5' female ebike choices?

katz

Local time
1:56 PM
We're in the market for a gravel/hybrid type 500W ebike for a 5' tall female. 27"-28" max inseam. Hopefully we can stay in the $1000 or under range. Casual riders here. Any recommendations?

My wife is 4'11", she rides a micro, folding ebike that I converted the crankarms to 152mm.
450w hub motor in cast 14" wheels. large seat, large battery capacity.
It was purchased on Alibaba for $750.
It's her first ebike, just to check out whether she likes riding ebikes,
she feels that she's cheating compared to riding her regular road bike, MTB or recumbent bicycle.
She's been riding her ebike in neighborhood, paved trails, speed under 30 kmh,
battery has enough range for her not have to pedal at all for over 40 miles.
3 levels of PAS, 15, 20 & 30 kmh limits.
So far she's put about 200 miles on it since March this year.
32r9C9j.jpg

Sizing comparison next to my 27.5" wheel emtb:
eQJiIlS.jpg

My wife is 4'11", she rides a micro, folding ebike that I converted the crankarms to 152mm.
450w hub motor in cast 14" wheels. large seat, large battery capacity.
It was purchased on Alibaba for $750.
It's her first ebike, just to check out whether she likes riding ebikes,
she feels that she's cheating compared to riding her regular road bike, MTB or recumbent bicycle.
She's been riding her ebike in neighborhood, paved trails, speed under 30 kmh,
battery has enough range for her not have to pedal at all for over 40 miles.
3 levels of PAS, 15, 20 & 30 kmh limits.
So far she's put about 200 miles on it since March this year.
32r9C9j.jpg

Sizing comparison next to my 27.5" wheel emtb:
eQJiIlS.jpg

I was thinking of something like that, possibly a Lectric XP 2.0. I'm not sure about the feasibility of it on the gravel trails that we ride. Seems like they are more suited to urban city riding. Although, I did pass a female out on a gravel trail. I should have turned around and followed a bit to watch how it handled the trail.

A has some good bikes. Good knowledge from A.

Tell us a bit more about yur needs please.

Micro, folding ebikes are not well suited for gravel trail riding if you're not used to how they handle.
Few times my wife rode her micro ebike on gravel trails she did fine, but she's a seasoned rider and took her time on the trails, not trying to ride fast.

Lectric XP 2.0 is a great ebike, Wife also tried to ride it when I had it in the garage.
The step-thru model XP 2.0 was fitting her well, just the crankarms are a bit long for her short legs.
She felt that her knees are coming up to her chin on the upstrokes.
She felt the XP 2.0 was too big for her to handle, the fat tire really felt too much for her.
Eventually, if we do ride more on gravel trails she may change her mind.
kvXFqQU.jpg

Micro, folding ebikes are not well suited for gravel trail riding if you're not used to how they handle.
Few times my wife rode her micro ebike on gravel trails she did fine, but she's a seasoned rider and took her time on the trails, not trying to ride fast.

Lectric XP 2.0 is a great ebike, Wife also tried to ride it when I had it in the garage.
The step-thru model XP 2.0 was fitting her well, just the crankarms are a bit long for her short legs.
She felt the XP 2.0 was too big for her to handle, the fat tire really felt too much for her.
kvXFqQU.jpg
come here to virginia and i'll put yas up in an apartment. I'd love to ride with you :)

kvXFqQU.jpg

Short girls have it tough, lol. I would think that the companies would offer youth size mtb/hybrids though, which would be great for a 4'11" - 5'3" or so female. My wife is not a fan of the fat tire offerings that much...the ones that we have passed on the trail seem to generate a lot of tire noise from that large footprint. At least more noise that what we are used to with our comfort/cruiser type bikes.

Build her an Ebike.

Ok, Hub drives are good for flats.....mid drives are good on hills since we can change gears.

A and his spouse have some good bikes, I'm sure he'd be able to show ya some others.

Stay 2.5" or 2.75" tires. Sort of comfy..

come here to virginia and i'll put yas up in an apartment. I'd love to ride with you :)

Where in VA?
Prior to the pandemic, wife & I used to take out bikes on Amtrak trains from NYC down to DC and bike our way to stay with friends in Hedgesville, WV. Ride our bikes back to DC or all the way back to NYC for a week long cycling trip.
Been busy taking care of in-laws since COVID and have yet to take any cycling trips with my wife since.
I wonder if she will still be up for it these days.

Where in VA?
Prior to the pandemic, wife & I used to take out bikes on Amtrak trains from NYC down to DC and bike our way to stay with friends in Hedgesville, WV. Ride our bikes back to DC or all the way back to NYC for a week long cycling trip.
Been busy taking care of in-laws since COVID and have yet to take any cycling trips with my wife since.
I wonder if she will still be up for it these days.
Oh man i will keep yas in my prayers. I'm in Staunton VA.

from hedgesville back to DC :oops:
That is a long ride brother. My butt hurts after 40 miles :ROFLMAO:

from hedgesville back to DC :oops:
That is a long ride brother. My butt hurts after 40 miles :ROFLMAO:

The ride from Hedgesville, WV to DC is mostly along the Potomac River, mostly flat.
Plenty of places to rest & eat along the way, just under 100 miles and a relaxed ride on recumbents in 5-6 hours including stops & meals.
I wouldn't do the same ride on an upright bike is I can avoid it.

My wife would probably not do a long ride like that for a while, taking care of the in-laws have taken up much of her time.
As we all get older, the preparation for these longer rides may also take longer, physical part is easier;
but the mental part of being away from those you care for is more difficult.

The longer this pandemic drags on, the more impact people will see/feel, even to those who are not getting sick.
Until folks start looking at infection rates the same as checking the weather:
If you know it is going to rain, you bring an umbrella along.
If you know the infection rate is getting high, you wear a mask and keep social distance.

The older I get the more I keep vigilant about this stuff.
It's just a old habit from working in hospital, watching Americans (among others) die unnecessarily.

Before you buying an ebike, you'd better think about what kinds of ebike you need and what's the purpose you want. I think below these pages maybe help you get clear of what should be sonsidered when you buying an ebike! Good luck for you chooing the right ebike and join us!

Build her an Ebike.

Ok, Hub drives are good for flats.....mid drives are good on hills since we can change gears.

A and his spouse have some good bikes, I'm sure he'd be able to show ya some others.

Stay 2.5" or 2.75" tires. Sort of comfy..
Where can I get a Kit that will fit 2.5 tires?

I was thinking of something like that, possibly a Lectric XP 2.0. I'm not sure about the feasibility of it on the gravel trails that we ride. Seems like they are more suited to urban city riding. Although, I did pass a female out on a gravel trail. I should have turned around and followed a bit to watch how it handled the trail.
Katz my wife has the Lectric XP 2.0, she is short (BTW it has been replaced with improved 3.0). Have to put seat down all the way, and bought extension bar from Amazon to bring handle bar closer to her it works really good. The bike is heavy, she has lost her balance stopping a few times and then it feel over. We love it but if we did it over again would go with Lectric Lite (if it had a stepthrough) or possibly go with their new trike. Hope that helps.

Back