.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dZ4LaZsXQ&t=645s

Just for information purposes see attached specs for different sizes of chainrings. I ordered my 52T before I saw this. Anyone considering chainring changes can use this as reference to check if what they are considering might fit OK. I believe this applies to pretty much any brand of chainring.

Attachments

• Capture 46T OD.JPG
    Capture 46T OD.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Capture 50T-52T OD.JPG
    Capture 50T-52T OD.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 320
I was going to make the same change to the front chainring and found there was no guard that fit. It appears these rings are made for mountain bikes based on the bolt spacing of 104.
where do you get an unrestricted KD718 color display or how do you unrestricted it?

I just came across a video that shows how to replace the freewheel on bikes made by Haidong in China. Himiway uses this company to private label their bikes from them. The video shows a very simple way to remove and replace the freewheel without destroying it.

Here is the link:
After watching this video I ordered the same freewheel and front sprocket that Stan mentioned in his video as I feel sure I can remove the old freewheel without going through its destruction as Stand did.
Yeah thanks for the info didn't want to cut it off if I didn't have to .

where do you get an unrestricted KD718 color display or how do you unrestricted it?
I got mine from AliExpress but I checked last week and the seller I got mine from has a message that it's no longer available. But I think there's other sellers on AliExpress that have the KD718 and the KD986. Check out this guy's YouTube channel where he shows the KD718. He got his from the same seller as me. I see now on his FaceBook page (Ibraheem Suleyman) that he's now selling these KD718 displays. Send him a message on YouTube or contact him on FaceBook and send a FB Messenger message and he can tell you more and let you know if he's got the KD718 or KD986 available for sale........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z28F5uJ2vo&t=16s

Back